PDA

View Full Version : Strap locks

Plank_Spanker
October 2nd, 2006, 04:58 PM
How many here go "commando" with just plain strap pegs? I'm a firm believer in strap locks. I've seen some primo guitars take dives off of straps, and the results weren't pretty...........................

Robert
October 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
I do both - I have cheap plastic "locks" on one guitar and none on the others. I may have some "gambler-blood" in me... luckily most of my guitars are cheap anyway (not that that's a good excuse...).

Tone2TheBone
October 3rd, 2006, 07:46 AM
I only have strap locks on my Gibson. The angle of the top strap button is too great to use it without one.

duhvoodooman
October 3rd, 2006, 08:22 AM
AAMOF, I just put strap-locks on my Strat and Dot last week, after having 'em on the LP for several months. After having straps pop loose a couple of times and being lucky enough to "catch" the guitar each time it happened, I decided to stop tempting fate and do it right....

Spudman
October 3rd, 2006, 09:00 AM
I'm pretty careful when I pick up and put on my guitars and watch for the possible drop. Besides, doing straplocks to all my guitars would be pricey indeed. I'm just careful. I do have some straplocks on my regular gigging guitars and only do back flips while playing those.

I've just gotten into the habit of thinking "if it could possibly fall then check it first so that it doesn't happen." Much cheaper and safer that way.

SuperSwede
October 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah, straplocks for 49 guitars would probably scare away El Credito from the wallet forever.

Leonidas
October 3rd, 2006, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I have strap loks on all of my electrics. I think they are a great idea. guaranteed no dropping the instrument.

But unlike some others here, I only have 2. Haha

Plank_Spanker
October 3rd, 2006, 11:25 AM
I have strap locks on every guitar except the acoustics.

Tim
October 3rd, 2006, 01:49 PM
A few months back we did have a few posts about slip on plastic locks for normal guitar straps. I beleive the majority vote was they did not work properly. Any new Fretters have anything to add on this topic?

tremoloman
October 3rd, 2006, 03:16 PM
Every guitar I own has them except my SX's. I was going to keep my Jazzmaster stock, but the retro strap broke in the middle of song at our last gig. I was lucky to keep it from hitting the floor, but I had to play the rest of the song crouched down since I couldn't stand up with the strap broken. Talk about a Spinal Tap moment...

Tone2TheBone
October 3rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Every guitar I own has them except my SX's. I was going to keep my Jazzmaster stock, but the retro strap broke in the middle of song at our last gig. I was lucky to keep it from hitting the floor, but I had to play the rest of the song crouched down since I couldn't stand up with the strap broken. Talk about a Spinal Tap moment...

You didn't open for a puppet show did you? ;)

tremoloman
October 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
LOL... are you referring to Best In Show when Christopher Guest plays the Vets hall with the dummy? ;)

Plank_Spanker
October 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Ah, the "Oh S*@t!" adrenaline rush! :)

The worst stage dive I ever saw was a Les Paul, and the funny thing was that I was talking to the guy about strap locks on the band's break - "Don't need 'em. I'm careful and they're too expensive".

Lo and behold, he took his hand off the neck when he started singing, and the front peg let loose. The guitar hit that hard floor and off came the headstock. It was painful to see and the guy just froze and started shaking. I was almost as freaked out as he was. :eek:

I'm a strap lock evangelist, and I probably irritate some folks with it. Whether you play gigs or just play in your bedroom, a good guitar is a good guitar and $15 is a small price to pay to protect it.

**************Gingerly climbing off of soapbox now**************

sunvalleylaw
December 28th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Ah, the "Oh S*@t!" adrenaline rush! :)

The worst stage dive I ever saw was a Les Paul, and the funny thing was that I was talking to the guy about strap locks on the band's break - "Don't need 'em. I'm careful and they're too expensive".

Lo and behold, he took his hand off the neck when he started singing, and the front peg let loose. The guitar hit that hard floor and off came the headstock. It was painful to see and the guy just froze and started shaking. I was almost as freaked out as he was. :eek:

I'm a strap lock evangelist, and I probably irritate some folks with it. Whether you play gigs or just play in your bedroom, a good guitar is a good guitar and $15 is a small price to pay to protect it.

**************Gingerly climbing off of soapbox now**************

Ok Plank, I'm convinced. You use Schaller locks, right? Saw them for about $14 at MF. Would they be the best for my strat?

kerc
December 28th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Guitarfetish.com sells their Straplock copies for $9.95. Unfortunately they're outta stock as I type.

tot_Ou_tard
December 28th, 2006, 06:43 AM
I have strap locks on both my guitars. But they're Godins so they come with them.

Plank_Spanker
December 28th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Ok Plank, I'm convinced. You use Schaller locks, right? Saw them for about $14 at MF. Would they be the best for my strat?

I prefer the Schaller locks and they work great on Strats.

t_ross33
December 28th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Just picked up a set of Schaller locks - gonna pop 'em on Cherry tonight.

Plank_Spanker
December 28th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Just picked up a set of Schaller locks - gonna pop 'em on Cherry tonight.

Be sure to use a little dab of LocTite on the nut when you thread it on.

Big_Rob
December 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I have the Fender Schaller strap locks on my Strat. I had the plastic strap locks on my Ibanez but I took them off because my leather strap was too thick to be able to use them.

marnold
December 28th, 2006, 06:06 PM
OK, I bought some Schaller locks for my 51 and my Fender. The problem is that the original screw is bigger than the one that comes with the locks. It won't fit through the post that attaches to the guitar. The Schaller screws won't screw in tightly. Thoughts?

Plank_Spanker
December 28th, 2006, 09:18 PM
OK, I bought some Schaller locks for my 51 and my Fender. The problem is that the original screw is bigger than the one that comes with the locks. It won't fit through the post that attaches to the guitar. The Schaller screws won't screw in tightly. Thoughts?

Two ways I've done this:

Have the Schaller peg machined out to fit the original peg screw

Or

Toothpick and wood glue the hole for the new Schaller screw

tot_Ou_tard
December 29th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Be sure to use a little dab of LocTite on the nut when you thread it on.
Are you saying to put LocTite on the nut that connects the connector onto the strap?

If so, thanks! I didn't think of that & sometimes that nut gets loose & I have to retighten it.

Plank_Spanker
December 29th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Are you saying to put LocTite on the nut that connects the connector onto the strap?

If so, thanks! I didn't think of that & sometimes that nut gets loose & I have to retighten it.

I apply a little dab to the threads on the lock before I torque down the nut. Even then, checking the nut for tightness is a major preflight item before I use a strap.

tot_Ou_tard
December 29th, 2006, 07:40 AM
I apply a little dab to the threads on the lock before I torque down the nut. Even then, checking the nut for tightness is a major preflight item before I use a strap.
I'll go scrounge around in the basement & see if I have any LocTite. Otherwise it's off to the hardware store for me. Thanks again Spanky.

Plank_Spanker
December 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Any time! :D Let me know how it works out for you.

Big_Rob
December 29th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Did you buy the Fender Schallers or the regular Schallers?

marnold
December 29th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Did you buy the Fender Schallers or the regular Schallers?
Regular Schallers. I didn't realize there was any other kind.

tremoloman
December 29th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I have straplocks on every guitar I own except my '62 Jazzmaster which may change since my strap came loose a couple of gigs ago and just missed smashing against the floor in the middle of a song.

They are very affordable, riliable as a rock, and make switching guitars a snap! (or in this case, a pull) :)

marnold
January 3rd, 2007, 09:58 PM
Toothpick and wood glue the hole for the new Schaller screw
I used this method tonight. It seems to have worked very slickly! We'll see how it holds up.

Plank_Spanker
January 4th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I used this method tonight. It seems to have worked very slickly! We'll see how it holds up.

With the right size toothpick and good wood glue, I've never had to revisit an old job using this method.

Justaguyin_nc
September 18th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Guitarfetish.com sells their Straplock copies for $9.95. Unfortunately they're outta stock as I type.

I got a pair of theirs... they are HUGE... much larger then the other types.. I dunno if that makes them better though.. work on a spring and 5 little ball bearings.. first set had to be returned...they do great turn around for their customers.. I think I would buy another brand though when the time comes .. just due to size and looks for me personally... but they do work!

pes_laul
September 18th, 2007, 03:49 PM
i use the strap locks that come with the dimarzios i have only one guitar so you goto play it safe ya know

sunvalleylaw
March 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I just put Dunlop Straplocks on my strat. Easy project, and I feel good about it. I like how these Dunlop ones clip together. I bet Schallers are great too, but I went with these as part of my MF coupon order of miscellaneous stuff.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-DualDesign-Straplok-System?sku=364008

Jimi75
March 11th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I have the Schaller locks on all of my guitars.

Brian Krashpad
March 11th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I just make homemade ones out of plastic disks cut out from those fake credit cards I get in the mail.

They eventually wear out but if you keep an eye on them and don't do really stupid stuff (like the over-the-shoulder guitar spins, etc.) they're fine.

just strum
March 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I have the Dunlop on my Dot, but going to switch that one over to Schaller so I can use the same strap that I use for the Strat. The Strat came with Schaller Loks. Nothing wrong with the Dunlop Loks, so I will probably install them on my ARC300.

The only problem I had with the Dulop was installing them on a thick strap. I cut off some of the leather to reduce the thickness of the strap, but it took a good 45 minutes to install them on both sides of the strap.

oldguy
March 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Dunlops are secure, just a bit more work to install, IMO.

just strum
March 12th, 2008, 07:37 PM
When it comes to either Dunlop or Schaller, does anyone know if you can buy just the parts that install on the guitar? Eventually you will have a lot of the belt portion or have to go out and buy a lot of belts. That would get pretty expensive.

snoglobe
March 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I've opted for a mighty tasty set of straplocks on all seven of my electrics.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/snoglobe/straplocks.jpg

put the strap on, then slip the washers on over the strap buttons. Never had a problem, and the beer was mighty fine.

sunvalleylaw
March 12th, 2008, 08:26 PM
The Dunlop lit seemed to indicate that was possible, but I have not checked for availability of individual parts.

Plank_Spanker
March 13th, 2008, 05:22 AM
When it comes to either Dunlop or Schaller, does anyone know if you can buy just the parts that install on the guitar? Eventually you will have a lot of the belt portion or have to go out and buy a lot of belts. That would get pretty expensive.

I've never seen individual parts for sale for either locks.

One note of caution on the Schaller locks (don't know if I mentioned this here or not already) - use a dab of LocTite when you tighten the nuts on the strap clips. They have a tendency to loosen up if you don't. I always check mine prior to playing.

Ro3b
March 13th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I've opted for a mighty tasty set of straplocks on all seven of my electrics.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/snoglobe/straplocks.jpg

put the strap on, then slip the washers on over the strap buttons. Never had a problem, and the beer was mighty fine.

Yep, I use these straplocks too. They're my favorite because they come with free beer.

Tim
March 27th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I found these at GC. I do not rememeber the manufactor's name. You have to look for good ones. Some are loose and some are very tight. I guess there is no Quality Control when these are mass produced.

Guitar Gal
March 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I just bought a couple pairs of these from Stew-Mac to try out:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Strap_buttons/Gripper_Strap_Buttons.html

I figured I'd give them a try for the price and see how they hold up. Since I'm just playing at home for now I thought these might just fit my needs.

GG

bigoldron
March 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Dude, you must be a jinx! Maybe you should be the "voodooman" around here... :poke: