PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting an old friend

marnold
April 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Back in high school I bought GTR's self-titled LP. You may (or not) remember that GTR was the short-lived supergroup formed by Steves Hackett and Howe. I lost/got rid of/did something with that tape a long time ago and wanted a new copy. It's been unavailable for a long time. This weekend I just happened to check Amazon's MP3 store. Low and behold there it was! (http://www.amazon.com/Gtr/dp/B003BMH7AU/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1271697423&sr=301-1) It was re-released after being remastered last month. I snagged it and am right now streaming it from my box to my PS3 and through my stereo.

"When the Heart Rules the Mind" has always been a favorite of mine. There's also a couple of instrumentals called "Hackett to Bits" and "Sketches in the Sun" that do the guitarists justice. I'd call the album 80's pop progressive. As I listen to it, I seem to like it more than I remember. I don't know if it's nostalgia or what. I'm listening to "Toe the Line" right now, which is the poppiest and weakest song on the album. "The Hunter" also got some airplay (although I preferred the Dokken song of the same name that was released about the same time).

So this may be a "guilty" pleasure, but it's a pleasure nonetheless.

tunghaichuan
April 19th, 2010, 11:52 AM
That album brings back lots of memories. It came out about the time I had just started on guitar. I think I had it on CD back then, and judging from the $50 import, I should have kept it. :thwap

I'm glad that more and more of these recordings are being put out. There are some real gems out. :AOK

Spudman
April 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM
When the Heart Rules the Mind - I was just watching this a few weeks ago. I may still have the cassette.

Howe is touring now with Yes and Hackett has a new album and has been touring as well.

_Y8beoRtUtk

Pickngrin
April 20th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Good thing they remastered that album. I checked out the original CD from a library awhile back and the sound quality left much to be desired. Two amazing guitarists...