PDA

View Full Version : NAD - Traynor YCV80

t_ross33
May 1st, 2010, 08:28 PM
I've been gassing for a real tube amp for quite awhile now and came across a good deal on Kijiji. Finally was able to make it into the city today and test drive it. Ran my Squier Modified-Vintage Modified Tele straight in and...
:drool:

Beautiful blooming clean tones, great bottom end without loosing any clarity in the upper frequencies, the drive channel is rich and creamy and with the on-board boost kicked in it totally rips!

It's a 5 year old, never-gigged, basement dweller and has less than 10hrs playing time on a complete set of new tubes.

This thing can get LOUD :dude and I'm having a blast introducing her to her playmates.

On the downside (sorta)... I've sold my Washburn HB-30 to help finance this purchase but between my Hag, Strat, Tele and Gretsch I think I have the bases covered.

I'm a happy, happy boy :happy

Specs HERE (http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=170). I'll try to post some clips (maybe even some video) soon.

See you when I come up for air :R

bigG
May 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
Congrats on the new Traynor! Sounds like a real winner and, it's hard to tell - are you really, really happy with it? heh heh :applause

oldguy
May 2nd, 2010, 06:32 AM
Congrats, Trev! I always thought the YCV series were great sounding amphs.
I know Blaze and I love our YCV40 Anniversary model Traynors.
A friend of mine has the 80, and it's like the 40's big brother, really cool sounds and great overdrive, plus boost, just like the 40.

ZMAN
May 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
I had a YCV40 Red. I picked it up second hand because it was a great price.
I was exceptionally clean, but I found it a little too clean. They are great solid amps but I really never bonded with it. That was a few years ago and I probably would like to take another look at it now that I am a little more knowledgable about tube amps and effects. It was a bright red. Traynor is a well respected amp maker and makes a very good product. Probably worth about double what you pay for them. They are really reasonably priced.
I am sure you will love the amp.
They are built like a tank.I really like this one and almost bought it. If I run across this one again I will definitely buy it.
http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=392
Enjoy your 80.

t_ross33
May 2nd, 2010, 09:27 AM
I had a YCV40 Red... I found it a little too clean.

The clean channel is amazing, though I do have to dial back on the treble quite a bit - it can be almost too "bright" sounding. I was searching for an amp that can do Fender clean well - and this can! It can even get some tube break-up on the clean channel with the channel volume dimed :cool:

ZMAN
May 2nd, 2010, 10:27 AM
The clean channel is amazing, though I do have to dial back on the treble quite a bit - it can be almost too "bright" sounding. I was searching for an amp that can do Fender clean well - and this can! It can even get some tube break-up on the clean channel with the channel volume dimed :cool:

Well they have the same complement of tubes as most of the larger Fender amps. 6L6 and 12ax7s.
I never really tried any pedals in front of mine because I was just getting into effects at that time. I bet it will take pedals well.
It is pretty heavy as well at 65 lbs. It is as heavy as my Old Super reverb and probably sounds about the same. Lots of fun for not a bad price.