PDA

View Full Version : Would you swap?

deeaa
April 14th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Hello guys,

I perhaps have an opportunity to swap my bedroom/recording amp Tech-21 TM-10 for a Vox ADVT 30 with a foot controller.

Would you make the swap?

Those TM-10's are _very_ hard to come accross and I hunted for mine high and low...and indeed it is a great amp for the purpose - D/I recording & 'bedroom' playing...they collect great prices these days too. I've pretty much sworn never to part with it, as I'd probably regret at some point...

BUT then again, I've been looking for a tad more versatility of late...I guess it just itches to change one's gear now and zen, I'm sure you agree...and while the techie does yield a spectacular driven/marshall type wail and crunch at extremely low levels and D/I, it isn't at its best in clean tones etc.

And while a used vox could be had pretty cheap, I dunno...I don't have any dough right now, in fact I have more like too much debt to pay off on my credit...so buying is not an option.

So...any opinions?

deeaa
April 14th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Well it seems I sort of pretty much closed the deal...it comes with footswitch too...anyhow, opinions on the amp still welcome...I sure hope I won't regret the swap heavily...

Jimi75
April 14th, 2010, 06:58 AM
The Vox is a cool amp. Taking your situation into consideration it sounds like a good deal. I hope you're not gonna miss your Tech21, you know it's always the same, you sell or swap something and then you start missing it.

Robert
April 14th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Never tried the Tech21 so I can't say.

sumitomo
April 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Hard to come by and you swore you would never part,Hum?Nothing like kicking your own *** into next week.Keep it! Sumi:D

wingsdad
April 14th, 2010, 07:48 AM
:nope No way. If you part with that TM10, a model they disco'd a few years ago, you may never find another, so you'd best be sure you're 'done' with it forever. If all you're somewhat disenchanted with is finding desirable clean tones with it, pick up a used Roland MicroCube or Cube30. They're plentiful, so they're low-priced, and have been a proven commodity for much longer than the Vox (read: Korg) ADT30 or its series.

deeaa
April 14th, 2010, 08:12 AM
:nope No way. If you part with that TM10, a model they disco'd a few years ago, you may never find another, so you'd best be sure you're 'done' with it forever. If all you're somewhat disenchanted with is finding desirable clean tones with it, pick up a used Roland MicroCube or Cube30. They're plentiful, so they're low-priced, and have been a proven commodity for much longer than the Vox (read: Korg) ADT30 or its series.

Ayh, I hear you...but...the thing is, no money now...plus I find I have used the techie VERY little lately anyway...well it's a tough call...

BUT I have owned a bunch of tech 21 products...TM-10, SansAMP, TriAC, PSA-1.1, RevBoost...for over, I dunno, a decade already. I love 'em but, if I really think back, I have basically used them for 'playing for fun' for a looooong time...I don't need them for recording any more, now I have Amplitube 3...

Maybe it is time for something different, you know? Change usually is good, in the long run...in one way or another. Maybe it'd spark me to play more and different stuff, having more sounds at easy access, not just that ACDC sound...

marnold
April 14th, 2010, 08:30 AM
While I like my AD30VT, I am not a fan of its line out for recording. It works, but that's about all you can say for it. The newer VT30s are supposed to be a lot better in that regard.

Eric
April 14th, 2010, 09:07 AM
This is pretty much what I was going to say. You could always DI with a Sansamp or something, but given your love of dirt, I don't think trading in your TM10 for a larger amp just for the clean tone is worth it.

If you need something for cleans, I was actually also going to recommend a microcube if/when the funds came and you still felt like you needed it.

DeanEVO_Dude
April 14th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Well it seems I sort of pretty much closed the deal...it comes with footswitch too...anyhow, opinions on the amp still welcome...I sure hope I won't regret the swap heavily...

Well, we all have that "one that got away" story, I hope this isn't yours... LOL

It sounds like a heluva deal, seems that guy had searched "high and low" for the Tech 21 also. Besides, you can always get a GT-2, right?

Congrats!

SuperSwede
April 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I wouldnt swap it... imo those trademark amphs will be sought after in the future and the AD30 will not.