PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Center Weekend Sale: CV tele $249

Commodore 64
April 23rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
http://www.lucky-cricket.com/files/tele_blonde1.jpg

If you want a CV get down to GC. They only had one, and I bought it! They're having a weekend sale, and there are other guitars marked down too. Look for the Green Tags.

poodlesrule
April 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Arrf, any Thinline on sale..??!?!

sumitomo
April 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Now your talkin you old bargin hunter,I know you'll like that guitar! Sumi:D

Commodore 64
April 23rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I couldn't pass this one up. I did go ahead and put my MiM Tele Squier Series up on CL though. Gotta start thinning the herd.

If I can find buyers for that, my Pacifica, and my Turser Tele, I'll have a reasonable collection of nice guitars.

Commodore 64
April 24th, 2010, 08:56 AM
One of our friends, an older blues musician left a '69 Telecaster with me to set-up. He said I can keep it for a while and play it. I split time between it and the new CV this morning. At this point I think I like them both equally which is to say, a lot.

DId a quick search on Flea Bay. There's a 69 neck with tuners listed for >2k! I'm a little nervous because this tele needs a new nut, and I've never done a nut before. LUckily the guitar has been played hard and is beat to hell, but man, it's sweet!

ZMAN
April 25th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Crap! I saw the same thing last week for 350, and passed. This was a Ma and Pa store, and he said he didn't have the buying power of a GC, or MF, and had litte wiggle room. I am sure they wouldn't have 100 dollars worth.
They did have a 60s CV for 279 though. He said he was not making a cent on that one.
Some have said the "pinecaster" was heavy. What is your take on that?
Also they have the A3s similar to the CV50s Strat. Do you like them?
I am not a tele guy and only own the CV Tele Deluxe. I had my tech set the intonation on it and it is spot on. I was going to change to a 6 saddle bridge but have left it alone. Talking to other guys most of the CV teles come with a pretty high action, and need to be "tweaked" a little. As do most guitars!

Commodore 64
April 25th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Crap! I saw the same thing last week for 350, and passed. This was a Ma and Pa store, and he said he didn't have the buying power of a GC, or MF, and had litte wiggle room. I am sure they wouldn't have 100 dollars worth.
They did have a 60s CV for 279 though. He said he was not making a cent on that one.
Some have said the "pinecaster" was heavy. What is your take on that?
Also they have the A3s similar to the CV50s Strat. Do you like them?
I am not a tele guy and only own the CV Tele Deluxe. I had my tech set the intonation on it and it is spot on. I was going to change to a 6 saddle bridge but have left it alone. Talking to other guys most of the CV teles come with a pretty high action, and need to be "tweaked" a little. As do most guitars!

I don't know the exact weight, but it feels about equal to my MiM Strat. It's not light by any means, but I don 't feel it's extraordinarily heavy. I'll see if I can dig up our digital scale.

Just restrung it with some .10s, but the set I had was GHS Thin/Thick set, so the 6th string was a .52 which was way too big for the nut slot, so I had to kind of hybrid the strings. I went .044, .036, .030, .017, .013, .010. It does need the intonation set now (although factory set-up was pretty darn close before I changed the strings). I've never done intonation on a 3 saddle bridge like this so, I have to dig out my book, but I'll let you know how it goes.

I will probably restring it soon with some type of standard set, considering 11s, but I need to make sure because that may require a little nut filing.

I'm very happy with the PUPs, I don't feel like it's lacking at all compared to the '69 tele that I've got sitting here (although that '69 has rusty strings and desperately needs a new nut).

The action on the CV is not excessive. It is higher than my MiM Strat (which I set to Fender recommended specs). I haven't measured it yet, but I'm having absolutely no trouble playing it. I'm fairly heavy handed, so I am finding that I am not one of those folks who wants the action as low as possible.

Edit: Weight: 8.5lbs (MiM Strat is 8.3lbs)