PDA

View Full Version : A sign that one has too many guitars...

Brian Krashpad
April 28th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Is not only not knowing where they all are at any given time, but not being sure if one's actually gone missing.

Last night I was driving home from work in the van, and noticed that the "door not closed" light on my dashboard was on. This is usually because of the sliding side door in the back of the van, which will sometimes close and latch, but not fully engage the latch to turn the sensor off. However, I had not opened that door, that I could recall, that day.

This immediately got me to wondering whether someone else might have got into the van during the day, while I was in the office. Looking back into the "cargo compartment" where I've taken out the middle bench seat and usually stick guitars, I noticed that there were no guitars in the van. I couldn't remember, however, whether I'd taken both of the 2 guitars I'd had in the van over the weekend out, and put them in the office, or not. One of the 2, I was sure, was back in the office.

But I wasn't sure about the other one.

Fortunately, when I got here this morning, sure enough, I had taken both of the guitars out of the van, probably both on Monday, and put them in the office. But over night I was unsure whether I might be missing one, and not one of my hundred-buck cheapies, either (my Fernandes Ravelle, which I paid $400 for, plus it's hsc bought subsequently).

Sigh.

I guess it's a good problem to have, but I may have to get a "status board" with little magnet stickers to keep track of where each is, or something.

:thwap

bcdon
April 28th, 2010, 08:29 AM
'Tis a good problem to have. By the way, I have a nice Canadian haven for any of your neglected axes. :dude

Jimi75
April 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM
That story was a good read Krash.

Acutally, when I think of a person with too mehni gitahs, it's you who comes to my mind :crazyguy

Don't ask me why :happy

Spudman
April 28th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I've done that too. I freak out about where my guitar is and then after a search find it exactly where I put it...but forgot that I put it there.

poodlesrule
April 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I've done that too. I freak out about where my guitar is and then after a search find it exactly where I put it...but forgot that I put it there.

You know, you are just perfecting the art form for when you will wear glasses...

sunvalleylaw
April 28th, 2010, 10:00 AM
That story was a good read Krash.

Acutally, when I think of a person with too mehni gitahs, it's you who comes to my mind :crazyguy

Don't ask me why :happy

LOL, maybe, but I think of Spud first. I have seen (a portion of) that collection in person. Guitars spilling out of closets and back bedrooms I tell you! Not to mention spread all over the lawn for gosh sake! :poke :AOK

Brian Krashpad
April 28th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I believe Spud has me beat!

And poodlesrule, don't even get me started about glasses...

FrankenFretter
April 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Too many guitars? That is such blasphemy that I refuse to read this thread. And even if I did, I wouldn't admit to it.

Too many guitars...Yeah, and Bigfoot flys UFOs over the Bermuda Triangle looking for dates for the Loch Ness Monster...

Eric
April 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I'm considering giving away some stuff I have and don't use. Not sure if it'll actually happen, but considering it...

Brian Krashpad
April 28th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I'm considering giving away some stuff I have and don't use. Not sure if it'll actually happen, but considering it...

My son has his pick of either my Peavey Strat or my Frankentele if he gets motivated and learns to play. I'll help him learn, but he has to be motivated and ask.

poodlesrule
April 28th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Please do..!
Just ask the recipient to make a high two-digit donation to a humanitarian org, on the honor system.

(That reminds me I need to revise my will, for real!)

Eric
April 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
My son has his pick of either my Peavey Strat or my Frankentele if he gets motivated and learns to play. I'll help him learn, but he has to be motivated and ask.
Yeah, I know that feeling. I would give away my stuff if I knew the person would use and appreciate it, but it's harder than you'd think to find those people. Luckily there's one such teenager at church that I just loaned some stuff to so he could figure out what it's all about, and he happens to be really good. I'll see if the loan becomes indefinite or not.

Jimi75
April 29th, 2010, 01:18 AM
LOL, maybe, but I think of Spud first. I have seen (a portion of) that collection in person. Guitars spilling out of closets and back bedrooms I tell you! Not to mention spread all over the lawn for gosh sake! :poke :AOK

Steve, how could I forget about Spud's collection....I'm getting old. :thwap

Unfortunately, I never took pics of my collection during my Fender years....I believe my wife still suffers from a guitar trauma ;-)

deeaa
April 29th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I know that feeling. I would give away my stuff if I knew the person would use and appreciate it, but it's harder than you'd think to find those people. Luckily there's one such teenager at church that I just loaned some stuff to so he could figure out what it's all about, and he happens to be really good. I'll see if the loan becomes indefinite or not.

I have, several times. Actually I do it all the time. Zometimez the recipkent then gives me something in return, sometimes not...I have more or less given out two gujtars, two amps includinh a boutique tube amp, some pedals, lots of pickups nd assortrd hardware...I have even respknded to some wtb ads and said to pick up free....also TVs dtb boxes, a huge amount of pc games and used hardware, several jsed pcs...BUT I have also been givenn a gujtar, a car, many speakers or old hifi, gadgets, lots of baby stuff and such, not by the people i have given to though...I dont see the point in keeping stuff i dont much use and if a good friend needs something i can give, im happy to hwlp. whats a twenty or a hundred you might get, when compared to how much happiness can be achieved for a buddy.

Eric
April 29th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I dont see the point in keeping stuff i dont much use and if a good friend needs something i can give, im happy to hwlp. whats a twenty or a hundred you might get, when compared to how much happiness can be achieved for a buddy.
Totally agree. It's a little more difficult to let go when I might want a new piece of gear that's $200 and have something that could be sold for $200, but I always give away stuff that I have if I don't use it. I have done that tons of times with non-guitar stuff.

In this particular situation, the guy is pretty good and has virtually no money, which seems like the exact sort of situation I want to help. I can't tell if me loaning him stuff will help him to get a flavor for the gear he might wonder about or if it will just whet his appetite. Probably both.

mainestratman
April 29th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I sometimes miss the good old days of having a lots of guitars.. nothing like some of you guys, but..

Let's see.. 1 MIA Strat, 1 MIJ 70's vintage Strat, Jackson something-or-other, Strat HSS "Players Deluxe (or something like that), my old Ibanez A/E, Another Ibanez A/E, Ovation A/E, Takemine 12 A/E...

Damn.. I'm missing 6.. there were 13 at one point.. lol

Bloozcat
April 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
...I couldn't remember, however, whether I'd taken both of the 2 guitars I'd had in the van over the weekend out, and put them in the office, or not. One of the 2, I was sure, was back in the office.

But I wasn't sure about the other one.

Sigh....

Aw, that's not too many guitars, Brian...

...that's early onset Alzheimers....:poke

MAXIFUNK
April 29th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Too many Guitars its more a matter of not enough. LOL

2 Basses I want at least 3 more.
6 Guitars I want at least 8 more.
3 Amps I want at least 8 more.

It is more a matter of space and money given the space and the money HMMMMMMM how wonderful it would be to have that problem. LMAO!!!!

Time to buy a Loto ticket ASAP!

kiteman
April 29th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I got two guitars in the ads here, there and craigslist. Just added another one on CL and I guess I'll put it on here too. :)

I got my eyes on the Agile AD-201 and I need room. :poke

marnold
April 29th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Well, I certainly can't be accused of having too many guitars or amphs. I've got one bass and one bass amph, one guitar and one guitar amph. True, I technically still have my Squier '51 and AD30VT, but my son is using them to learn right now. I'm not looking to use either one, but I have plans for the '51 if he ever decides to get a different guitar.

Brian Krashpad
April 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Aw, that's not too many guitars, Brian...

...that's early onset Alzheimers....:poke

I resemble that remark! :mad

More likely alcohol-induced dementia.

In other news, speaking of giving away gear, my Marketing Director, who is having a tough day (to the point where he's giving his patented "thinking about quitting" spiel), just walked into my office, set down an acoustic in a nice hardshell case, and said the following:

"Want a guitar? It's yours. Don't tell Michelle [his girlfriend]."

Then he walked right out, with no further explanation.

:what

Of course, I have no intention of keeping it, but I'ma let him cool down first before I try to suss that sitch.

:help

FrankenFretter
April 29th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I resemble that remark! :mad

More likely alcohol-induced dementia.

In other news, speaking of giving away gear, my Marketing Director, who is having a tough day (to the point where he's giving his patented "thinking about quitting" spiel), just walked into my office, set down an acoustic in a nice hardshell case, and said the following:

"Want a guitar? It's yours. Don't tell Michelle [his girlfriend]."

Then he walked right out, with no further explanation.

:what

Of course, I have no intention of keeping it, but I'ma let him cool down first before I try to suss that sitch.

:help

So having a large mass of guitars must have a huge gravitational pull, hence other guitars are pulled in by the force? Is that what your point was?

sunvalleylaw
April 29th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Steve, how could I forget about Spud's collection....I'm getting old. :thwap

Unfortunately, I never took pics of my collection during my Fender years....I believe my wife still suffers from a guitar trauma ;-)

I wish I could find the thread that has that lawn pic. Jimi, I am completely curious about your fender years, and would have loved to see your collection, along with all the other experiences I am sure you had. :AOK

Eric
April 30th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I wish I could find the thread that has that lawn pic.
Try this (http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=41261&postcount=29).

ZMAN
April 30th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I have been comtenplating downsizing the herd. But then I realize I have a couple of Grandsons now that are under 2 years old. Wouldn't it be nice to have one of Grandad's pristine "old" guitars. The issue I have is the cases.
I used to buy HSCs for them if they didn't come with one. Then I realizee they take up so much space, and are pretty costly when compared to a 300 dollar Squier. So now I buy Deluxe bags, for storage and when I take them out I use one of the HSC cases I have.
Storage is an issue as well.
And of course there is the old line. "You can only play one at a time".
That is why I really don't have a "Number 1" that everyone talks about.

sumitomo
April 30th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Need more room?No problem just tell the wife,sorry but you'll have to clear those clothes,shoes ect. out of the closet because I need room for my guitars,she'll understand.May I suggest not sleeping at night though.Sumi:D

Spudman
April 30th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Need more room?No problem just tell the wife,sorry but you'll have to clear those clothes,shoes ect. out of the closet because I need room for my guitars,she'll understand.May I suggest not sleeping at night though.Sumi:D

On the reverse of that - if you don't keep the closet full of guitars then she will start putting her stuff in there because there is extra space. That's what mine did. Now I try to keep it full at all times.

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2010, 09:12 AM
No no no, the guitars can't be kept at the house, at least not all of them. Then she'd know how many there actually were.

And that could be bad.

kiteman
April 30th, 2010, 09:21 AM
No no no, the guitars can't be kept at the house, at least not all of them. Then she'd know how many there actually were.

And that could be bad.

I wouldn't want to be in your shoes mate. :what

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't want to be in your shoes mate. :what

She knows there are a lot.

Just not an exact number.

;)

I can live with that.

;)

Bloozcat
April 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM
"You might have too many guitars if...."

You need to take out a second mortgage just to re-string them all at once....

Re-stringing all your guitars at the same time causes nickel and steel prices to spike on the commodities market...

If you were to plug them all in at the same time the current draw would crash the national electric grid...

You decided years ago to name all your guitars "George" because it was too confusing trying to remember all the names...

Earth First has a permanent protest set up outside your door for all the trees you're responsible for killing....

The value of your guitar investment is greater than the GNP of Mexico...

A new psychological disorder has been created using a contraction of the Latin word for guitar and your name...

:cool:

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM
"You might have too many guitars if...."
You decided years ago to name all your guitars "George" because it was too confusing trying to remember all the names...

:cool:
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimoremomblog/George%20Foreman.jpg

Nope!

Sonia '60 Duo-Sonic
Brownie Tex-Mex Tele Special
Blondie '52 RI Telecaster
Seven Squier MIJ P-Bass
Ruby DeArmond Jet Star
Blue Ovation Breadwinner
Chrissie Hamer USA Special
Cherie Les Paul Studio DC
Nell Fender Standard Jazz Bass MIM
Joan Gretsch Electromatic Special Jet
Violet ‘parts” Telecaster w/Seymour Duncan mini-hum in neck
Raquel Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe
Valerie Agile P-90 Valkyrie II
Theresa 1980 Peavey T-60
Cassie Les Paul Classic
Rickie Rickenbacker 620
Candy Peavey USA Predator Strat
Stormy Schecter Tempest Special
Corrine Brownsville Choirboy
Goldie Epiphone Ltd. Ed. WildKat
Dani Danelectro Hodad
Farrah Peavey USA Fury Bass I (’84-‘86)
Daisy Daisy Rock Retro-H 12-string
Birdie Epiphone Thunderbird bass
Natalie Peavey '78/'79 T-40 Bass

poodlesrule
April 30th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I mentioned bits of this conversation, the guitar count, to my sweetie, and she said she already lost count (at my puny level)... which gives me hope!

Wedding anniversary is coming up so I have to be on my best behavior, not a good time to make waves, but I did remind her that the week-end cottage was *her* idea...

mainestratman
April 30th, 2010, 02:34 PM
http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/129171295733586466.jpg

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2010, 02:36 PM
http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/129171295733586466.jpg

lulz!

:dude

Spudman
April 30th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I don't have a guitar boat. Hmmmmmm.:cool: I guess I could keep it outside.:agree

Tig
April 30th, 2010, 09:11 PM
There's one sign and only one sign that you may have too many guitars...
When you say that you have too many, and not someone else (what do they know?).

Disclaimer:
YMMV

bigoldron
May 1st, 2010, 06:34 PM
Try this (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1824&page=2).

Thanks for finding that pic, Eric. I just showed it to my wife and told her "see, I don't have too many guitars...."! LOL :rollover

pes_laul
May 1st, 2010, 06:46 PM
For me you cant have enough playable guitars. I have like four guitars that are unplayable and just take up room