PDA

View Full Version : Thumb picks... when to sart trying them?

poodlesrule
April 28th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Should a near-beginner try thumb picks at all at this stage (to satisfy curiosity?), or is it something that should come after a good amount of regular pick technique is mastered?

just looking a t a quick web search, there seem to be quite a few variations around the thumb pick design/materials.

markb
April 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Should a near-beginner try thumb picks at all at this stage (to satisfy curiosity?), or is it something that should come after a good amount of regular pick technique is mastered?

How do you play at present. With just a flat pick or do you use your picking hand fingers at all. If the latter, you should probably give a thumbpick a go. I will say that it's better to develop a proper thumb technique and not use at all though.

just looking at a quick web search, there seem to be quite a few variations around the thumb pick design/materials.

The curse of web obsessives, eh? The plastic Dunlop ones from the local guitar shop are fine.

Zip
April 28th, 2010, 05:29 PM
When I taught my daughter (the 3rd time ;)), she used a thumbpick out of curiosity [and watching old Johnny Winter vids]. Worked out just fine, she's since 'progressed' to fingerpicking & flatpicking. I actually think, for her anyway, it allowed her to concentrate more on what her left hand was doing on the fretboard.

Plus, she grew out of screamo so it's all good. :applause

sunvalleylaw
April 28th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Whenever you want! I tried them I think in my first year, when my instructor at that time who uses thumb picks wanted to look at some fingerstyle stuff. Go for it! It is fun!

hubberjub
April 30th, 2010, 06:48 AM
There is no harm in trying them at any point. I use a thumb pick when playing pedal steel. I can't use them on my six strings because I don't like the position it forces my right hand to take.