PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop CryBaby noise

Zip
May 1st, 2010, 06:41 PM
Got an original CryBaby (GCB-95), stock - no mods. Rocking it forwards, there's a loud annoying noise everytime I click the switch...whether on or off. I assume the noise is from the switch itself. Will replacing the switch cure things, or is there something else to try first?

Spudman
May 1st, 2010, 07:40 PM
If it makes noise whether on or off check your cables first. The thing that wears out the fastest is the potentiometer so that would be next followed by the switch. If it has the ability to accept AC input then it might be possible that it got wrong voltage at some time and zorched something inside. Those are pretty much your options.

What kind of noise is it? Can you describe it in more detail?

Zip
May 1st, 2010, 10:04 PM
It's a loud buzzy "Zonk!" sound when the button is pressed. Guitar volume all the way off makes no difference in volume. The pedal sounds & works great, it's just the noise when the button is pushed is all. Guitar to pedal to amp, no other effects. I can just leave the pedal on, and leave it at that. But when I click the button to bypass, thats when I get the noise. Make sense? Kinda?

Edit - No a/c, just battery operated d/c. An old original.

ibanezjunkie
May 2nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
hmm. i remember hearing something like that when my pot was on its way out.

also, the hinge thing (technical terminology there ^_^) on the pedal could (theoretically) make a funny noise when you rock it back and forth.

Spudman
May 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
The switch might be the least expensive thing to try first. Before you buy one or remove the one you have - do you you have any contact cleaner you can shoot into the switch to see if that changes anything?

Zip
May 2nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I have a can of cleaner around here somewhere. Good idea.

The noise happens only when the switch is depressed - the 'hinge thing' seems fine. It "wah's" just great :)

Bloozcat
May 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Yep, sound like the switch or the pot.

The switch should be a Carling SPDT. If it's the pot, you'll have the chance to upgrade to something like the Dunlop Hot Potz II-ECB24B 100k-ohm pot.

The switch is about $12.95, the pot about $20.00-$25.00.