PDA

View Full Version : 13" MacBook Pro

otaypanky
April 24th, 2010, 04:07 PM
There was a time when I thought I would never ever use a computer. I had tried once back around '86 with an IBM, but it was so awkward and user unfriendly I quickly gave up, thinking never again ~
About 10 years later I got a Gateway and started to get the hang of it, things had changed a lot. Now I can't imagine not using one Besides recreational use, finding information on anything I want to research, I have an on-line business these days. Heck, I even met my wife on-line !!!
So computers have amazed me and certainly changed my life, and for the better.
Recently my Lenovo laptop had pretty much slowed to a crawl and there didn't seem to be anything I could do to get it running at a decent efficiency any longer. Two years ago I bought an Apple I Mac and love it, but I do spend a lot of time with a lapbook. The MacBooks are pretty pricey, so I have been checking out the deals on their refurbished units. I was getting closer to ordering a refurb when Apple announced the new MacBooks, upgraded with a faster processor, more memory, yadayada ~~~
I bit the bullet and grabbed a little 13" model and WoW !!! :happy
It is just amazing!
The track pad responds to all kinds of gestures and is becoming second nature pretty quickly. The whole thing is just a really nice design, great image on the monitor, fast as could be, and Macs are really well integrated, everything just makes sense and works well together

Robert
April 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Congrats! My MBP is over 2 years old now, but it rocks still. I have had a PCs with Windows for ages, and making the move over to a Mac was like night and day. No hassles, no errors, no viruses, no junk - it just plain works - all the time.

otaypanky
April 24th, 2010, 08:07 PM
That's the way it has been with my Imac that I got 2 years ago last Thanksgiving Robert. Well, Thanksgiving in the U.S., I forgot for a moment my Canadian friends have theirs in October.
I have never had an issue with my Imac yet, And to think of the numbers of times I went down with a virus or malware of some sort on my PC and the number of hours it takes to get up and running, the constant scanning for more intrusion~ Yikes
I realize the Macs are not invincible, but it sure does feel like it ~

Tig
April 24th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I'd give one a try if I could afford it. Same with high end guitars, come to think of it!

As for viruses and vulnerabilities, Mac has plenty so don't ever let your guard down. Not as many as Windows, but the weekly briefings I get show more than expected.

otaypanky
April 24th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Do you use a Mac for your work Tig?
What are the weekly briefings?

Tig
April 25th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Do you use a Mac for your work Tig?
What are the weekly briefings?

No, Mac's don't play well in most corporate networks. I mainly work with MS Active Directory. My company provides our laptops. My home laptop runs XP, which is rock solid.

Briefings as in SANS Security and other IT security industry emails.

SuperSwede
April 25th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Funny, I´ve had Macs since 1998 and I have not seen a single virus on any of my computers.. And oh, I dont use a firewall either.

otaypanky
April 25th, 2010, 04:41 PM
No, Mac's don't play well in most corporate networks. I mainly work with MS Active Directory. My company provides our laptops. My home laptop runs XP, which is rock solid.

Briefings as in SANS Security and other IT security industry emails.

Thanks. I'll check that out
My wife is in IT and her company computer is Windows based also ~