PDA

View Full Version : Tele for $250 on CL

FrankenFretter
April 15th, 2010, 07:25 AM
This seems a bit suspicious to me. Two years old, and he's only asking $250? Obviously that's a stock photo. What do you think?

http://salem.craigslist.org/msg/1693031997.html

sumitomo
April 15th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Go have a look and put your hands on it,but others are going to react the same,some people are strapped for cash,but if it is good it won't last long.Sumi:D

M29
April 15th, 2010, 08:01 AM
The last thing he says is look for a quick sale...Tread lightly...:socool

Heywood Jablomie
April 15th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I saw that one and wondered a bit, too. But he's really asking the "correct" price for it - 50% of its new price. Maybe he's the odd Craigslist seller who's actually in the real world.

Jimi75
April 15th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Looks legit. Why not cheking it. I mean 250 is tremendously great price for that guitar.

duhvoodooman
April 15th, 2010, 08:26 AM
If I was trying to move a stolen guitar quickly, my CL listing would look a lot like that. Low prices so that it sells fast. No photo so that the rightful owner doesn't see & recognize his guitar. And if he wants to meet you in a Wal-Mart parking lot when you ask to see it, that'll fit the profile, too. Might be perfectly legit, but be careful.

Tig
April 15th, 2010, 09:11 AM
If I was trying to move a stolen guitar quickly, my CL listing would look a lot like that. Low prices so that it sells fast. No photo so that the rightful owner doesn't see & recognize his guitar. And if he wants to meet you in a Wal-Mart parking lot when you ask to see it, that'll fit the profile, too. Might be perfectly legit, but be careful.

Good points and advice.
I never consider buying if there aren't any actual photos of the gear being sold.

Eric
April 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I saw that one and wondered a bit, too. But he's really asking the "correct" price for it - 50% of its new price. Maybe he's the odd Craigslist seller who's actually in the real world.
Is that the rule of thumb? I didn't know, but that's good reference info -- also helps give me an idea of whether it's worth it to sell stuff or not.

hubberjub
April 15th, 2010, 10:42 AM
He's using a stock photo of a Highway 1 Tele. If it really is a Highway 1 it's worth it. Go see it. The serial number should start with a Z. If it does then it's US built.

duhvoodooman
April 15th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Is that the rule of thumb? I didn't know, but that's good reference info -- also helps give me an idea of whether it's worth it to sell stuff or not.
I think it depends highly on what the item is (desirability factor) and the condition it's in. I would consider 50% on the low side for a good quality guitar from a "name" manufacturer in good to excellent condition. I usually figure something in the 60% - 70% range on eBay, maybe a little less on CL, because there aren't any seller fees.

And just to be accurate in this present example: If he did indeed pay $700 new, the asking price of $250 is only 36%--not even close to 50%. Smells fishy to me....

sumitomo
April 15th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I have bought stuff low price that was good,it should be at a house and check out the item (and seller).It dosen't smell fishy,now that kazoo that chick was playing that Spud posted now that smells fishy! Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
April 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM
And just to be accurate in this present example: If he did indeed pay $700 new, the asking price of $250 is only 36%--not even close to 50%. Smells fishy to me....
Another possibility is that it's just beat to **** and a photo would discourage potential interest.....

FrankenFretter
April 15th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I sent him an email asking for photos of the actual guitar. We'll see what happens. I'm kind of with DVM on this. Something just doesn't add up. Then again, it is April 15th.

duhvoodooman
April 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM
...Then again, it is April 15th.
True, dat! The specter of the IRS can force a man to do strange & inscrutable things!

Commodore 64
April 18th, 2010, 06:31 AM
I'm an expert in these things. I can assure you my judgment is sound. I can spot a fake a mile away. It's definitely real. :eek:

FrankenFretter
April 18th, 2010, 06:59 AM
His response to my request for photos was to tell me that the guitar was sold, but could he interest me in a great deal on phone and Internet from [big cable company]? I happen to work for that big cable company, so it makes me angry that there are people representing themselves as our representatives that are using bait and switch methods. I'm going to let my boss's boss know about this.

Kazz
April 18th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I'm an expert in these things. I can assure you my judgment is sound. I can spot a fake a mile away. It's definitely real. :eek:

This may well be the funniest thing I have read on these forms in years. I am very glad to see that you see the light in this.

Algonquin
April 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM
This may well be the funniest thing I have read on these forms in years. I am very glad to see that you see the light in this.

+1 :AOK

Katastrophe
April 18th, 2010, 11:16 AM
His response to my request for photos was to tell me that the guitar was sold, but could he interest me in a great deal on phone and Internet from [big cable company]? I happen to work for that big cable company, so it makes me angry that there are people representing themselves as our representatives that are using bait and switch methods. I'm going to let my boss's boss know about this.

Please do... That's just slimy!

Brian Krashpad
April 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM

My rules of thumb for a good deal (not necessarily that I won't go higher) are:

Used: 1/2 of street

New: 1/2 of MSRP

Obviously, condition, case, brand, all factor in.

Eric
April 20th, 2010, 02:17 PM
My rules of thumb for a good deal (not necessarily that I won't go higher) are:

Used: 1/2 of street

New: 1/2 of MSRP

Obviously, condition, case, brand, all factor in.
Hmm. So I guess the question is whether you'd say everyone uses those same numbers. I guess it's a good way to gauge where to start when selling stuff.

FrankenFretter
April 20th, 2010, 07:07 PM
A quick update: The poster of this ad is a contracted direct sales rep for [cable company] and his boss is being made aware of his actions. Depending on whether or not this is his first offense, he may be written up, or if it's an ongoing issue, he may be terminated. My boss was grateful for the information I passed on to him.

Brian Krashpad
April 21st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Hmm. So I guess the question is whether you'd say everyone uses those same numbers. I guess it's a good way to gauge where to start when selling stuff.

Fwiw, I totally disregard those as a seller.

;)