PDA

View Full Version : G&L tribute tele or CV tele? Suggestions?

tjcurtin1
April 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Walked into the local store which has a beautifully grained ash 3-tone sunburst G&L tele with Dimarzio pickups (Twang King in the neck and The Chopper in the bridge) in excellent condition (and also with the original pups to go with) for $300. I've also been thinking about one of the CV teles, probably the custom or thinline - what do you all think?

ZMAN
April 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I looked at a G&l Tele. It was not the tribute but the actual tele. I didn't get to play it, and passed at 500 Can. The CV Tele Custom is an excellent guitar and I have seen locally here in Maine, while on vacation two of the 50s White Teles for 350 both excellent guitars. The tribute is an asian guitar as well. After trying out numerous teles including some in the 1600 to 1800 dollar range I found the CV to play and have most of the features I wanted. It sounds and plays really weill right out of the box. I see some guys modding them but I really don't see the need.

Robert
April 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I think you should try both and see what you think. You should look at things like playability, feel, etc - things that make you really want to play it. When I bought my Squier Tele, I thought wow - this guitar just wants me to play it! I had a blast with it from the moment I picked it up.

Electronics, tuners, etc - such things can always be upgraded, but if you don't like the way it feels to play -> :french.

Spudman
April 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Ya, play them. I've always been curious about the Tribute series as well. Really it's going to be about feel as far as those two particular models goes.

tjcurtin1
April 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Well, in the time it took me to walk home and make the original post, and walk back down to the store, somebody bought it! The owner had told me not to wait too long as he had it on ebay, which is where it sold.... So, I figure, somebody saved me from myself... It was a particularly nice looking guitar, and played very nicely. Oh, well. The owner took my name and number in case the ebay deal falls through.

Katastrophe
April 19th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Yep, it's a toss up. The G&L Tributes have been getting great reviews, and the pickups installed in the one you're looking at are supposed to be really good, too. The original pickups are nothing to sneeze at, either, as they are the same pups used in the USA models.

Squier has been putting out some fine guitars lately. The newer models I've played all sounded great.

If you can play 'em both, please do so and post your opinions!

Duff
April 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I have a beautiful G&L Tribute tele semi hollow with beautiful three tone thick top and stock G&L tele pickups. It is an awesome tele and guitar in general. Looking very expensive and built really well. I traded a sss Fender Hwy One blonde for it straight up.

I think 300 was probably a really decent price for that G&L, but I don't know what the going price is. New at a place by me that one would cost you a LOT more than three bills. They have a few there and they are definitely nice, especially the Bluesboy with the humbucker in the neck.

Sometimes you have to know when to jump; but there will be all kinds of other super great guitar deals farther down the road. I always am finding great deals, but sometimes pay top dollar for something specific that I want.

I have been upgrading my guitars and amps and like to keep my eye open for really good deals on really decent guitars. I still want an Agile though, 3000 model or so, and they are relatively inexpensive.

Too bad you couldn't have had more time to think this one out.

Katastrophe
April 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I am a dork. Shoulda read all the posts before I replied.

tjcurtin1
April 20th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I am a dork. Shoulda read all the posts before I replied.
Not at all - the info/input is valuable for further considerations...! Thanks!

MAXIFUNK
April 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I can only speak on the Classic Vibe Series never played a G&L.
The store where I have bought most of my gear & My CV Thinline Tele.
They have carried every model of the CV series from the Duo to the new 2010 Tele's.

I have only seen on with a flaw and even that flaw some folks may have been able to have lived with. The quality control and attention to detail on the CV series has push the boundaries of what one can expect from far east manufacturing so much so that it would be hard pressed for other vendors not to follow suite.

wingsdad
April 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM
The Tribute ASAT Classic for that price w/ a set of Dimarzios is a great price. The 2 sets of pups alone would be worth at least 2/3 of that. Too bad it got away. Next time.