PDA

View Full Version : A Dare . . .

sunvalleylaw
April 28th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I dare you to admit a song you really liked and played over and over in your youth, but now realize was extremely lame to your ears now. For me, those songs existed largely in middle school when I first discovered girls and got all pie faced and sappy about it. My lame song I dare to admit:

10cc I'm not in Love.
rz_zsouEVpc

Ok, GO! I dare you. :puke:

deeaa
April 28th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Fair enough...can't really think of ever playing any lame song somebody else made, as right from the start I almost exclusively played my own songs.

I did learn a handful of songs like Heaven & Hell and Fade to Black etc. but they aren't lame to me even now.

BUT some of my own songs sure were lame...here's one off my second ever studio session...it was, um, 1989 and I was ~18...singer/songwriter/guitarist...forgive me, I had only really done it for a year by that time. As a side note the clean guitar is a Bill Lawrence tele D/I and the driven is an am.std.strat with lace sensors into a JCM800 half-stack.

http://deeaa.pp.fi/WorldOfMine.mp3

Pretty damned lame, even saxophones etc. Back then I was still into blues and jazz and all that lame-o stuff, because I hadn't really learned to play and sing rock yet ;-)

sunvalleylaw
April 28th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Oh, I didn't mean you had to have played it yourself musically. I only played that 10cc song on an 8 track tape or something. I just meant one you listened to a lot. I would not call your personal work lame.

deeaa
April 28th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Ah, OK...well I grew up on classical & some jazzy stuff, but when I was maybe nine or ten, my sister had some pop stuff I would probably not listen to any more...like...can't find them on YouTube...Clyde Shelton Singers or something...and some, like Jackson 5 or similar I listened to for a while before I found Judas Priest :-)

markb
April 29th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Lots of (mostly manufactured) glam rock like The Sweet

BgrYf7VWASE

But I don't regret T. Rex.

9Pldzo1Elz0

marnold
April 29th, 2010, 08:07 AM
The first cassette tape I ever got was the Village People "Go West".

Let us never speak of this again.

mainestratman
April 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I would love to participate in this thread, but honestly I've rocked since day one.

:-D

otaypanky
April 29th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Not too long after my gramma gave me a pocket transistor radio, it became pretty clear to my parents that I was sicko for sound. They got me one of those little record players in the close up case, you know, with the fuzzy grey turntable? Man, did I wear out those 45's. OK, here comes the embarrassing part, man this is tough ~~~
G GG Gaaaa Gary Lewis and the Playboys. There, I said it. LOL I used to come home from school and sing my little slowly dropping nuts off. But I widened my horizons quickly and was singin' Da Do Ron Ron before you knew it. There was a bunch of good stuff. When the records got so worn out they skipped constantly I tried something I heard somewhere. I took my mom's lipstick and rubbed it on the record. When that spike of a needle ran through it like a plow it filled in the low spots of the ridges and it worked for a while. Uh, yeah, it did make a major mess

sumitomo
April 29th, 2010, 08:43 AM
10cc I'm not in Love. :what

Guess I was more stoned back then than I thought I was,cause I always thought Paul McCartney and Wings sang that song.I was always thinking man where's the Beatles? Sumi:D

Jimi75
April 29th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Yeah that's a good thread...and there are many songs that sound lame to my ears whn I isten to them now, but I loved listening to them when I was young.

My no 1 "so lame now song" is: Wonderful Life by Black - a British band

BUT there is one song I loved it since I was a kid, I played it a million times, and everytime I listen to it I like it like it was the first time I'm listening to it.

The song is called "No Easy Way Out" by Robert Tepper. This song is from the ROCKY IV soundtrack - man, I love that song!!!!

Tig
April 29th, 2010, 08:53 AM
10cc "I'm Not in Love"? Um, me too!
Although sappy as can be, I loved the synth vocal sounds in the song. Even today, I still like that sound when I'm goofing around on a synth.

I'm trying to remember anything I liked back then that is embarassing... Ted Nugent's Double Live Gonzo album? Nahhh, it rocked!
How about some of Supertramp's music? I wasn't a big fan, but their bass player, Dougie Thompson, was over at our house one night in 1981... Friend of a friend kinda thing.
I'll admit that I was a Pat Benitar fan. She had some serious pipes and was cute as a button back then.

tunghaichuan
April 29th, 2010, 09:10 AM
How about some of Supertramp's music? I wasn't a big fan, but their bass player, Dougie Thompson, was over at our house one night in 1981... Friend of a friend kinda thing.

Bingo, Supertramp for me too. And John Denver. :messedup:

I'll admit that I was a Pat Benitar fan. She had some serious pipes and was cute as a button back then.

And Neil Giraldo is one hell of a guitar player.

Bloozcat
April 29th, 2010, 09:38 AM
The whole album "The Monkees".

I was only 13 then and the real 60's rock explosion was just in it's infancy...

R_of_G
April 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Let's just say that in retrospect, Leroy Brown might not be as bas as his reputation might otherwise suggest. :nope

syo
April 29th, 2010, 10:01 AM
+1 for The Sweet. For me it was Fox on the Run.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2MDCbIhTa_w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2MDCbIhTa_w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

By the way, is that David St. Hubbins on vocals? ;)
Desolation Blvd. Was the first album I ever sold. I felt some shame/embarrassment about 4 years after buying it. Runner up goes to Carry on My Wayward Son. Second album I ever sold...

Btw... "I'm Not in Love" still one of my all time faves. Know nothing else from 10cc but that one does it for me every time.

Algonquin
April 29th, 2010, 10:16 AM
A bunch of good posts here... and I really don't think any are truly shameful.

I can remember digging this song as a kid... who am I kidding, I just found myself smiling when I dug it up.

xjloX_EvYiI

mainestratman
April 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM
"Destination Boulevard" was a great album. :-)

And I just heard that Captain and Tenille song at the store.. LOL

Spudman
April 29th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Oh boy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-XzGOZHYdA
Double oh boy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySjxZDT_5SA&feature=related

sunvalleylaw
April 29th, 2010, 10:42 AM
LOL!! This is great! Marnold, that was classic and gave me a much needed laugh. Spud, so how stoned do you think the guy talking in the Dr. Hook video was?

sunvalleylaw
April 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Bingo, Supertramp for me too. And John Denver. :messedup:

And Neil Giraldo is one hell of a guitar player.

Ok, I might still listen to Supertramp. At least Crime of the Century and particularly School.

jY-kR0UJWzQ

I won't apologize for that one. I still love the piano solo.

And John Denver wrote the first "chord song" I learned on guitar. But that song was assigned not chosen.

Captain and Tenille, Sweet, yep. I listened to them. What about this one?

gl4Y4FWWkn0

Ok, I might be embarrassed now. :thwap :what

marnold
April 29th, 2010, 11:38 AM
LOL!! This is great! Marnold, that was classic and gave me a much needed laugh.
And people wonder why I turned to metal . . .

No shame in liking Pat Benatar. I even found a way to like her shimmy-shake in the lamentable "Love Is a Battlefield" video.

Of course, due to my mother's record collection, during the 70s I was only exposed to:
50's pop (not the worst thing in the world)
Oak Ridge Boys (smokin' cigarettes and watching Capt. Kangaroo)
The Lettermen
Barry Manilow

The only good thing is that I was mostly spared disco. I repeat: And people wonder why I turned to metal . . .

Remember, every time someone plays "Wildfire" a puppy gets rabies.

hubberjub
April 29th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I was born in '78 but my musical roots were firmly planted in the '80's metal scene. Yes, that does include hair metal. All I listened to was Poison and the like.

FrankenFretter
April 29th, 2010, 01:27 PM
When I was in grade school, we got to take a field trip to our local AM station, and each kid got to take a 45 home with them. Mine was Sweet - Fox On the Run. I loved that song.

But as long as we're being honest...I did listen to this one over and over, and yes, I am ashamed. In my defense, I was young.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oq1MTRfiXMU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oq1MTRfiXMU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

markb
April 29th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Surely if you're going to have a Captain and Toenail (thks, Kinky Friedmann) song it has to be this sordid paean to randy rodents :D

yKw8j7GLSdw

Eric
April 30th, 2010, 09:09 AM
gl4Y4FWWkn0

Ok, I might be embarrassed now. :thwap :what
Ha...large chunks of his acoustic guitar solo sounds like the wanking that comes out of my guitar sometimes.

oldguy
April 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Ha...large chunks of his acoustic guitar solo sounds like the wanking that comes out of my guitar sometimes.

If you can sing like that as well, I'd say you've got a shot, Eric.

helliott
April 30th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I think I match these for questionable taste. It was 1969. I was 12. There was a girl.

(And consider this note posted by one of the UTube Andy Kimm fans.
'# Junglehike I have been listening to this song like 30 times today. Apparently a friend of mine in Japan told me the singer is Andy Kim. Arigato Ochiai-san...! My favorite...! It used to be a big hit in Indonesia in the early 70s. I can flip my underwear....!! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J4x2AOLoB0

Bloozcat
April 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I think I match these for questionable taste. It was 1969. I was 12. There was a girl.

(And consider this note posted by one of the UTube Andy Kimm fans.
'# Junglehike I have been listening to this song like 30 times today. Apparently a friend of mine in Japan told me the singer is Andy Kim. Arigato Ochiai-san...! My favorite...! It used to be a big hit in Indonesia in the early 70s. I can flip my underwear....!! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J4x2AOLoB0

Thanks for that, helliott...my ears are bleeding and I can't get it to stop....;)

sunvalleylaw
April 30th, 2010, 01:12 PM
This thread is hilarious! Lame songs through the decades. LOL! :AOK :happy :pancake :help

tjcurtin1
April 30th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I was noodling the other day, and the guitar lick of 'Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress' (Hollies) came to me. I was never particularly a Hollies fan, but that song was always catchy, thoughI could never understand more than half the words (I would fill them in in typical nonsense lyric fashion when singing along). So I looked up the lyrics - what a lame songwriting job! I am embarrassed to think of it now.

pes_laul
May 1st, 2010, 06:54 PM
Hmm I do not know. im still just a kid pretty much haha.

bigG
May 1st, 2010, 09:32 PM
Oh boy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-XzGOZHYdA
Double oh boy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySjxZDT_5SA&feature=related

I can't remember a song that I liked that I am or was ashamed of. Alot of people thought "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks was lame, but I loved it. It was a rewrite, in English, of a Serge Gainsbourgh hit in French...

The Dr. Hook story: In abt 1971 or 72, towards the end of my gigging days, Dr. Hook was booked in Miami for a big Friday night show. I was backstage and struck up a friendship with Billy Francis (the keyboard player - left rear in the video). They were in town for a couple of days after that show, taking a break and hitting the beach - relaxing.

Billy and I hung out, went to the beach, had dinner, drove around and he met some of my friends and family, stuff like that... I intro'd him to my soon to be ex-wife's best girlfriend and they boffed alot at our house in the wee small hours...she was living with us in our spare bedroom. In our talks, Billy got around to asking me if I'd be interested in replacing their bass player, as he just wasn't gelling w the rest of the band and they were looking to get rid of him. Billy recommended me to Ray Sawyer (eye patch) and Dennis Lacorriere (stoned talker) and myself, Billy, Ray and Dennis jammed at my house. They were onboard for my coming along and replacing the bass player on tour and permanently like, immediately...

After much consideration, I declined, as I was going thru a divorce, had a one year old son, and, quite frankly, was REALLY tired of the road. And, yes, Ray and Dennis, especially, were BIG stoners and totally crazy. I wasn't a stoner and that was another part of my decision making - putting up with totally baked band leaders.

BTW, the late, great Shel Silverstein wrote most all the lyrics to their first couple of albums (including their first hit, "Sylvia's Mother"...anyone remember that one?) and was a "part of the band", so to speak.

Anyway, I didn't take the invite, and the rest is not history...not my history, anyway. They ended up selling out to MOR crap like "Only Sixteen" and others, which diehard fans like myself hated, but, of course, that's when they had truly big hits and made really big money! I kept in touch w Billy for some time after that initial meeting. When I first met him, his phone # and address were an apartment in California. When thay went MOR and really made money, he bought a nice house, had a few nice cars - really great guy and he deserved the success.

I always wondered how I would have ended up had I gone w them, but never really regretted my decision...really!

And, back to the original thread, I knew what I didn't like when I heard it, and the ONLY album I ever burned, literally, was Freddie and The Dreamers' album that had their one hit on it. Can't remember the name of it. Thankfully! (Ah, hell, I just remembered it - "Do the Freddie" I think it was...)

Sorry to be so long-winded, but it's a good story from my past gigging musician days, rubbing elbows with some greats and many not so greats.

The end. Finally! :thwap

Tig
May 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
My memory can no longer suppress this bit of damaging information. At the risk of losing the small amount of street cred I may have scraped up from the gutter, and possibly becoming a rock target for life, I will now confess:

For a very small amount of time in the early 80's, I owned and listened to... this is difficult, so bear with me...
An Adam and the Ants cassette. :nope :eek:
There, I said it, and feel much relieved. All I can say is that it was just a silly, fun, pointless bit of fun (partially to do with a girlfriend, of course).
http://sylviagarza.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/adam-and-the-ants.jpg
Go ahead... Ban me! I've earned it!
:cry:

syo
May 2nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
For a very small amount of time in the early 80's, I owned and listened to... this is difficult, so bear with me...
There, I said it, and feel much relieved. All I can say is that it was just a silly, fun, pointless bit of fun (partially to do with a girlfriend, of course).

Wow, lots of people blaming their girlfriends around here...
Alright play it straight Tig, don't tell me you would switch off Stand and Deliver or Ant Music. You'd still get into it wouldn't you?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nEYjeD5cIy8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nEYjeD5cIy8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Any act with two drum kits can't be all bad...

FrankenFretter
May 2nd, 2010, 01:49 PM
My memory can no longer suppress this bit of damaging information. At the risk of losing the small amount of street cred I may have scraped up from the gutter, and possibly becoming a rock target for life, I will now confess:

http://sylviagarza.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/adam-and-the-ants.jpg
Go ahead... Ban me! I've earned it!
:cry:

You haven't lost any...um...street cred with me, Doug. I'm not ashamed to have listened to Adam and the Ants. That was actually pretty good stuff. And like Syo says, any band with two drummers can't be all bad! I listened to a lot of "New Wave" stuff in the 80s, as well as metal and punk. I was diverse even then; or was it just fence sitting?

Tig
May 2nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
You haven't lost any...um...street cred with me, Doug. I'm not ashamed to have listened to Adam and the Ants. That was actually pretty good stuff. And like Syo says, any band with two drummers can't be all bad! I listened to a lot of "New Wave" stuff in the 80s, as well as metal and punk. I was diverse even then; or was it just fence sitting?
I'm the the musically diverse club as well. In the 80's I'd listen to music from
Metallica to Elvis Costello,
The Cure, Husker Du, Meat Puppets,
Miles Davis, Pretenders, Steely Dan, Neil Young,
Depeche Mode, XTC, Public Image Ltd, TSOL, Black Flag,
MDC, REM, Guns N' Roses, King's X, Fang, Jodie Foster's Army,
Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd, Queen, Adam Ant, Ramones, The Clash, The Jam,
The Police, The Cars, UB40, English Beat, Talk Talk, Echo and the Bunnymen,
Siouxsie and the Banshees, Devo, Dead Kennedeys, Iron Maiden, Stray Cats, Anthrax,
Megadeth, New Order, Jesus and Mary Chain...

This is about 1/4 of the bands I had albums of and listened to, not including dozens of small punk bands that toured across the states.

sunvalleylaw
May 2nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
I'm the the musically diverse club as well. In the 80's I'd listen to music from
Metallica to Elvis Costello,
The Cure, Husker Du, Meat Puppets,
Miles Davis, Pretenders, Steely Dan, Neil Young,
Depeche Mode, XTC, Public Image Ltd, TSOL, Black Flag,
MDC, REM, Guns N' Roses, King's X, Fang, Jodie Foster's Army,
Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd, Queen, Adam Ant, Ramones, The Clash, The Jam,
The Police, The Cars, UB40, English Beat, Talk Talk, Echo and the Bunnymen,
Siouxsie and the Banshees, Devo, Dead Kennedeys, Iron Maiden, Stray Cats, Anthrax,
Megadeth, New Order, Jesus and Mary Chain...

This is about 1/4 of the bands I had albums of and listened to, not including dozens of small punk bands that toured across the states.

I listened to pretty much all of those except the metal guys. Add Talking Heads, The Kingbees, Men at Work, The Violent Femmes, The Romantics, AC/DC, Def Leppard, The Tubes, Springsteen, Van Halen, Jimmy Cliff, The Cult, Lou Reed, SRV, Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper, Prince, . . . etc. There are lots more. Oh, and Adam Ant too.