PDA

View Full Version : Minor rant: Check you email at concerts..?

poodlesrule
April 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Scene: last night, Boston club, Soulive on stage
(whee, second E335 sighting is less than a week, I am on a roll!))

Guy standing next to me checks his Blackberry every five minutes.
Then does it again in the middle of a rising guitar solo -you know the kind that keeps rising and becomes very lofty...
That dude almost ruined it. good thing the groove had a great drive!

It the Blackberry activity is sooo important, then that dude should have stayed home, IMO.

WTH.

In movie theaters too. Too bad jammers are illegal
I am toying with the idea of carrying a water pistol, and squirt at offenders, from a distance, of course!

Eric
April 16th, 2010, 11:15 AM
It the Blackberry activity is sooo important, then that dude should have stayed home, IMO.
Yeah I don't think it's acceptable, but I can understand the compulsion. When I get bored at work, I find myself checking my email and this message board more times than I would like to admit publicly.

It's that chance for a little bit of human interaction that keeps you from separating from it entirely. In that way, blackberries are a blessing and a curse. I'm glad I've never owned a fancy phone that lets me check emails.

kidsmoke
April 16th, 2010, 11:35 AM
to your point, boredom would be a quasi qualification, but if you paid good money to get into a club to see live music, what the h*** takes precedence over a climactic moment in the show?

That's just bad form...disrespectful even, to the performers and the patrons.

I agree, a water blast to the temple of such an offender would be an AWESOME sight to behold.

I'm far more addicted to my iPhone than I care to admit, but you'll never catch me checking it during a live show.

Spudman
April 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
How the heck did we ever survive so long without our phones?

kidsmoke
April 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM

I don't know about you, but I've had the occasion to "forget" my phone at home. It makes for an awesome afternoon.

markb
April 16th, 2010, 01:44 PM

We rubbed along somehow. We even managed to buy musical instruments without interweb user reviews. How on earth did that work :french :sarcasm

Spudman
April 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I don't know about you, but I've had the occasion to "forget" my phone at home. It makes for an awesome afternoon.

I like to do that too. I wouldn't even have a phone but recently got married and my wife surprised me with one for Christmas.

We rubbed along somehow. We even managed to buy musical instruments without interweb user reviews. How on earth did that work :french :sarcasm

Never said I couldn't do without the reviews, just that I like using them from time to time.:yum

bigG
April 16th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I proudly and publicly admit to not having, and never have had, a cell phone, nor any kind of pod, pad, palm or berry. My life is SO simplified, in every way. I'm a free bird, baby! :french

tjcurtin1
April 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM
bigG - you must be 'the last man on earth' (see Loudon Wainwright song) Good on ya!

sumitomo
April 16th, 2010, 07:22 PM
The only time I use the phone is for my business 8-5.Not at home or weekends.I take a cell with me on long trips for emergency only.I don't like all this impersonal phone talk,now all this impersonal computer talk that's OK.Gee I'm bad.Sumi:D

Tig
April 17th, 2010, 01:56 AM

Be sure to forget the watch as well. It helps to create a perfect day! :happy

Smell phones and fart (smart) phones are way overrated, outside of emergency use.
Yet another "look at my new tech toy" voyage into mindless consumerism, IMO.

markb
April 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Be sure to forget the watch as well. It helps to create a perfect day! :happy

Smell phones and fart (smart) phones are way overrated, outside of emergency use.
Yet another "look at my new tech toy" voyage into mindless consumerism, IMO.

Indeed. The standard response to anyone suggesting that someone's cell phone use is inappropriate is "it's an important call". This should be translated as "Look at me! I got a call! On my cell phone! Ain't I important!!??".

player
April 17th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Don't have any of em or intend to Ha!