PDA

View Full Version : Versatile - tube amp combos

jpfeifer
April 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hey guys,

I thought that I would get some of your feedback on versatile tube amp combos. I've been using modeling amps for some time now (currently using Vox AD120VTX and a Roland Cube 60), due to the flexibility and reliability. But occasionally I do miss having that fatter tube tone, or a smaller combo that packs a lot of punch that I can use for everything.

I've been considering getting a very flexible tube amp combo in the future.
I've thought about the Bogner Alchemist or the Mesa Boogie Express 5:50.

The whole reason I switched to modeling amps in the past was due to tube reliability issues that I had battled on countless times with my old Rivera combo. (maybe this was just a fluke with that model?)

Do any of you have any thoughts about the amps I've listed above, or others like them that I should consider?

My wish list of features are the following:
- quality (I'm willing to spend more for something that sounds good and holds up well)
- tone (it's got to sound great. my current modeling amp sounds great, so I wouldn't switch unless it sounded at least this good)
- versatility (I need it to be super versatile. I play with an oldies band, play for church services, and do recording work whenever I can. The only tones I don't really need are heavy metal. But it needs to excell at clean tones, blues, country, classic rock sounds. I just won't need it to do any dropped-d death metal kind of sounds. I'm way to old for that stuff anyway :-)
- compact and expandable (I need something that is small enough to use for church gigs, but expandable via an extention cab or something for live shows where I need more volume)

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback on the ones I've listed so far.

-- Jim

FrankenFretter
April 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I'm far from an expert on these things Jim, but NW Basser, BC Don and I all tried out an Egnater Tweaker (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Egnater-Tweaker-112-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=423554) recently at Guitar Center. It was very impressive, and quite versatile. We tried the head/speaker combination, but there is a combo available. And it does have an external speaker out jack, too.

http://www.drumza.com/images/EgnaterTweaker112GuitarAmp.jpg

I can't say enough about how great this thing sounds. At least try one out, if you get the chance.

Tig
April 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM
The Tweaker is great, but looking at the wattages of Jim's existing amps, I'd point him toward the Rebel 30 2x12 (http://www.egnateramps.com/Products/Rebel/Rebel30212.html) (much more versatile than the Reb 20 or Tweaker) or even the Renegade 18/65 watt 2x12 combo (http://www.egnateramps.com/Products/Renegade/Renegade212.html) (they have several other combo's).

That said, The Express 5:50 and the Alchemist are both incredible amps, and are easily among the best I've ever played. You can't go wrong with either, but the only issue you might have with the Mesa is the lack of a super jazz clean. That was the only short coming I could find.

jpfeifer
April 28th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback on this topic guys!

I haven't tried the Egnater amps at all, but they look like good quality stuff.

The only one I've tried so far is the Bogner Alchemist. I loved it! It's a very nice amp and gets some incredible sounds for blues or clean, in addition to screaming distorted tones.

I haven't tried the Boogie Express series, but from the online videos of it, I'm not crazy about the tone. It sounds ok, but it doesn't really impress me like these Alchemist amps do.

Here's some videos of both:
Alchemist: http://www.bogneramplification.com/videos_alchemist.php

Mesa Boogie Express: http://www.mesaboogie.com/demo/ExpressDemo700.html

Maybe it's the difference between the players? The Alchemist just seems to have more of that tweed sound.

--Jim

Robert
April 28th, 2010, 03:39 PM
My Line 6 Spider Valve MkII is a tube amp with modeling built in... very versatile and loud beast!

gHaTKwskrzM
uIBdiZme6i8
l6vjYIk-alw

jpfeifer
April 28th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Wow, I love those tones on the Spider Valve. It sounds as versatile as my Vox AD120VTX, but with more tube tone. This may be the one that I should get one day.

Does it come with a footswitch to turn on/off all the effects as you're playing? Does it do clean tones loudly or does it break up the clean tones when you turn up?

I should try one.

Robert
April 28th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Jim, it does clean tones VERY loud, no breaking up, unless you want that to happen - it could do it too if you want. Just turn up the gain more.

It has a footswitch to store all your preset you create. It's not free with the amp though - it's an additional buy (which is too bad, I wish amps always came with these things).

Yeah try one and see what you think.

sumitomo
April 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I agree it sucks when it has a footswitch and you have to buy it seperate!To me that's misleading.Sumi:D

hubberjub
April 29th, 2010, 10:15 AM
My vote would be for the Mesa. I've owned a Maverick 2x12 for about eight years now and it has never let me down. I've never played the Alchemist but I have heard mixed reviews. I'm not a big fan of modeling amps but Robert does make that Spider sound good.

mainestratman
April 29th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I love my Hotrod Deluxe.

Just sayin'. :-)

Plank_Spanker
April 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I, too, play modelling gear..................and I'm also fond of my tube amps.

Compared to modelling amps, versatile is not a term I normally attach to tube amps. Each of them has a certain character, voice and response that is always present regardless of FX used.

I guess that's why I own a collection of both styles. My choice of amp hinges on the gig or my mood. :D

Brian Krashpad
April 30th, 2010, 09:33 AM
My Line 6 Spider Valve MkII is a tube amp with modeling built in...

Yeah, my Super Champ XD is the same deal, combo of modeling and tube, but in a smaller package (1x10, 15W). Have been using it in church as my stage monitor (lined out to PA), and in my acoustic-based folk rock/Americana band and been very happy with it. Played a show last night with it, and will use it for 2 shows with the same band tonight.

Picked it up on the cheap like new for $175 in a pawn. Great deal, though I dropped another $15 or so on the foot pedal from MF, for channel switching and effects on/off.

guitardan777
May 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Compared to modelling amps, versatile is not a term I normally attach to tube amps. Each of them has a certain character, voice and response that is always present regardless of FX used.
:D

+1

Typically a batch of pedals up front on a nice tube amp will give you the versaitilty you may need. Probably why there is a gazillion pedals to choose from.

Here's a new amp line that are pretty versatile and most of the amp functions are on the pedal.
http://www.boltamps.com/pages/IsolatedProduct/50combo112.html

:dude

Katastrophe
May 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Look at the Peavey Vypyr 60 watt tube modeler. Excellent tones for the money. I would be wary of the knobs, though. They do flex a bit and may be fragile.

In the same line as the Super Champ XD is the Fender Deluxe Vintage Modified. Not necessarily a modeler, but is a combo of tubes and digital effects / reverb. Also available as a head / cab version in the Band Master Vintage Modified. Greg Koch made a vid floating around You Tube where the amp sounds amazing. Of course, Mr. Koch could plug into a potato and make it sound incredible, and serve up tasty french fries when he's done.

Marshall has the Haze line, with a 40 watt combo. Two channel tube amp with built in effects. They also have the new JMD:1 series that looks awesome. A bit pricey, though.

Robert
May 18th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I have to say I think the Peavey Vypyr looks good on paper, but it sounded awful to me. The Vypyr I tried did, anyway. :(

250Keith
May 18th, 2010, 05:14 PM
super camp xd,

oldguy
May 18th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I have to say I think the Peavey Vypyr looks good on paper, but it sounded awful to me. The Vypyr I tried did, anyway. :(

Ditto, Robert. I really wanted to like it, too. The Classics are such nice amphs, the Windsors were great bang-for-the-buck amphs, but I just didn't care for the Vypyr I played. It had a weird noise all the time.......

jpfeifer
May 20th, 2010, 07:26 AM
I finally got a chance to test drive the Line6 Spider Valve. I was blown away with the variety of tones you can get from this amp, and the tones were very tube-like and 3 dimensional. My only nit was the it was somewhat less intuitive to use than my Vox modeling amp, but the tones were amazing. The guy at Guitar Center said that they're selling them like crazy right now because people are liking the flexibility, of having the tube tone but the programmability of a modeling amp, etc.

For what I do, this is the type of amp I would use a lot since you can setup a variety of sounds to fit whatever style you need to cover. Now if I can convince myself that it will hold up well and not fail on my in the middle of a gig (the way my old Rivera amp used to) then there may be reason to switch from my trusty Vox valvetronix and buy this thing along with the foot pedal (a must for these types of programable amps)

--Jim

Robert
May 20th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Yeah it's very flexible and sounds good. I used it for our most recent gig, and I had fantastic tone.

jpfeifer
May 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Robert, can you get a decent copy of a Dumble sound out of it (Robben Ford sort of tone)? My Vox has a modle of that sound that I like to use. It's not dead on but it works pretty well. I didn't have enough time to try that on the SpiderValve. Let me know if you have discovered such a preset on the amp.

--Jim

Robert
May 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Haven't really tried to get that tone. The amp models listed doesn't mention the Dumble tone, but I can make an attempt.

Eric
June 2nd, 2010, 06:11 AM
You know, it just occurred to me that if you're interested in a Dumble tone, I think Ceriatone makes a couple of decent copies of some of those amps like the ODS. It might be worth investigating.

Tig
June 2nd, 2010, 07:18 AM

Out of the box, the solid state Vypyrs suck. You have to re-program the patches (http://geronigroove.free.fr/vypyr/?choice=select&choix_stomp=%&choix_user=%&choix_amps=%&choix_amps_type=%&choix_rack=%&choixmotcle=&ordre=) to get it's potential. Also, the stock speakers plain suck, as do the "red" channel versions of the amp models. Wow, I think I just verified what you said!
:applause