PDA

View Full Version : How to get this Strat sound?

M29
May 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Hello,

I absolutely love the sound of Rob Tognoni's Stat in this song and wondered how to get it. I am sure plenty of it is in his fingers and he probably has a Marshall but do you think it might be in the type pickups he is using? If so any idea what they are?

Here is a short cut from a song he did. The sound I am looking for is the rhythm sound. The name of the song is, Roosevelt & Ira Lee.

http://webpages.charter.net/tankm4/tognoni.mp3

Thanks

M29

Jimi75
May 6th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Here's what I hear:

Strat - Middle Position - PUs could be 69CS according to the brightness and gristle.

Amp - not a Marshall I'd say - rather a Fender, maybe a Fender Concert 1x15 or a Fender Silverface Vibrolux.

Definitely some kind of transparent pedal added. I can get such sound with my OCD, but thie sounds like an Occo Diablo with Overdrive set very low.

He probably uses something entirely different, but with the above mentioned you'll get that kind of sound.

M29
May 6th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Thanks Jimi. I love that Crang in his tone!

M

Bloozcat
May 6th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Rob Tognini is a great blues/blues rock guitarist. As is the case for many in the music biz today, he's known to but a small segment of listeners.

I first heard him on live365 on the net, along with many other great guitar players that fly under the mainstream music radar.

guitartango
May 6th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Its amazing what you can find on his website.

http://www.robtognoni.com/equipment.htm (http://www.robtognoni.com/equipment.htm)

M29
May 6th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Duh...should have thought of that. Thanks guitartango!

guitartango
May 6th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Duh...should have thought of that. Thanks guitartango!

What I don't get is his choice of pedals, behringer ?

sunvalleylaw
May 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM
What I don't get is his choice of pedals, behringer ?

With a Bugera amph, which I understand is Behringer made, he must be sponsored. In fact I just looked again. The Berhinger logo, along with an ad for Bugera amphs, is right there across the top. I have that PB-100 boost. It seems a good little boost and works just fine. My Behringer tuner sometimes gives me a little noise when it is on, but the boost seems fine. I don't sound like him though, and can't say I got that crang through it. That sounds like a lot of confidence in the fingers and picking attack too.

M29
May 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
No idea if he was using this equipment when the song I questioned was recorded either.

I thought the sound had a nice somewhat thick midrange like a Marshall but now I do believe he was using Fender like Jimi suggested.

fuddmusic
May 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I may be able to shed some light.
The track was recorded in late 1996. The microphones used were a Seinheiser MD421 (close) and a Rhode (NT1 I think) for some room. The amp was a modified Marshall JCM 800 100w, converted to 50w. The quad box had 4 x 75w celestions in it.
The lead guitar was an '89 Japanese stratocaster, using the neck pickup which was a seymour Duncan classic strat stack humbucker.
The main rythmn guitar was a Japanese re-issue '62 strat with it's stock pickups. no pedals were used with the reissue, just guitar - cable - amp.
How's that for memory?
rob

Jimi75
May 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Smells like an endorsement deal. :crazyguy

DeanEVO_Dude
May 7th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I downloaded a couple of his songs (gonna have to dig 'em up agian) a long, long time ago... back when mp3.com was new.... Stones and Colours was one of my favorites, great tune!

fuddmusic
May 8th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I downloaded a couple of his songs (gonna have to dig 'em up agian) a long, long time ago... back when mp3.com was new.... Stones and Colours was one of my favorites, great tune!

Thank you
rob

Tig
May 8th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Thank you
rob

I take it that we're talking to the Rob Tognoni now?
Seriously, is that you?

M29
May 8th, 2010, 06:05 AM
rob :poke

fuddmusic
May 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I take it that we're talking to the Rob Tognoni now?
Seriously, is that you?

Hi Tig, yes. Hope I've been some help with the sound...it was a long time ago, but I still remember most of my studio recordings.
rob

M29
May 8th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Seriously, is that you?

M

Tig
May 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hi Tig, yes. Hope I've been some help with the sound...it was a long time ago, but I still remember most of my studio recordings.
rob

Welcome to The Fret, Rob!
I'm sure you're busy at times, but be sure to drop in and visit when you can. This is a great community full of wonderful, respectful musicians, which is sadly uncommon on the web sometimes.
Feel free to share any stories, gear info, or anything you want. Someone with your experience and genuine talent can't go wrong!

SuperSwede
May 9th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Hey Rob, love your PodXT patches. I had lots of fun with those when I still had my XT!

fuddmusic
May 9th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Seriously, is that you?

M

Hello M29,
yes, but if you want, go to my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/robtog or website, http://www.robtognoni.com send an email and I will confirm it.
kind regards
rob

fuddmusic
May 9th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Hey Rob, love your PodXT patches. I had lots of fun with those when I still had my XT!

Thank You SuperSwede! I had a lot of fun making them...it was a few years ago now. I still have my POdxt and still love it. It's such a great tool!
rob

fuddmusic
May 9th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Rob!
I'm sure you're busy at times, but be sure to drop in and visit when you can. This is a great community full of wonderful, respectful musicians, which is sadly uncommon on the web sometimes.
Feel free to share any stories, gear info, or anything you want. Someone with your experience and genuine talent can't go wrong!

Thanks Tig, you are a gemtleman! :-) I will drop in and vist when I can, I like nice people!
:-)
kind regards
rob

fuddmusic
May 9th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Smells like an endorsement deal. :crazyguy

Behringer? yes, and unashamedly so.
rob

Tig
May 9th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Thanks Tig, you are a gemtleman! :-) I will drop in and vist when I can, I like nice people!
:-)
kind regards
rob

Rob, feel free to formally introduce yourself in the "Fret Players" section
http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13 :agree

Also, be sure to let us know when you have any tour updates. There are players located all over who would really enjoy catching one of your shows. Most of us are US and Canada based.

M29
May 9th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Wow that is cool Rob!! Your work has been very inspirational and enjoyable.

Now I need to find some Japanese re-issue '62 Strat stock pickups...:thwap I love that rhythm tone.

fuddmusic
May 9th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Wow that is cool Rob!! Your work has been very inspirational and enjoyable.

Now I need to find some Japanese re-issue '62 Strat stock pickups...:thwap I love that rhythm tone.

No problem, and thank you.
I guess any low to medium output strat type single coil described as "glassy" would do the trick. I don't think it's just specific to this reissue Japanese strat.
rob

sunvalleylaw
May 9th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Welcome Rob! Nice to have you join us!

Brian Krashpad
May 10th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Well I'll be! We got ourselves a Tasmanian Devil!

Welcome Rob!

Or should I say g'day?

:dude