PDA

View Full Version : unbuntu 10.04 LTS -

guitartango
May 2nd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Just updated to the new version of unbuntu, looking good so far and the horrible brown/orange has gone. Not as slick as Windows 7, but getting there.

Eric
May 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I recently made the switch too. I agree it's pretty slick, but I think that has come at the expense of performance. Everything seems a little slower. Mind you, this is on my 5-year-old computer, but the point remains. Maybe I should go to XFCE as my gui. I liked it the one time I tried it.

bcdon
May 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Turn off some of the eye-candy by "System-->Preferences-->Appearance Preferences," then click on "Visual Effects" and select "None." Switching to a more light weight window manager, like XFCE, will certainly speed things up too.

Everything seems a little slower. Mind you, this is on my 5-year-old computer, but the point remains. Maybe I should go to XFCE as my gui. I liked it the one time I tried it.

Eric
May 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Turn off some of the eye-candy by "System-->Preferences-->Appearance Preferences," then click on "Visual Effects" and select "None." Switching to a more light weight window manager, like XFCE, will certainly speed things up too.
Thanks. I couldn't get the visual effects to work very well anyway, so I had already turned them off -- is that what that 'compiz' thing is in the system monitor?

I think there are a couple of other tweaks I might try after I get XFCE on here.