PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez model number system..?

poodlesrule
April 28th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Many Ibanez LP-style guitars seem indistinguishable at first.

For example, does "SZ320" say something about the guitar?
(there is one for sale locally, actually)

Is there a way to "sort" them out?

A lot of Ibanez LPs seem to be used for distortion-heavy stuff. Why is that?

Eric
April 28th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I'm curious about the numbering too, but aren't all of those more superstrat-like than LP-like?

Spudman
April 28th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Almost anything that starts with an "S" has a rounded Strat shaped body. The SZ is a thicker model and the SZR is a newer version of the SZ that might even be thicker. An S or SA generally has thin contoured Strat shaped body that is very comfortable.

RG = Rock Guitar as far as I'm concerned. Deep pointy cutaways.

AR or ART are the Artist series. ARTs have deviated from the original AR shape and features yet the ARC which is discontinued stayed close to the ART design. The Artist (AR) are double cutaways that are shallower than the RG but follow the Les Paul design of tonal and pickup options somewhat.

PL = is the discontinued Pro Line series. Very nice pro level instruments with some unique features and were predecessors somewhat to the RG design.

X = guitars with radical 80s metal guitar hero shapes

FR = Somewhat of a Telecaster shape single cutaway

JTK = retro solid body shape

Then you have the sponsored artists models.
JS = Joe Satriani based somewhat off an S series guitar.
JEM = Steve Vai similar to an RG.
AT = Andy Timmons is somewhat of an RG model with a pick guard.

Duffy
May 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Poodlesrule, I just got a new old stock SZ320 goldtop for 250 out the door with a new set of DR strings.

This is an awesome guitar with twin Ibanez/Duncan Seymour open coil humbuckers.

The tone is incredible, thick, full of rich musicality accross the spectrum. It does great clear chords and beautiful blues leads. It is a mahogany superstrat looking guitar but sounds more like a really really good Les Paul.

One distinguishing point being that the middle switch position splits the humbuckers but the sound is not single coilish but rather humbuckerish, taking a coil from each humbucker and combining the sounds for a really useable sound quite unlike a single coil sound. I'm not sure how they do it but I'm sure someone here knows.

These are really great guitars, way better in my opinion than the SZR's now being sold without the duncan colaborated pickups.

Play an SZ and you will see immediately what I mean.

I would imagine that a lot of stores still carry them, even online, at deep discounts. Mine was originally six something, marked down to four something. Since I know the dude at the store I got a super great NOS price because the guitar didn't move. Brand new, mint condition, goldtop. Nice gold finish I might add, compared to some I've seen that don't even look gold.

SZ320 = one great Ibanez guitar, by me. Hot pickps too, that hit the preamp hard, like my Micheal Kelly Patriot Custom with the direct mount Rockfield HB's.

bigG
May 1st, 2010, 09:55 PM
Maybe you should check their site...?

Or call them at 1-800-669-4226 and ask for a fax or email? Although Spud seems to have covered it nicely.

I HAD an S520EX (I think it was). Killer guitar for nasty shredding and brootal sounds! Keep in mind, though, their resale/trade value is in the dumper, so plan on keeping it. (One caveat: the Prestige Series are okay for trade/resale - Ibanez high-end guits do alright there.)