PDA

View Full Version : Potential DVM-type Local Friend or someone who wants to kill me...

Commodore 64
May 4th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Got a response to a CL ad, where I was looking to trade for tube amps.

I also have too many guitars.
But they are ''out-too-manied'' by my amplifiers !
5e3's..."Plexi-luxes" [more of a Marshall voicing in a 5e3= 6v6 PP / 12a_7 preamping.
Many others also, waiting for interest before buying filter capacitors for them all...VOX w/MM irons, JJ tubes...A dual single ended Blackface tube amp [SE sweetness at volumes usable with a band ! requires 2 separate speakers of course].
Various other tube items...you should stop by for coffee and check them out...personalized Fuzzboxes and all the free consultations/demonstrations about cabinets/speakers and how to make a tube amp sing !

That sounds pretty cool, someone to learn from, and maybe get in on some cool gear. My wife said "Don't go, he will try to kill or rape you like in Silence of the Lambs.". She was only half-kidding. I've met some really nice people on CL doing deals, and of course there's the asshat who ripped me off on the tele.

I'm inclined to give the guy a call. What say you?

Eric
May 4th, 2010, 09:55 AM
This is just me being cynical, but the talk of 'personalized fuzzboxes' and making a tube amp 'sing' speak to me of somebody who knows enough to sound knowledgeable, but really just wants to sell you something. If it was me, I'd probably see him, but would have my expectations very very low.

mainestratman
May 4th, 2010, 10:32 AM

"It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again!"

:poke

NWBasser
May 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Consultations/demonstrations probably means he wants to sell you Amway.

Some sort of sales spiel for sure though.

Maybe a timeshare condo in the Bahamas to go with the Plexi.:poke