PDA

View Full Version : Spring is here...and

Spudman
April 18th, 2010, 01:10 PM
...so is road rash. Went down today on my first group ride of the season. 5 of us A riders were doing a long ride and some guy's dog ran out from the house and the young rookie in front of me slammed on his brakes instead of swerving and I plowed right into the back of him. You just don't hit the brakes in a group or this is what can happen. I got off pretty light with just the gouge on the knee and some elbow rash. The bike faired very well because I tried to keep it off the gnarly asphalt. Some pain but no financial loss. Phew! I finished the ride alright.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Cycling/IMGP4173.jpg

A few of these guys raced yesterday. We had about 20 that started and we stopped the split point to regroup to see who wanted to do what loop. 15 guys went for the 35 mile loop and 5 of us did the 55 mile loop.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Cycling/IMGP4167.jpg

mrmudcat
April 18th, 2010, 04:15 PM
gotta love the rash............nothing you cant handle im sure brother!

syo
April 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Wow Spud very, ...um impressive. The gravel has mixed in nicely with the dried blood... :goodjob
Hope the morning after doesn't find you too sore.

I do have a small complaint however. Shouldn't this have been posted instead
under "Pedals and Effects"? :D

M29
April 18th, 2010, 07:38 PM
syo said:

syo said:
I do have a small complaint however. Shouldn't this have been posted instead
under "Pedals and Effects"?

:happy :rollover

Sorry Spud thats gotta hurt man. :nope

Spudman
April 18th, 2010, 07:51 PM
s
Sorry Spud thats gotta hurt man. :nope

It did at the time. Going from 25 to 0 in the blink of an eye and hitting asphalt is a shock to say the least, especially only wearing lycra. I laid in the ditch for a minute assessing everything and when I deemed that I was alright for the most part I got up and inspected my bike and found just little scratches and nothing major (thank goodness) because we were 20 miles from home.

Finishing the ride actually kept the wound flexible and now it's still pretty flexible but constantly oozing. No worries. I'll be riding again day after tomorrow. Sometimes pain makes me feel more alive.

Syo :D :applause That was really a good one.

M29
April 18th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Spud said: Sometimes pain makes me feel more alive.

Spoken like a true biker! All the best and mojo goin at ya tater.

otaypanky
April 18th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Ouch!

Robert
April 18th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Now you gotta play the "Road Bike Rash Blues" - let's hear it!

syo
April 18th, 2010, 08:39 PM
By the way Spud, really didn't mean to disregard your pain by the jokes.
That really does look nasty. If that were me I wouldn't be brushing it off so lightly ("No worries. I'll be riding again day after tomorrow. Sometimes pain makes me feel more alive").

Pain makes me feel like medicating and complaining for a month...

MAXIFUNK
April 18th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Spud be careful man.
This just happen to very close friend since childhood.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/23169550/detail.html

Spudman
April 18th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Spud be careful man.
This just happen to very close friend since childhood.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/23169550/detail.html

Maxi - I haven't gotten the 1100 out of the garage yet so no worries. This accident happened on a bicycle. I doubt if my bicycle is going to catch fire, although I do go pretty fast at times.

Syo - after 25 years of cycling somewhere along the way I realized that crashing comes with the sport. If I couldn't laugh it off I probably wouldn't ride any more and I never want that to happen. I LOVE to ride. No worries mate.

Robert - no blues for me. I'm going to play "Rockin My Knee" instead. :dude

Tig
April 18th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I love the smell of road rash in the morning! It smells like... Pain! :poke :spank:

I feel your pain, Spudman. While I'm not one to crash much, I have plenty of scars and stories, just like you do. The good news is, no broken bones or loss of guitar playing.

I retired from racing a few years ago. Our season starts in February, if you can believe it! For us vet's, Winter is actually a build period, and Summer (too hot to race) is a time to recover and maintain base before the Fall season kicks in.

Keep the rubber side down...

sunvalleylaw
April 18th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Yikes! Keep the rubber side down man!