PDA

View Full Version : J. Bonamassa Epiphone to come

Jimi75
April 20th, 2010, 04:59 AM
This is great news I think. Epiphone will come out with a JB signature LP this year.

Here's a quote from the man himself:
"I have the prototype on the bus and its ace. Burst buckers, good hardware and this one is pretty light."

:AOK

ZMAN
April 20th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I was about to make my Goldtop Classic into a JB Clone. Damn! Now I don't know if I should leave it stock and wait to see the Epi JB. Where did you get the info Jimi?

Blaze
April 20th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I was about to make my Goldtop Classic into a JB Clone. Damn! Now I don't know if I should leave it stock and wait to see the Epi JB. Where did you get the info Jimi?

It comes from his site forum here, a guy started a thread about a Vintage Icon replica of his Gibby ...

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13751

Katastrophe
April 20th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Can't wait to see that! Good on Joe to work with Epi for a sig available to mere mortals.

markb
April 21st, 2010, 01:17 AM
I tried a few Vintage LPs before I worked out what felt wrong about them. It was only when I saw one on a stand next to an Epiphone I realised the Vintage necks have a shallower back angle. Not a huge difference but enough to feel slightly "wrong". I like the look of the Mick Abrahams SG Special though :AOK

marnold
April 21st, 2010, 07:17 PM
It'd certainly be interesting, especially if they can put it at a price us cheapskates can afford.

ZMAN
April 22nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
I have the Vintage Icon Gold top with P90s. It is an excellent guitar. I paid 400 Can. and had to have a fret level for $100 including set up and strings. Now for 500 it is as nice as any of my LPs.
They use Wilkinson pickups and hardware and all of that is really good.
I bet the Epi will be over a grand street price.

Geraint Jones
April 24th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Similar spec to the '59 reissue I just bought ?

ZMAN
April 24th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Similar spec to the '59 reissue I just bought ?

Not sure what your question was?

Geraint Jones
April 25th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Sorry Zman for the confusion.The new JB Epi , I wonder if they had a few left over from the 1959 they made on the Reissue slapped a gold top on `em and a few hundred dollars .

Jimi75
April 26th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Sorry Zman for the confusion.The new JB Epi , I wonder if they had a few left over from the 1959 they made on the Reissue slapped a gold top on `em and a few hundred dollars .

The Epi 59 is a sales hit, properbly they have not so called left overs...
But the basis for Joe's sig could be the same, as the neck profile on the "real" JB sig is a 59 profile.

ZMAN
April 26th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I think Epi finally got it that they make a pretty good facsimile of a Gibson, The electronics are usually the only thing people switch out. They already have a goldie with p90s, and I think the 59 and the Slash have USA electronics so why not a JB.
The Elitist models did it from Japan, and were excellent guitars, maybe too good.
Miy Goldie is in the shop as we speak, and I am debating whether to JB it with Black accessories.

Jimi75
April 26th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I am debating whether to JB it with Black accessories.

Same thoughts here...it would look great...:AOK

Katastrophe
August 2nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
Scroll down to the June 24th entry:

http://epiphoneblog.wordpress.com/

Freakin' drool!

ZMAN
August 3rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
Since we are revisitng this thread, does anyone know when the guitar will be available and the specs. Mine turned out wonderful but I still have left the creme plastic on it and only one seet of knobs. It might be worth a look. I bet it won't be cheap.

marnold
August 3rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
According to the comments in the article that Kat linked to, it's expected "sometime in the 4th quarter." Some asked there how much it would cost but he didn't respond to that. My guess is that it will be on the high end of the Epi line.

duhvoodooman
August 3rd, 2010, 08:55 AM
Some asked there how much it would cost but he didn't respond to that. My guess is that it will be on the high end of the Epi line.
Yup, agreed. I'm guessing $800 - $1000 range, similar to the Slash signature model, maybe not quite as much.

Katastrophe
November 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-ENJB-MGNH1

marnold
November 2nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
Surprised it's a limited release. $699 is a pretty good price. What does a 1959 neck profile mean? Chunky as heck?

duhvoodooman
November 2nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Wow, cheaper than I thought it would be! Tempting, but I really prefer a CSB finish with a nice wood grain to a goldtop.

What does a 1959 neck profile mean? Chunky as heck?Though this is obviously a hugely subjective judgment, many LP devotees consider the '59 neck profile to be just about ideal. It's thinner (depth-wise) than the "baseball bat" '58-and-earlier LP's, but thicker than the substantially thinner '60 profile, which many players find too thin and rather tiring on the hand. That Historic Series '59 Reissue (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=16608) that I recently worked on for a friend had this neck profile, and it felt just great to me. Very comfy! "YMMV", as they say....

duhvoodooman
November 2nd, 2010, 08:44 AM
Here's a couple of pics from that AMS product page--one with Joe and another B-I-I-I-G one of the guitar itself:

http://www.americanmusical.com/ProductImages/XLarge/86325M5.jpg

http://www.americanmusical.com/ProductImages/XLarge/86325h.jpg

NWBasser
November 2nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
Wow, cheaper than I thought it would be! Tempting, but I really prefer a CSB finish with a nice wood grain to a goldtop.

Though this is obviously a hugely subjective judgment, many LP devotees consider the '59 neck profile to be just about ideal. It's thinner (depth-wise) than the "baseball bat" '58-and-earlier LP's, but thicker than the substantially thinner '60 profile, which many players find too thin and rather tiring on the hand. That Historic Series '59 Reissue (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=16608) that I recently worked on for a friend had this neck profile, and it felt just great to me. Very comfy! "YMMV", as they say....

Hoo boy! That sounds like the perfect neck profile for me.

That's a pretty decent price. I wonder what pickups it has?

Edit: I see it has the BB 2 and 3. It also comes with a hardshell case. Wow!

Heywood Jablomie
November 2nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
The best thing about these signature guitars is that, instantly, you'll be able to play just like your new guitar's namesake...........

Katastrophe
November 2nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
Gee, Heywood, I don't think anyone thinks they'll play like Bonamassa if they buy the guitar... I'm more interested in the features and in it's construction. Only by playing one will anyone know for sure, but it sure looks like a player.

For a sig, it's also not festooned with drawings, graphics, or other silliness. It just looks like a guitar. Outside of the TRC, with JB's name on it, the average person wouldn't know it was a sig... and I like that.

The price is also less than the other sigs that Epi offers... So, construction, not overly flamboyant, and price... What's not to like?

Heywood Jablomie
November 2nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Gee, Heywood, I don't think anyone thinks they'll play like Bonamassa if they buy the guitar... I'm more interested in the features and in it's construction. Only by playing one will anyone know for sure, but it sure looks like a player.

For a sig, it's also not festooned with drawings, graphics, or other silliness. It just looks like a guitar. Outside of the TRC, with JB's name on it, the average person wouldn't know it was a sig... and I like that.

The price is also less than the other sigs that Epi offers... So, construction, not overly flamboyant, and price... What's not to like?
I'm just poking some fun at hero worship.

sunvalleylaw
November 2nd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Sorry to be dense, what is a "CSB" finish? I really like Goldy LPs. That thing looks pretty cool! I don't know about Epis, but it seems like special edition type guitars sometimes have a little better fit and finish. At least the Fender Ann. type guitars seemed like that. Maybe this one will too.

duhvoodooman
November 3rd, 2010, 07:34 AM
Sorry to be dense, what is a "CSB" finish?
CSB = cherry sunburst, which was the finish on the iconic '58 - '60 Les Pauls. Often shortened to "Burst" when referring to these guitars.

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
Oh, ok. As far as bursts, I am more a "tobacco" burst guy, though I hate that name. Cherry burst is too . . . something for my taste. I guess that is a or
"the" classic LP finish though, right?

duhvoodooman
November 3rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
The CSB finishes on these old LP's were done with a red dye that faded out under exposure to light over time. Consequently, they end up with a much more subtle sunburst effect. Many of them don't have any real red color left in them--they end up looking more like an amber or honey burst. Some faded more than others, depending upon amount/type of light exposure, so there's a pretty wide degree of variation in these old LP's. Apparently, Gibson realized this fading "problem" sometime during 1960, and switched to a more color-fast red dye. So the last bunch of 'Bursts made are distinctly redder around the edges, from what I read over at the MyLesPaul forum.

That R9 I worked on for a friend recently is a good example of what I'm talking about. In this case, that faded CSB coloration is intentionally reproduced for these Historic Reissue guitars. Here's the body photo of that guitar:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/R9/R9_LP_body_1.jpg

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2010, 08:41 AM
Now that is a lot prettier to me than the more modern "Strawberry/Banana" ones I have seen. I still like this goldie better though. Could be a nice Epi!

duhvoodooman
November 3rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
Now that is a lot prettier to me than the more modern "Strawberry/Banana" ones I have seen.
Yeah, I agree. By "strawberry/banana", I assume you're referring to this kind of color scheme:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/0/6/763206.jpg

But that's a lot closer to how the '58 - '60 LP's looked when they were new.

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah, something like that. I have seen an epi with an even brighter yellow. Not my deal.

Retro Hound
November 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Oh, ok. As far as bursts, I am more a "tobacco" burst guy, though I hate that name.

Yeah, why couldn't it be Coffee Sunburst? Now that's a color I could get into!

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah, that would be way better. Sumatra 'burst!

ZMAN
November 4th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I prefer Vintage Burst. I have seen them called that by retailers.
This is my 96 Gibby Standard. Notice the plain top. I am not a fan of Flame Tops. The JB Goldie for 699 Seems to be a pretty fair price for a signature guitar. An Epi Standard is about 500 with the pickups at 220 and a case ncluded not a bad deal.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P9200085-1.jpg

NWBasser
November 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah, something like that. I have seen an epi with an even brighter yellow. Not my deal.

Yeah SVL, I'm with you on that one. I like the ice tea burst scheme.
The coffee one does sound nice too.

It does strike me that the JB sig. is a pretty good deal and I'd prefer a GT on one of those. However, I think a faded Gibby Studio might still be the best bet for me since I really like the way they feel, sound, and play. Even if the looks are not so great.

warren0728
November 5th, 2010, 07:57 AM

:drool: just sayin'....

Tone2TheBone
November 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM
This is my 96 Gibby Standard. Notice the plain top. I am not a fan of Flame Tops. The JB Goldie for 699 Seems to be a pretty fair price for a signature guitar. An Epi Standard is about 500 with the pickups at 220 and a case ncluded not a bad deal.

I agree with Warren. Sweet lookin' Gibby. :hungry

NWBasser
November 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Excuse me, I'm becoming a little verclempt.

Wow!:drool:

bcdon
November 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Excuse me, I'm becoming a little verclempt.

Wow!:drool:
I had to look that word up, but, yeah, what NWBasser said! :drool:

Katastrophe
November 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Epi thread, derailed by a Gibby, AND FOR GOOD REASON!

That is one beautiful guitar, Z.

I look at that guitar, and what Gibson is capable of, and have to :thwap at the X guitar (I still refuse to call it a Firebird).

marnold
November 8th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Psst. I still prefer the goldie. That is all.

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Psst. I still prefer the goldie. That is all.

Concur. Nice looking new Epi!

FrankenFretter
November 8th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Not a bad looking Goldie. Seems like a better deal than I got on my Tribute, although I think I prefer the sound of the 57+ to the BB 3. Looks like it comes with the same cruddy straplocks that the Tribute had. By the way, I just got a new set in the mail from Epiphone to replace the set that came with my Tribute that lasted all of about 2 months.

Steve - The term "tobacco burst" seems to have fallen out of favor, and seems to have been replaced by "vintage burst", "2-tone burst" and "iced tea burst". I'm with you on that one, I really like that finish. I also love the honeyburst. The super yellow to orange to red bursts that you've seen are referred to as "clown burst", denoting the ugly bright colors.

I like the Bonamassa LP, but the Epi 50th Anniversary LP (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-50th-Anniversary-Les-Paul-Version-3-Electric-Guitar?sku=H08803) has me really drooling...especially the "Heritage Darkburst". Hmmm, yet another way to avoid the word tobacco.
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/0/1/763201.jpg

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I still like "Sumatra Burst" I hear they are going to start selling them at Starbucks. ;)

Tongue in cheek, but really, why not? No music instrument stores around here anymore, and Starbucks is the only place in the county where you can buy recorded music. Plus, it is still my favorite name and a good color. ;)

Oh, and is this or the one you are displaying better than an Agile 3XXX? Hard to know.

ZMAN
November 9th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Sorry I derailed the thread. I am a huge fan of Joe B and I also have a Goldie, or I would be buying the Epi. You just can't go wrong for 699.

Jimi75
November 9th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I think everyone who ever was looking for a great Goldie, but wasn't into spending thousands of dollars for a Gibbie, should get the Joe B Epi model. Epiphone is really building some grest guitars these days. The Joe B model looks awesome and 699 is hell of good price.

Katastrophe
November 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Sorry I derailed the thread. I am a huge fan of Joe B and I also have a Goldie, or I would be buying the Epi. You just can't go wrong for 699.

You didn't derail anything, brother Z. It was probably a poor choice of words on my part, trying to make a funny. That LP of yours is gorgeous! It is absolutely drool worthy.

ZMAN
November 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM
You didn't derail anything, brother Z. It was probably a poor choice of words on my part, trying to make a funny. That LP of yours is gorgeous! It is absolutely drool worthy.
I know what you are saying. The thread WAS about a Goldie and somehow we got on the Tobacco burst theme. I just lucked into this one for 1300 bucks. Can you say Motivated seller? I took 1750 into the home and came out with 450 in my pocket. The guy wanted to sell this guitar that day.
It turned out to be one of the nicest guitars I own.
Apparently he was actually a Bass player and was picking one up on the following Saturday. I started low and stayed low. I thought he would throw me out. In all honesty I was looking for a Cherry Burst, but now I would not change it for anything.
As Jimi said. If you miss this one and you wanted a Goldie. I think you will be really missing the boat.
Again I was not a fan of Gold Tops but I saw a bargain on a Classic and I jumped. Now I love them. I guess most of my motivation is monetary.
The only thing I can say is, don't ever say that a Gibby is out of your price range. As I have said before, I really can't afford to own any of the high end guitars I own but to date I have at least 10.

Duffy
November 9th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I like that guitar.

It is not too expensive and seems to be riggid up with some good components.

Just from an objective point of view I think the Gold Top looks better than many Gold Tops I've seen. No hint of green. A nice blend of black trim and two different looking control knobs gives this LP a distinct look, not oftens seen.

The Black and Gold goes really good together. Not that having graduated from the University of Colorado would color my impression or anything. Objectively enough, the black accents the gold with a contrast that the typical cream trim can not challenge.

I like the more typical Gold Tops with cream trim though, no problem there. The black and gold just produces a different vibe.

I have an Ibanez SZ-320 Gold Top that is beautiful, NOS, and has no hint of green in the gold; so my thirst for gold is, temporarily at least, satiated.

sumitomo
November 9th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I love the 59 roundback neck on my warmoth tele,I hope this is close.They are only making 1000? Well I'll let ya know pulled the trigger.Sumi:D

Duffy
November 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Glancing at some of the burst color comments, I will note that I "really like" the color of my "Cherry Burst" Epi Tribute. It probably is that color for a reason, such as has been mentioned about the original old ones had a much more colorful burst that has spectrally degenerated over time from exposure to environmental radiation, etc.

I also have a nice Agile "Flammed Maple Cherry Sunburst" LP copy that I recently bought that I think looks really good. I even have a cherry burst strat that I think is really great looking.

No problem with the cherry bursts here.

I also have a really nice Epi LP Standard Plus top that is flammed maple in solid, non-burst amber finish and I really like that color vibe.

I have noticed that my Squier Classic Vibe 50's strat is starting to age nicely, with the neck taking on a beautiful darkening amber glow. My Lake Placid Blue CV 50's has a very attractive "white" maple neck that has not aged much and has that really cool, in my opinion, raw maple "white" look to it that blends well with the Lake Placid Blue metallic body and the aged white pearl pickguard I installed on it.

These colors are very much a matter of opinion, but the Joe B. Gold Top is very nice looking in my opinion. Not a hint of green there and a really quality gold vibe to it. I have to agree that there is no substitute for a nice Gold Top.

Katastrophe
November 9th, 2010, 06:53 PM
The only thing I can say is, don't ever say that a Gibby is out of your price range. As I have said before, I really can't afford to own any of the high end guitars I own but to date I have at least 10.

It'll happen, one day... Until then, I'm content to look around at other guitars and drool over what everyone else owns. There will be other limited runs, and other deals to be had when the time is right.

Really, my first priority is to get an amph, or a POD, or something to play amphlified with before I satisfy my guitar GAS. I waited 14 years in between guitar purchases (between the time I bought my ESP and my Strat). I was quite satisfied with my rig then, until my playing priorities and style changed.

sumitomo
November 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
E-mail I got says their on backorder,(slow boat from China lol!)I update info as I get it.Sumi:D

Duffy
November 10th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Sumi,
I don't know that much about this but with that few being distributed I might be inclined to check around and call places and see if I could find one in stock and grab it. A bird in hand is worth ten in the bush. Then I'd cancel my MF order or where ever you ordered from. MF and places like that will only get so many, even though they will want them all.

I'd call the other big internet places like Amer. mus. supply and elsewhere and see if anyone can guarantee me one. A lot of places have a line up, sort of like first come, first served, and have an idea of how many they are going to get.

1000 is very few guitars, considering there are a LOT of GC's, and places like that, in addition to all the substantial internet places and big account local stores located in large cities and so forth.

These are affordable and will definitely be sought after guitars, and probably some of them will immediately be re-sold or put up for sale at way higher prices. Supply and demand. Competition to get one of these will be intense and a lot of stores won't even get one.

It is possible though, that, by popular demand, Epiphone will expand its production of these. I think I read about where they did that with one of their popular guitars in the past and that it is still in production many years later.

For now though, it seems like they have to stick to their statement that they are only making a few, and that each one will come with a certificate. They are trying, and successfully so, to make this a collector's item.

Good luck with this. I hope you get one of these - they definitely are nice guitars.

Eric
November 10th, 2010, 10:53 AM
The best thing about these signature guitars is that, instantly, you'll be able to play just like your new guitar's namesake...........
I get what you're saying here. Sometimes it seems like signature guitars do end up with the right combo of features, neck profile, and pickups to be good guitars, but more often then not I wonder why I would buy something that was customized for someone else. If I know enough to care about the custom appointments, doesn't it follow that I would have my own preferences?

And on that note, I find it odd that getting a signature model of anything is considered this great honor by the model's namesake (e.g. Bonamassa). A signature guitar is almost the very definition of selling out, isn't it? You are willingly selling your name and image to peddle a product, instead of selling the thing you make (music). I accept that it's part of the biz, but the whole thing just seems a little odd when I stop to think about it.

All of that being said, I will temper my statements by saying that when deciding what guitars to get in the early stages, it was heavily influenced by the guitars that other musicians and guitar heroes play/played. I can't deny the power of wanting to emulate, but at its core there are some weird dynamics there.

sumitomo
November 10th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks Duffy,I found about 10 per month and according to the list I'm in Feb.LOL!! Oh well if it is it is,I figured well if I don't like it,it would be easy to sell,but I want a LP and I like the color layout and the knob layout.It's all about the wait,so relax get a cool drink and something to eat,Hey a Mcdonalds hambuger will last until Feb.Sumi:D

Duffy
November 10th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Eric, I used to feel that same way as you do about selling out, but my outlook has changed.

Having a great reputation and putting your name on a guitar or amp or whatever probably is viewed as an honor by many. Also, the person has the chance to help design the guitar, to one extent or another; possibly having enough influence to include some really cool design elements that make for a really nice guitar.

Also, the artist gets paid a substantial sum of money. I don't see the problem with this that I used to see. I say, make as much money as you can. Look for ways to make more money. Keep an eye out for people trying to rip you off for money.

There is an expectation, on my part, that the signature product is of an expected level of quality, as advertized. I read now and then that an artist is not excited about the guitar that a particular company produced and put his name on. Evidently there are some shady deals made where the artist gets exploited by the manufacturer; or so it seems.

So, I fundamentally believe that you should be able to make as much money as you can, but that in doing so you have a responsibility to provide services and products that are "worth" the cost.

I don't like it when they take a really great rock song and associate it with some ridiculously inappropriate metaphor to some mundane product in a television commercial. I don't like it when they take a serious song that actually made you stop and think, and dumb this song down to some really dumb product or service on TV. But whoever owns the rights to the music has a wide range of options available to them when it comes to making money from that music.

Some people have values and stand for things, others are unscrupulous. Oh yeah, we're talking about rock stars here . . . . even some of them have values and stand for things; for instance, Sarah McLaughlin's involvement with the SPCA. Then there are those that sell flashlight batteries. Ha ha.

Heywood Jablomie
November 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I think it's naive to think that a made-in-China signature Epiphone is going to be something that's head and shoulders above their "regular" offerings; same thing with "Limited Editions". They're made in the same assembly plant(s), by the same workers, at the same time. They're marketing ideas, that's it.

If that floats one's boat, fine. Just don't try to tell me that it's something special.

NWBasser
November 10th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I think it's naive to think that a made-in-China signature Epiphone is going to be something that's head and shoulders above their "regular" offerings; same thing with "Limited Editions". They're made in the same assembly plant(s), by the same workers, at the same time. They're marketing ideas, that's it.

If that floats one's boat, fine. Just don't try to tell me that it's something special.

Hey, I quite agree. However, if I'm looking for a new guitar, tone and feel (i.e. comfortable neck shape, low action, etc.) are my biggest deciding factors (along with price!) and if a sig model has that special combination, then I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Back to the JB siggy though; I noted it has Gibson USA 490 series pu's and the thicker 50's profile neck. I don't give a rat's a#$ about the name on TR cover, but those are particularly appealing features of this one.

But, like you said, if those minute details such as fretwork and binding that make a guitar special aren't done just right in the China factory, then it won't cut it.

FrankenFretter
November 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hey, I quite agree. However, if I'm looking for a new guitar, tone and feel (i.e. comfortable neck shape, low action, etc.) are my biggest deciding factors (along with price!) and if a sig model has that special combination, then I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Back to the JB siggy though; I noted it has Gibson USA 490 series pu's and the thicker 50's profile neck. I don't give a rat's a#$ about the name on TR cover, but those are particularly appealing features of this one.

But, like you said, if those minute details such as fretwork and binding that make a guitar special aren't done just right in the China factory, then it won't cut it.

Jason, the JB GT has Burstbuckers; BB2 in the neck, and a BB3 in the bridge. Just FYI.

Duffy
November 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
My Epi Tribute looks, sounds, feels, and seems to be, in a different category of guitars from my two Epi LP Standards, one a Plus top and they have real Seymour Duncans in them. I see my Tribute as a very "special" guitar. Probably not worth a lot of money, but worth a lot to me in a "special" way. I believe this guitar is more than the sum of its parts and is worth more than what I paid for it. This is my subjective evaluation. My Agile AL 3100 flammed cherry burst double bound is also "special" and plays and sounds really really good.

So, although I'm not a fan of the Chinesse, I think they are making some nice Epiphones and other guitars over there. This Joe B. signature might be a real value, well made, and great sounding guitar. And a "because" it is a very limited run, it might be something special. Supply and demand being what they are, these could be considerably more special than a regular LP Standard.

My Epi Tribute is a "special" guitar, to me; according to my personal evaluation. It is a tremendous sounding, feeling, playing and looking guitar with some real nice features. I haven't had a real expensive Gibson yet, and I am sure that there are some "special" Gibsons just waiting to be purchased.

I have found other guitars from China and the Far East that have demonstrated some very special qualities.

No one is forcing any of these on anyone or saying that they are better than x or y. People are buying these Classic Vibes and Agiles and Epiphones because they stand up to the test of excellence, in many cases.

I usually avoid the signatures, but this gold top is eye catching and if it plays and sounds good, it might be just the thing, "special" thing for someone. Just not that "special" thing for everyone, naturally.

As far as Gold Tops go, I like my Ibanez NOS SZ320 a lot. It plays, sounds, feels, and looks "special" to me. There is something about an excellent, hand picked, Gold Top that can be very "special". This Joe B. looks like it may meet all the criteria of being an awesome Gold Top.

NWBasser
November 10th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Jason, the JB GT has Burstbuckers; BB2 in the neck, and a BB3 in the bridge. Just FYI.

Ya know, you'd think that I would/should have remembered my post #22.:thwap

sumitomo
February 1st, 2011, 03:29 PM
Well it's on it's way!I hear to change the bridge on this guitar and other Gibbys and epip's to a nashville bridge and I've also heard the neck pup is muddy,we'll find out.Sumi:D Oh by the way I ordered this Nov 11.:hungry

sumitomo
February 9th, 2011, 01:38 PM
It has landed!Sumi:D

ZMAN
February 9th, 2011, 05:00 PM
It doesn't exist unless.......
I will also need a total reveiw.

sumitomo
February 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I'll see if I can change my avatar photo(that's the only photo I could load on this site I'm computer dumb on that stuff)but I dig the neck profile and the pups sound bright to me cause it's at work and I only have a SS amph there(it's at work cause my woman don't know I bought it yet!)so I'll take a different amph to work,action is alittle high but I think I'm gunna like playin this guitar.Sumi:D

Katastrophe
February 9th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Sumi, I'm not sure, but I don't think you can change your avatar without them little asteriks by your name, and those cost a few dollars to get. Congrats on the new purchase, and post pics when you can!!!!

sumitomo
February 10th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I'm loving this neck,the flat fingerboard will take a little getting used to.Sumi:D

NWBasser
February 18th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Congrats Sumi!

I hear ya about the flat fingerboard. I've gotten used to mine now and am really lovin' it.

Pics....????

sumitomo
February 23rd, 2011, 09:21 AM
I plugged this baby into my Pignose gv40 and crap!Ever plug a different setup in and all of a sudden you start hearing those tones you have been chasing for years?Also great sustain.Sumi:D

NWBasser
February 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
I plugged this baby into my Pignose gv40 and crap!Ever plug a different setup in and all of a sudden you start hearing those tones you have been chasing for years?Also great sustain.Sumi:D

As an avid LP fan, I can only imagine how sweet that one is!