PDA

View Full Version : Help w/modding Crate V5

LeadedEL84
April 20th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I previously posted this to another forum but the site has really low traffic.My post only recieved one view in over 24 hours and I am afraid it may never get a reply there.I used to frequent "H-C" but now have trouble navigating and posting there. So I guess I am an H-C refugee. I found THE FRET and think it is a nice place. Please excuse the length of the post. I am reposting it "as written"because most of it is relavent to what I am trying to achieve with my V5.
Thanks for any help,
LeadedEL84
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I just bought a new Crate V5. I have owned a V series 3112 for about a year and a half. It is the USA model,made by St.Louis Music,and came with the Celestion 70/80(made in Ipswich England). I have been very happy with the V-30. I had planned on replacing the speaker with a Vintage 30 when I bought the amp but was surprised to find I liked the 70/80 just fine. I recently re-tubed it with Tung Sol 12ax7s in the preamp and a matched quad of Electro Harmonix EL84s in the power amp. Not a huge difference in sound but it seems a little tighter at high volumes,the harmonics feel a little livelier,and the overdrive slightly warmer. Made a great amp better IMO.

I bought the V5 because I needed a low powered practice amp. I live in an apartment and the V30 is too loud for daily practice and noodling around at night. I had planned to get a small solid state amp. I checked out many at the local music shops but couldn't decide which to buy. On the short list were:Vox pathfinder,Marshall MG,Orange Crush,and Roland micro Cube. I had likes and dislikes about all.I was leaning towards the Vox. All were decent sounding toy amps and most were less than $100. I just don't like SS amps very much.

I was doing some price comparisons online and found a deal on the Crate V5. I got it New and shipped to my door for well under $100.I thought it would be cool to have a practice amp that is a miniture of my prized V-30 that I love so much. Unfortunately comparing the new line of foriegn made crate v-series amps to the now discontinued USA made v series amps is apples and oranges. They look similar but they sure do not sound the same! What has Crate done to the V series? This V5 sounds ok clean at low volume but turn it up a little and you get a shrill fizzy overdrive sound. Turn it up loud and it sounds like garbled fuzz with a farty low end. Total crap. Good thing it was cheap! This thing needs serious upgrades just to get as good a sound as the solid state amps I passed up to buy this one……How embarassing. I'm not telling the music shop guys what I did until I get it sounding good enough to deserve the name tube amp.

I was figuring that all the components have been cheapened but the biggest contributer to the crappy sound is the speaker. So I started looking for a replacement speaker with a few in mind. I was happy to see the modded V5s on Youtube. Tone Kings A-B comparison video gives me hope that I can coax some decent sounds from this thing with a speaker change. I also plan to do a tube swap. I had no trouble picking out the modded amp from Tone Kings video. The modded amp was so much smoother and warmer sounding.

I know what I want out of the amp and have a general idea of what to get. Now I have a few questions and need some opinions on tubes and speaker choices. Any help would be much appreciated…..

-SPEAKERS-

Before seeing Tone Kings mod video I was planning to buy a Celestion G10E Tube 10 speaker. I had a few reasons for choosing this speaker: 1-It is in the same family as the 70/80 speaker in my V30. 2- It shows a frequency response curve that is similar to my 70/80. 3-I have a line on a NOS tube 10 speaker that is British made and less than $50. 4-The tube 10 cost less than the China made 10 inch greenback or G10 Vintage speakers I was also considering. 5-The Tube 10s 30 watt rating seems more apropriate than the G10 vintages 60 watt rating.

Here are my speaker questions: How does the Tube 10 compare to the G10 Vintage soundwise? Is the Tube 10 a good choice for the V5?

-TUBES-

I have read that replacing the 12AX7 preamp tube with a 12AT7 improves the sound of the V5 overall and smooths out the distortion. My thought was to replace it with a JJ/tesla or Mullard style 12ax7 to hopefully smooth out the distortion yet allow it to achieve distortion at a relatively low volume level. My concern is that switching to the lower gain 12AT7 would require a higher volume setting to achieve overdrive. My goal is to achieve a good overdrive sound at low volume levels. I am not concerned with clean headroom. I normally set my amps to moderate to high gain settings and use my guitars volume control to clean it up or control distortion levels. Never using a 12AT7 in the tonestack section I am not sure what to expect in that regard. Because of the apartment situation I am trying to achieve the best low volume overdrive tone. This will be a dedicated home practice amp. I have the V30 and a Fender Deluxe Reverb to cover everything else. I will likely be using an EL84-EH for the power tube.

Here are my tube questions: 1- What preamp tube do I need to use to achieve my goals sound and volume wise? 2-Is there a better power tube to use in the V5 than the EH?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

LeadedEL84

rock_mumbles
April 20th, 2010, 11:07 PM
My brother and I each have modded V5's and I've modded two for a friend. As far as I'm concerned a simple tube swap or speaker swap will help, but it won't fix the problem. The V5 does not have a volume control, it has a op-amp gain control, and as you have experienced it's OK at low volumes clean, but that's it.

If you read the 15 or so page V5 mod thread here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9379 there's a bunch of info and ways to mod a V5, what do you want for tone and overdrive characteristics? Deafelectromark was rebuilding the pcb for $40 (I think) and turning it into a real 5W amp. If you want to do it your self there's many ideas and ways to convert the V5 into a usable amp.

LeadedEL84
April 21st, 2010, 02:55 PM
My brother and I each have modded V5's and I've modded two for a friend. As far as I'm concerned a simple tube swap or speaker swap will help, but it won't fix the problem. The V5 does not have a volume control, it has a op-amp gain control, and as you have experienced it's OK at low volumes clean, but that's it.

If you read the 15 or so page V5 mod thread here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9379 there's a bunch of info and ways to mod a V5, what do you want for tone and overdrive characteristics? Deafelectromark was rebuilding the pcb for $40 (I think) and turning it into a real 5W amp. If you want to do it your self there's many ideas and ways to convert the V5 into a usable amp.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I checked out the link to the thread you provided. Lots of interesting stuff there. Although alot of the electronics being discussed are beyond my skill level I could understand most of it. I will put off these types of major mods for now. I am not planning to use this V5 as anything but a low volume practice amp. But I will refer back to the electronics mods later on,I'm sure. Knowing me I will eventually want more.

I think I am on the right track with the speaker swap. I plan to try the Celestion G10E Tube 10 speaker. I think I will experiment with different preamp tubes such as the 12at7 to see what happens. If that doesn't do what I want I will go back to the 12ax7 and try different brands w/different gain characteristics. I'm not expecting the world from this amp. I do want it to sound better though. I miss the USA made V-series.

As far as your question of "what kind of tone and distortion are you looking for?"- On this amp I want to make it smoother and creamier. I want some warmer rock and blues tones with some detail and touch sensitivity. I'm hoping a change to Celestion speaker will bring out a little Brit character.

Now let me tell you a little about what I play,the amp tones I like in general,and why I like my USA V-30 so much:
The vintage Marshall Plexi or amps based on that design are probably my favorite. I like vintage Fender stuff like the Vibrolux and deluxe reverb. Vox AC 30s and 15s are great. The Bogner Shiva is likely my favorite modern amp,the 40 watt Alchemist is on my want list. I'm very impressed at what Fuchs has out. There are many great amps on the market today.

As you can probably tell from my member name I am a fan of the EL84 power tube. It has a unique overdrive character that I find interesting.
My Crate V30 is such a chameleon. Overall it has a Fendery character but it has some Brit attitude.I can plug in my Strat and get a perfect SRV tone. I can dial up a good David Gilmour like tone from most Pink Floyd songs. Plug in a pedal or two and get a passable Hendrix tone. What sold me on the amp was when I plugged in my Dean EVO special directly into the amp and the tone was a dead ringer for Billy Gibbon's 70s and 80s recordings with ZZ Top. Lately I am mostly playing a stock Gibson Les Paul studio and getting everything from AC/DC to Zeppelin tones with no pedals plugged in.

I know the V5 will probably never sound like my V30 but hopefully it can sound better than it does now.
Thanks for thr help.