PDA

View Full Version : I finally found a #1

ZMAN
May 4th, 2010, 11:21 AM
In my quest for tone I have been through probably 30 Electric guitars and 6 or seven tube amps.
I have always heard people talk about their #1 guitar. One that just feels right, sounds right and plays like a dream.
I have some wonderful guitars but I seem to move from one to another.
Then I realized that my Gold Top Classic had just about everything I wanted except the tone. It is light for a Les Paul, quite pleasing to the eye, I love the 60s profile on the neck an the action has been set perfect for me.
I really was not upset with the ceramics but I just wanted a more vintage Gibby tone.
I have never modded or changed anything on any of my guitars in the past other than having a bone nut installed on one of my Sheratons. I was always reluctant to mess with them.
I listened to many Humbuckers but decided I really liked the Burstbuckers PAF
type tone. I was lucky enough to find a set of BB1 and BB2s out of a Gibby Historic with aged covers. I mentioned it in another thread.
I heard a lot about the RS Vintage pot and cap kits and ordered one for it. I had them all intstalled.
Now after playing it endlessly for 3 or 4 days I realize it has everything I wanted in a guitar and now can be my number 1 guitar.
The pickups are sweet and go from smooth jazz tones to raunchy blues solos.
The new volume and tone pots make dialing in just about anything you want possible. Cudos to RS for their kits, worth every nickel. The neck pickup has none of the "muddiness" that some LPs are known for.
I am a happy camper!
I guess a couple of pics are in order.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P5040047.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P5040049.jpg

marnold
May 4th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Cool! Very sharp looking guitar. Glad it now sounds as good as it looks!

Geraint Jones
May 4th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Zman that is a beautiful looking guitar , I`m sure there's a parable in there somewhere in your search for the holy grail of playability/tone . Maybe I`ll put some burstbuckers in my Strat .

Blaze
May 4th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Good for you Z ,this is your dreamed guitar , it sure looks like one ..

I know you re not into posting clips but could be cool to hear your favorite..

Splendid Goldie...:applause

MAXIFUNK
May 4th, 2010, 01:18 PM
GREAT looking axe Enjoy and if you ever get bored of her let know. LOL

Tig
May 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM
So I guess asking to borrow it for a few weeks is out of the question?
:poke

Congrat's on the mod's. I bet I'd like it, too. Those are excellent pickups.
When I do get an LP, I might do something similar, depending on where it is to begin with.

Robert
May 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Congrats. Be sure to drop it off at my house next week.

ZMAN
May 4th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks guys, as I said before I am very happy with the outcome.
I also have a 96 LP Standard that is just a tad heavy. Other than that it is a close second.
I bought the Goldie about a year and a half ago and it was in the mix so to speak, but I always seemed to bring it out more often.
After hearing the Joe Bonamass DVD from the Albert Hall I knew I had to find that tone. So far with my DSL100 and my DD20 I am pretty close. The playing has a long way to go but the tone is there.
No Blaze. No clips from me. I have no gear to record it anyway.
Geraint: Now that I know how good they sound. If I didn't own a Gibby, I would probably save myself a ton of money and drop the pickups and RS kilt into an Epi or other clone like an Agile and if it was light enough and set up properly, be happy with the outcome.

otaypanky
May 4th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Did you use 50's style or modern wiring?

http://www.dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/WireLibrary-Gibson.html

Jimi75
May 5th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Glad you found your number 1. That Goldtop is gorgeous and sometimes a little pick up change opens up a new world of tone :-)

ZMAN
May 5th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Did you use 50's style or modern wiring?

http://www.dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/WireLibrary-Gibson.html

I had it wired according to the "RS Les Paul W/Aged Bumblebees" Schematic that comes with the kit.
The vintage kit I bought has .022 aged caps for both neck and bridge. There was another kit that had an .015 neck and 022 bridge.
Looking at the shematics that you supplied it is the 50s style. Not the one with independent volume controls.
Here is what RS says:
"To get the most out of the kit. Please follow the schematic exactly.
This wiring diagram is designed to give you the most out of the components in the kit."
As far as I am concerned they were correct. All of the original internals were removed with the plate and he installed them directly to the wood, and a new jack was installed as well.
And about your other comment about them being too bright I don't find them any where near as bright as the ceramics and these tone controls actually control the tone. LOL. I can dial the neck back a little and it doesn't muffle it.
Keep in mind it is a chambered body, so it isn't as mellow as my full bodied 96 standard, but it is the tone I have been looking for.
Jimi: It really has made a big difference in the tone. I guess getting my new DSL100 (2008) has helped a lot as well.

mrmudcat
May 5th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Vintage style and the old russian military BumbleB's if they are the luxes are freaking bliss!!!!

Nice zman a goldie is in my futre!!!

M29
May 5th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Awesome ZMAN absolutely awesome!!!

mainestratman
May 6th, 2010, 05:24 AM
:beer:

ZMAN
May 6th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Vintage style and the old russian military BumbleB's if they are the luxes are freaking bliss!!!!

Nice zman a goldie is in my futre!!!

Yes they are the luxes! Just as you say absolutely sweetness to my ears.

otaypanky
May 6th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I like that 50's style wiring. To my ears I get my cleanest sounds when I have the volume rolled down to maybe half and the tone controls down almost the same as well. The tone controls seem to act a bit like a gain control.
It doesn't get muddy until the tone pots are almost down to 0.
Enjoy! Glad you're diggin' it