PDA

View Full Version : Zoom recorder and a couple olds tunes

M29
May 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I bought a Zoom H4n hand-held recorder this week and did a quick test with it. I know nothing about it yet and it sounds like it too...:thwap Here are a few bars of a couple old tunes on the acoustic.

http://www.box.net/shared/njbdzmoi52

http://www.box.net/shared/xbvr16dea6

Tig
May 6th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Wow, that sounds better than I expected. It might need a little minor EQ tweaking to get the exact sound of your guitar in person, but maybe it is already fairly close.
I wouldn't mind using one myself.

M29
May 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks Tig. I set the recorder on the floor about three feet in front of me. The room is my small computer room about 8x8. The room is semi live with hard walls and ceiling and a carpeted floor. To me it sounds a bit bassy, that could be EQed out.
I run it into Garage Band to edit out all the bad takes, yes there were a few...I was tempted to add some echo but I left it raw to see how it would sound.

Tig
May 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM
To me it sounds a bit bassy, that could be EQed out.

I was thinking it was missing some of the bright bite of an accoustic, which is something I love to hear. The Bonamassa Royal Albert Hall accoustic solo is a good example to aim for (the guitar sound, not the playing... we gotta be realistic here!).

I'm sure we have a few people here that can help with the recording technique.

M29
May 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM
This is a somewhat mello sounding acoustic and a bit bassy. I wish it had more chime and sparkle. It was cheap though and in need of repair when I got it. It is a Washburn D10SCEB. One in good shape sounds very good!

tjcurtin1
May 6th, 2010, 08:06 PM
If you have a mic stand or even just a small camera tripod, you can set it up 8-10 inches from the soundhole and get a really intimate close up sound.

Jimi75
May 7th, 2010, 03:12 AM
COOL! That sounded great. :applause

We also made some recordings with a micro stand and the results were awesome.

M29
May 7th, 2010, 03:23 PM
tj, I think that is what I will try next. Thanks

Thanks Jimi. I think I am going to like this little bugger.

M