PDA

View Full Version : A Guitarist's Favorite Bass Players

Katastrophe
April 13th, 2010, 11:45 PM
NWBasser's thread got me to thinking... Bass players just flat don't get enough recognition.

After all, they hold the rhythm section down, and some play some damn fine lead lines as well. Us skinny stringers can't do our widdly-widdly-skreedly-WOOO without 'em.

So, here are a few of my faves:

Billy Sheehan: I don't think there's a thing the man can't do with a bass.
Steve Harris: Defined Iron Maiden's sound for decades.
Cliff Burton: Put down some of the heaviest bass lines ever, and could solo beautifully.
Lemmy: I know, it's Motorhead, and he's not the most technical out there. But dammit, it's freakin' Lemmy!
Dave Ellefson: Megadeth's prodigal bassist returns on their latest album and he can hold up with the best of 'em
John Alderete: The man was shredtastic with Racer X.

There are a ton more, but wanted to leave a few for discussion.

Jimi75
April 14th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Good thread!

The first bass player that I admired was Cliff Burton. :dude
Nowadays my absolute favourite is Pino Palladino. No other bass player in my eyes knows better than Pino how to contribute to the song and at the same time how to lay down some sick licks without being too self centered. Sting is another good example for the above mentioned quality.

Waiting for the first Paul Mcartney mention....

R_of_G
April 14th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Ron Carter
Dave Holland
Michael Henderson
Greg Cohen
George Porter Jr.
Larry Graham
Billy Cox
Colin Greenwood
Dee Dee Ramone

syo
April 14th, 2010, 06:48 AM
What an excellent thread.

I would have to second Pino Palladino.

My all time favorite would be John Entwistle.

A few notables:

Gerry McAvoy
Dave Pegg
Danny Thompson
Patrick Djivas
Bootsy Collins
Chris Squire

FrankenFretter
April 14th, 2010, 07:00 AM
William Murderface and Michael Anthony.

Just kidding. I'd second many of the above and add Matt Freeman, Les Claypool, Tom Petersson, and of course, lest we forget the obvious, Geddy Lee.

wingsdad
April 14th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Waiting for the first Paul Mcartney mention....
I would've in the Bass Player's favorite GP thread, but I think Sir Paul's favorite guitar player is and always was himself. He dissed Harrison's skills, often taking the lead out of his hands, and he practically taught Lennon how to tune his guitar as lads.

But since Macca converted from 3rd guitar player elbowing for position in the Beatles formative years and became a bass player out of shear necessity, then I s'pose he's his own favorite bass player, too.

marnold
April 14th, 2010, 08:35 AM
In addition to the ones already mentioned:
For rock/metal: the ubiquitous Rudy Sarzo
For funk: Louis Johnson and Flea

otaypanky
April 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Music has been a huge part of my life since I was a little kid. When I was 6 my grandmother gave me a pocket transistor radio and I was hooked. But for all I have listened to and love music, I was shocked when I bought a bass 2 years ago. I know my way around a fretboard, I know where notes are, but knowing WHAT to say with a bass puzzled me.
It's not hard to tell when a bass player is screwing up the song. But when a bassist is on the mark, it's such an integral part of the music that I never zero'd in on what was being played. It's kind of like not seeing the forest for the trees if you know what I mean.
With a guitar I can usually come up with something musical to say, but with a bass it's quite different for me. I think most guitarists think they can also play bass, but simply fretting notes is not playing bass. It's a whole different mindset ~
Since we're speaking of bass, here's a clip that always makes me smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0&playnext_from=TL&videos=u1z65O6U8bo

NWBasser
April 14th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Music has been a huge part of my life since I was a little kid. When I was 6 my grandmother gave me a pocket transistor radio and I was hooked. But for all I have listened to and love music, I was shocked when I bought a bass 2 years ago. I know my way around a fretboard, I know where notes are, but knowing WHAT to say with a bass puzzled me.
It's not hard to tell when a bass player is screwing up the song. But when a bassist is on the mark, it's such an integral part of the music that I never zero'd in on what was being played. It's kind of like not seeing the forest for the trees if you know what I mean.
With a guitar I can usually come up with something musical to say, but with a bass it's quite different for me. I think most guitarists think they can also play bass, but simply fretting notes is not playing bass. It's a whole different mindset ~
Since we're speaking of bass, here's a clip that always makes me smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0&playnext_from=TL&videos=u1z65O6U8bo

:applause

deeaa
April 14th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Due to my musical preferences, I'd have to say Steve HarrisĀ“is #1.

There's a lot of really great bassist in jazz etc...Jaco Pastorius etc. but my preferences go to harder music. And...well Harris is more than a fifth of Maiden, without his relentless and always pushing bass the band would simply not exist in any form even remotely like it is.

NWBasser
April 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Due to my musical preferences, I'd have to say Steve HarrisĀ“is #1.

There's a lot of really great bassist in jazz etc...Jaco Pastorius etc. but my preferences go to harder music. And...well Harris is more than a fifth of Maiden, without his relentless and always pushing bass the band would simply not exist in any form even remotely like it is.

Consider too, that Harris does much of the writing for the band. There's a great deal of interplay between him and the guitarists, tracking together through fast runs and riffs, etc.

NWBasser
April 14th, 2010, 02:36 PM
William Murderface and Michael Anthony.

Just kidding. I'd second many of the above and add Matt Freeman, Les Claypool, Tom Petersson, and of course, lest we forget the obvious, Geddy Lee.

Well, considering that WM and Michael Anthony are known to chug along on a root note, that may be a big appeal for a lot of guitarists who want the bass out of the way so that they can rip and rail all over.

Les is a great bass player, but he's so busy it'd be a bit hard for a guitarist to follow. I personally really like his playing, but I'm not sure a whole lot of guitar players would want jam with him. Doable I'm sure, but quite a challenge.

I think Freeman is the lead guitarist in Rancid; he just plays it on bass! Those guys are a bit upside down with guitar holding the rhythm and bass ripping out the melodies. Sounds very cool to me!:AOK

guitartango
April 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Here our my favourites (all UK of course)

Jet Harris
Mark King (Level 42 funk king)
Jack Bruce
John Deacon (Queen)
Macca
John Ent(the who)

Spudman
April 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I like these guys a lot because they know how to play for the song but can also put on the Wizard Melody Hat and play some very sweet lines as well. Plus they are all alive and I listen to them on a regular basis.

Jonas Reingold
Tony Levin
Marco Mendoza
Tony Franklin
Bryan Beller
Roger Glover
Glenn Hughes
Dave LaRue
Randy George

MAXIFUNK
April 14th, 2010, 05:05 PM
SOME NAMES NOT ALREADY MENTIONED

STANLEY CLARKE
MARCUS MILLER
VICTOR WOOTEN
ALPHONSO JOHNSON
LOUIS JOHNSON
MARK ADAMS
MORRIS PLEASURE
JACO
RODNEY "SKIT" CURTIS
PHILIP LYNOTT
NATHAN EAST
TOM THUMB
FLEA
JAMES JAMERSON
WILLIE DIXON
BERNARD EDWARDS
BILLY "BASS" NELSON
VERDINE WHITE
DONALD "DUCK" DUNN
JERRY "WYZARD SEAY

Ok I'll stop there! BASS WAS MY 1ST LOVE!!!!!

edawg
April 14th, 2010, 05:51 PM
My wife loves the band Phish, I'm not that into them but their bass player Mike Gordon is a damn fine bass player.:applause

Katastrophe
April 14th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Well, considering that WM and Michael Anthony are known to chug along on a root note, that may be a big appeal for a lot of guitarists who want the bass out of the way so that they can rip and rail all over.

Les is a great bass player, but he's so busy it'd be a bit hard for a guitarist to follow. I personally really like his playing, but I'm not sure a whole lot of guitar players would want jam with him. Doable I'm sure, but quite a challenge.

I actually prefer it when a bass player moves alot under the guitar rhythm. Well placed notes can make a guitar chord sound completely different.

Playing "in the pocket" can be a good thing sometimes, but not all the time!

Les would be a blast to play with, I think. I also think a good guitar player would give rhythms with Les plenty of space, so he can do his thing.

marnold
April 14th, 2010, 09:56 PM
SOME NAMES NOT ALREADY MENTIONED
Well, I mentioned Louis Johnson and Flea already, but I'll forgive you. :) They're worth repeating.

NWBasser
April 18th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I couldn't/won't make any lists of great bass players. For one thing, I'd have no idea where to even start and then there would be no ending. It would just go on and on and on.:thwap

FWIW though, it's well worth checking out some of the early Heart tunes. Steve Fossen is a great player and does some really tasty bass lines. There are a few where he does harmonies with the lead guitar solos. He and Roger Fisher make a great combo.

Kestrel
May 12th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Based on my musical preferences, my favourite bassists are:

Peter Hook - Joy Division/New Order
Simon Gallup - The Cure
Les Pattinson - Echo & The Bunnymen
Mark Burgess - The Chameleons
Patrick Fitzgerald - Kitchens of Distinction
Simon Raymonde - Cocteau Twins
David J. Haskins - Bauhaus

deeaa
May 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Based on my musical preferences, my favourite bassists are:

Peter Hook - Joy Division/New Order
Simon Gallup - The Cure
Les Pattinson - Echo & The Bunnymen
Mark Burgess - The Chameleons
Patrick Fitzgerald - Kitchens of Distinction
Simon Raymonde - Cocteau Twins
David J. Haskins - Bauhaus

Whoa. The Cure is the only band I've ever heard of on this list...this is better than radio, always come accross new bands/band names to check out.

pes_laul
May 13th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Nathan east (anita baker)
Guy berryman (coldplay)
Nate Mendal (foo fighters)
Mike Gordon (Phish)

those are just a few

windycityblues
May 17th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Jaco Patorius
Victor Wooten
Stanley Clarke
Charles Mingus
Ray Brown
Paul Chambers

sunvalleylaw
May 17th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Pino Palladino is I guess my overall favorite.

I am going to throw Geddy Lee in there too, because Rush just rocks, and the his bass playing is such a big part of the sound.

KNZru4JG_Uo

I also really respect Eugene Wright, for his work on Take Five, with all its funky timing and in things like this one.

rTXCieEQqOk