PDA

View Full Version : HNAD! Roland Cube 30X

Heywood Jablomie
May 5th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Ordered it Monday from zZounds and got it today. How's that for service?

I just finished playing with it for a couple of hours, and I'm as impressed as I thought/hoped I would be. The clean channel is very neutral/uncolored and will be very useful for rhythm parts. The range of sounds of the models is simply astounding, each being unique and delivering a sound all its own. I particularly like the Black Panel, Brit Combo and Tweed models, not being a metal guy. Each one seems quite faithful to the amp it's supposed to emulate. The Black Panel is crisp an treble-y like a Fender. The Brit Combo has the familiar Beatles-esque sound. The Tweed sounds like an overdriven Fender, which I think it's supposed to sound like. The Acoustic model is useless. The reverb is quite good; better than most I've heard on SS amps. The other effects sound good and are interesting, especially the chorus - not sure where I'll use them yet. The built-in tuner is convenient. I don't think the Power Squeezer (like an attenuator) will be of much use, though. Lots of bells and whistles to mess with, so it'll be fun finding the sounds I like. And now that I have a decent amp, I can really appreciate the Mean 90s - the Hartke did them no justice.

I won't make any comparisons with tube amps, but I'm finding the tone very satisfying. And I love the size and weight of this little thing. If you ever have a chance to check one out, I think you'd be favorably impressed.

All in all, I'm really happy with it. And for $225, I can't complain.

sunvalleylaw
May 5th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Congrats! Glad you like it.

oldguy
May 6th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Heywood, cool, nice amph for a nice price!

FrankenFretter
May 6th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I've been thinking about getting a cube for some time now. I need something portable to bring to lessons, and my Marshall weighs a ton. I've played through my brother's Cube 30, and I think it sounds bigger than it should (in a good way). The emulations are nice, and it sounds much better than the Vox AD30VT that I used to own. Does yours have a speaker out? I know some of them do, and that would be a nice bonus.

Heywood Jablomie
May 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Frank:

No speaker out; just a record/headphone output jack. Yes it does sound bigger than it is, and it is rather tiny. Being so small and only 20 pounds, it will travel well for your lessons.