PDA

View Full Version : Black Crowes - Fargo, ND (9/26/06)

Nelskie
October 2nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
I see that I rolled past (800) posts today, and in keeping with tradition for these "milestones", thought it may be time for a most gratuitious, full-on review.

As luck would have it, I was fortunate enough to see one of my favorite bands - The Black Crowes - live in concert here in Fargo last week, and I must say it was an amazing show. Of course, my opinion may be a bit biased, being that I've been on-board the Amorican Rock n' Roll Express since 1990. Whatever the case may be, it's hard to argue with the fact that these guys have been laying down great rock music for nigh on (17) years, and more impressively, doing it their way all along. Definitely NO corporate schmoes, here, folks. In those same (17) years, we've seen hair metal die, grunge rise, boy / girl bands become the rage, the incubation / hatching of alt. rock / metal, and more recently, the re-emergence of the singer / songwriter. And in all of that time passed, the Black Crowes have never really wavered from their classic rock style - - the same style which was borne and nurtured in legendary acts such as Aerosmith, the Allman Brothers, The Band, Cream, The Stones, The Who, and Led Zeppelin. Couple that style with a gracious Suthin' vibe, a smidge of good, old-fashioned Sunday soul, a cocky swagger, and a double-dose of pure attitude, and it all blossoms before you like the rose bush next to your momma's front porch. The Black Crowes are as much part of rock n' roll as rock n' roll is part of the Black Crowes.

Anyways - the recent show was my second "Crowes Sighting" of 2006, and even though there was a bit of turmoil that preceded this performance, there was very little, if anything, that was absent from their always-solid catalog of music. Turmoil, you ask? Well, for those of you not "in the know", long-time members Marc Ford (lead guitar) and Eddie Hawrysch (keyboards) left the band earlier this month for "undisclosed personal reasons". Since you don't just replace guys like Marc & Eddie, I was a little hesitant as to how this situation would affect the overall performance. Happily, the players tapped into duty - Paul Stacey - guitars (who'd worked with Chris as a member of his solo band, New Earth Mud), and Rob Clores - keys (John Popper) filled in the void admirably. Yes, the new guys are still working out a few things - but that will come with time. Since the guitar aspect of the show is key to any successful Crowes' performance, Rich was often in eye contact with Paul, cueing him during some of the song / jam transitions. I'd initially thought that Rich might step up and take more of the lead duties, but in retrospect, it was probably better that he stayed focused on his regular rhythm duties, as it provided the anchor for the both the band mix, and for Stacey to move in and out of his leads - always Marc Ford's strength.

The first set we stood front & center, about three rows back. It was fun to see the band in action from up close, esp. Chris, Rich, and Steve (drummer). Steve can really beat the cans, and in my mind, he's as integral part of the Crowes overall sound as anyone in the band. From the front, the sound mix was so-so - Steve, Sven (bass), and Rich were about the only things we could discern. I was happy that the first set included many of their heavier numbers, such as "Gone", and "Black Moon Creeping", and "Sting Me", as it allowed me to be fully enveloped in Rich's sublime, crunchy rhythm groove at near full-tilt volume. And what a live tone - wow! Rich opened the show with nice blonde Tele, and then switched to his ever-reliable red Gibson ES-335 for the next few numbers. Amp-wise, he switched between a Marshall head (not sure if it was a JCM 800 or not - I think it was), several Harry Joyce heads, and a Harry Joyce 4 x 12; Paul was playing a Harry Joyce head / cab - perhaps "on loan" from Rich. In Ford-like fashion, Paul switched between three guitars during the evening - a nice 3TS all-maple necked Strat, a Gibson SG, and a nice flametop Les Paul. Rich played the following at various points during the evening: Blonde Fender Tele (two single-coils); Gibson ES-335 (dual HB); Gibson SG (two P-90's); Zematis custom with three single-coils; vintage Blonde Fender Strat (three single-coils); a fabulous Gretch White Falcon (TV Jones p'ups); his main Fat Tele (set up Keith Richards-style w/ a single coil brigde and humbucker neck); and a Martin acoustic.

I'd have to say that the set list was better than the Seattle show I'd seen last June, as it included more of the Crowes original material. The mix was also much better further back on the floor than up front - not all that surprising. The Venue, where the show was held, is to me somewhat of a glorified machinery shed; and acoustically, only incrementally better. But even light of its short-comings, it's still a really cool place to see a show at - very homey & personal. $4.50 for a domestic tap beer, though - *sheesh*! :eek:

Band-wise, Paul seemed a little unsure at first, but settled into a nice groove later on. Chris and Rich were abound with smiles, which considering recent events, was good to see. The band, overall, seemed to be in much better spirits than the June concert I saw - which reflected in the vibe of the show. Not much interplay or talk with the crowd, but the songs were played solidly, and that's what I came to see. Few if any technical snafus - maybe part of the reason Rich was in a better mood here than he was at the Seattle concert.

If any one thing was culled from this performance, it would be the strength of the band's material. Even without two key original members present, the setlist still felt like it "belonged", and was played with all of the emotion and flair that have made the Crowes ambassadors of American rock music. Adding to that was the intimacy that can only be found when playing a smaller venue (about 1,500). I also appreciated the fact that the band played songs outside of the normal repetoire of "expected" material - songs like the wispy, introspective "Feathers" (off of their new Lost Crowes CD), the spacey groove of Amorica's "High Head Blues", and the satisfying grind of "Cypress Tree" (Lions). Yes, there were the staples - the opener "Wiser Time", "She Talks To Angels" and "Jealous Again" from their debut smash, and Southern Harmony's "Remedy". Two thumb's up from me on the band's setlist.

My favorite song of the night was "Nonfiction", off of the Amorica album - lovely, soulful, and uplifting, with Chris & Rich in fine vocal harmony, and abound with tasty, clean Fender timbres / fills. It's one of my all-time fave Crowes numbers, and the first time I've heard it live. Truly insipring.

All-in-all, it was a fine evening of music, and a show that I will continue to remember well into my years. If these guys are coming to your town, or one near it, my recommendation is to saddle-up, and check them out. The Crowes are a legendary rock act that's always worth seeing.

http://www.crowesbase.com/tapelisting.cfm?TapeID=1911

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks Nelskie , as usual an amazing review that makes me feel like i was there , i've read far worse reporting in the hallowed pages of rolling stone .I dig the notation of the gear and your seasoned take on the venue and bands performance ....AUTHOR.AUTHOR ... 6S9L

SuperSwede
October 3rd, 2006, 02:53 AM
Nelskie, very nice review! I understand that you had a blast!
Pricey beer!

duhvoodooman
October 3rd, 2006, 07:36 AM
A review up to your customary lofty standards, N-man! Thanks for sharing! :DR