PDA

View Full Version : Deep Purple

Robert
April 26th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Deep Purple was the first band that really made me want to play rock guitar. I remember seeing them on TV at the age of, well 12 perhaps? They blew my mind. Such groove, such power, such class while still being so hip? I had to get into that stuff! I listened a lot to Blackmore back then, and Deep Purple become one of my favourite bands ever, and to this day, they still are.

Here is the song that made me go "That was amazing! Killer!" :)

KgZSnAkQc4c

Here is another couple great tunes by Deep Purple (there were so many!)
p0rAP87B7UA

G6x8GGXrCFQ

pfzv3bf9-OY

Jimi75
April 26th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Only yesterday they played a DP special on the radio and my son asked me who that band is and if I can show him some videos of the band! Good taste, he?

I love Deep Purple with Richie Blackmore and with Tommy Bolin. Not a huge fan of Morse or that collabs with Sambora and Satriani.

At home my brother had the Live Japan album and he played and played and played it, I must have been 6 years old, but some of the riffs were burned in my brains.

guitarhack
April 26th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Great stuff. They could riff like nobody's business!

msteeln
April 26th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Happy to say I was at the first Cal Jam that special day with Black Oak, Sabbath, and ELP, and saw them previously in Berdoo '74, both great concerts, but the much better show was one I saw in '89(?) during the Mk 2 reunion tour. They were totally on and Blackmore may never have been more devastating, plus his 'lights out' solo was probably the best Strat work I've ever witnessed, even tho nobody could see him...

Spudman
April 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Deep Purple is who put me over the edge. I went to stay at a friends house in my early teens and when I got up in the morning "Who Do We Think We Are" was playing in the 8 track. I totally stopped in my tracks and went "wow, who is this?" I didn't leave the house until the album played all the way through. It totally changed how I looked at music. I've been a HUGE fan ever since. It totally changed how I played too even though I had just started.

I've loved every version of Purple but it was the Mark IV version that was complete magic for me. They could do things improvising that were so far off the board I didn't even know until later they were improvising. Simply and amazing group of musicians. Ian Paice is a machine and Richie is a genius.

kiteman
April 27th, 2010, 06:44 AM
One of the best of the 70s. Rock on!

sumitomo
April 27th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Happy to say I was at the first Cal Jam that special day with Black Oak, Sabbath, and ELP, and saw them previously in Berdoo '74, both great concerts, but the much better show was one I saw in '89(?) during the Mk 2 reunion tour. They were totally on and Blackmore may never have been more devastating, plus his 'lights out' solo was probably the best Strat work I've ever witnessed, even tho nobody could see him...

Cal Jam here also and before that L.A. Forum,What about when that amph blew up at the Cal Jam,that was great!! Sumi:D

kiteman
April 27th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Cal Jam 74? Grand Funk Railroad was there and I got the DVD. Has to be the best GFR concert I've seen.

I also have the DP Cal Jam 74 DVD. :dude

msteeln
April 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Cal Jam 74? Grand Funk Railroad was there and I got the DVD. Has to be the best GFR concert I've seen.It was '73, and no GFR, unless they came on before Seals & Crofts and The Eagles :poke both of whom I happily missed. Wish I'd missed Rare Earth and Earth Wind & Fire as well.
But the rest was great, and Ritchie went nuts on his Strat smashing it into the film crew's expensive camera lens, which he almost went to jail for. Typically, the charge to explode his amp on cue was overloaded and not only nearly blew Ritchie off his feet and did singe his hair, but deafened everbody nearby. They almost got nailed for the excessive explosion too.

Sumi, you remember the ariel bombardment before BOA came on? That was rad! Started of with benign empty plastic water/milk jugs and ended up with everything that could be heaved, including the kitchen sink somewhere I'm sure, flying thru the air. I've never seen the skys filled with so much stuff, that should have been shown on TV too!

The only real bummer of that show was Sabbath playing before sunset, that's just not right. :nope

NWBasser
April 27th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I haven't paid much attention to DP for some years now. But then, I recently answered an ad for a bass player and one of the audition songs is Highway Star. I haven't played that one in ages, so I go to Youtube and check it out. Wow, the bass lines are far more intricate than I remember and I'll have to work on it and make up a chart for the changes. I'll likely play it with fingers too although Glover always uses a pick.

Anyway, the old videos really take me back. It seems that no two live versions are the same! Blackmore really wails that one!

I think this will be really cool to go back and do a song from my far-away past. I believe I'll probably play it much better this time around....at least I hope to.

NWBasser
April 27th, 2010, 03:52 PM
On a bit of a PS here, that video of Lazy is awesome!

What a great groove to that tune!:AOK

Robert
April 27th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I feel the same way, NWBasser. Great, great stuff!

We are practicing Lazy for the first time with our cover band tomorrow! I guess I better start learning the guitar parts! :eek:

Spudman
April 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Perfect Stranger and Battle Rages On were really a good albums. One of my favorites that really came to life for me when I saw them do it live is this song Anya. These clips are off the "Come Hell Or High Water" DVD which is pretty amazing.

L8hDsXnwvY4

This from Perfect Stranger - Perfect Stranger. I actually covered this song while I was on the road.
HcHdUpqO32s&feature