PDA

View Full Version : Simple Finger Picking Techniques

Tim
October 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM
I would have made this a poll, but I do not know how to start one.

I am beginning to practice fingerpicking. I have read several books and articles on the different techniques used by hundreds of famous players.

The classical way is of course using all 4 fingers and the thumb. I have watch many other players using the thumb and 4 finger method, the thumb and three finger method and finally, just the thumb and index finger. All players watched seem to do a good job no matter what technique used.

So my question is this. What is the preference of the fingerpickin’ Fretter’s out there? What are your stories that helped you learn to finger pick?

I will most likely use the one that feels comfortable to me when I get there.

jpfeifer
October 3rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Hi Tim,

Glad to share some tips on finger picking if they're helpful to you.

I think that the best way to learn finger picking is to start with some basic finger picking patterns and work them into a few songs. First start of with some basic chord progressions and simply pick through the chords from low string to high and back again. This is a simple way to get into finger picking and get your hands used to the technique.

I would suggest using thumb, index, middle, and ring finger for this kind of exercise.

After this is comfortable, then you can move on to some more advanced finger picking patterns. One of the best songs that you can use for your introduction to a more advanced finger picking pattern is "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas. It takes a while to get the hang of the pattern at first, but it is a great song to use for learning how to do a technique called "Alternating Thumb" style finger picking where the thumb is hitting a regular pattern on the bass strings. When you're learning any new pattern it always best to start very slowly until your right hand is familiar with the basic moves of the pattern. The key is to play the pattern slowly and evenly. After you get the pattern to the point where you can play it evenly, then you can speed it up.

Another song that I like to use for fingerpicking is "Blackbird" by the Beatles. Paul McCartney actually uses only his thumb and index finger to play this part but you can also use a thumb, index, middle, ring finger style approach to this part.

I hope this helps, -- Jim

SuperSwede
October 3rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
Jim is right, Blackbird would be a good song to get started with. Try to learn the first four bars, using the thumb and index finger.

http://www.guitaretab.com/b/beatles/23937.html

tot_Ou_tard
October 4th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Hey Tim,

The book that I am using is

The Art of Contempory Travis Picking

by Mark Hanson

It comes with a CD which is always nice to have.

It has a blurb from Leo Kottke "You don't have to bore yourself with nursery rhymes and other assorted drivel to get Mark's point."

I like it, but I haven't gotten that far into it yet.