PDA

View Full Version : Video Chambered vs. Unchambered

Jimi75
May 7th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Hey folks, a friend called me and said he fell in love with a Standard Goldtop 2009. He loved the light weight and felt the Traditional was too heavy for him. You might have read my review on the Axcess, also chambered and what was my impression of the chambered sound.

I have made up my mind how to set an equal condition to present the differences. Most of the youtube videos you can bump. It takes a great player who makes the character of an instrument come out, but who sound equally good on every instrument (just like Roberto R.) :cool:

My pikc was Gregor Hilden (gregsguitars). One of the top notch players in Germany and a super cool and friendly guy. I visited him last year to check a 74 Strat and it was a great experience, but this is another thread in the near future...

Here's Greg on an 89 Std. Les Paul non chambered:
eeg5SyDcCOo&feature=player_embedded

Here's Greg on a 2009 Std. chambered
L5gCicmH4do&feature=player_embedded

What's your impression? I can only repeat my impression I had with the Axcess. To me the chambered still sounds great but has an airy touch like an ES 335. I prefer the unchambered slightly, but I know what it means to carry 9.5lbs for a whole gig...

Eric
May 7th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Provided everything else is equal (EQ, drive, etc.), the chambered sounds a little lighter, less fat, etc. I think your description of 'airy' is pretty accurate.

I think I prefer the non-chambered just a little bit, but they both sound good. I guess it's a matter of what your bent is with tone.

ZMAN
May 7th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I have a similar situation. I have a 96 Standard with the unchambered body.
In around 9.5lbs. It is absolutley stock with the 490/498 pickup set.
I also have a Goldtop Classic chambered body at about 7.5 lbs with BB1,BB2s.
I really love the tone from the 96, it is almost "Buttery", but can get some raunchy treble tones as well.
The GT has a crisper, cleaner tone but can be dialed in for more mellow tones without sounding "muddy".
As Jimi said, you can really feel the difference after a playing session. I don't gig but I will usually play for an hour or so at a time standing up.
With the lighter chambered body I feel no fatigue.
I am really amazed at how good those stock pickups in the Standard sound.
So I am sure it is the heavier body that contributes to it. I had a 2008 Studio with the same pickups, in a chambered body and it sounded much crisper, but in a good way.
I do give the Standard a slight edge in tone but the weight issue "sinks" it.
Overall the chambered Les Pauls fill all of the boxes on my PERT chart so they are the winners.

Spudman
May 7th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I prefer the unchambered slightly, but I know what it means to carry 9.5lbs for a whole gig...

Ya, a 3 inch strap.:)

I liked the chambered too. The thing that has always confused me about Gibsons LPs is the models. Which are chambered. And what is the difference between a Standard, Deluxe, Custom etc?

ZMAN
May 7th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I am not sue when the chambered body came into effect but they tried a weight relieved body that had holes drilled in it. when that wasn't enough they went to the chambered body. After a lot of people complained about the chambering (ie: new) they went back to a traditional weight relieved body.
So now it is basically chambered unless otherwise specified. You have to read the find print to see what the guitar is. Personally I would not be the least bit worried about chambered. They are still amazing guitars.
IF you have any reservations think about a 70s ES335. They do last.

marnold
May 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I like the sound of them both, but the non-chambered one sounds more like what I consider to be the classic Les Paul tone. I'd probably have a hard time telling the difference between the chambered one and a Superstrat with similar pickups.

Do the chambered ones have any of the feedback issues that trouble semi-hollow bodies?

jpfeifer
June 20th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I love these videos. I've seen this same guy on youtube before. He has an amazing collection of top notch guitars and he plays extremely well (I really like his style).

I've always like more of the chambered sound, being a big fan of 335's etc. I just like the way that a chambered guitar responds to the pick attack, and has a different tone when you bear down on the pick as compared to playing with a softer touch. These videos show that although I don't notice it so much on the chambered Les Paul as compared to a Les Paul versus a 335.

I played an ES-359 this weekend at Guitar Center that really had that tone, ... I had to pry my hands off of it and give it back to the store when I left.

--Jim

ZMAN
June 21st, 2010, 08:04 AM
What you have to take into consideration in those videos is that even though the guitars look the same they wiould have different pickups. The 89 standard would probably have had the 490/498 combo, and the newer chambered body Standard a set of BB. I have an ES335, LP Standard non chambered, and an LP Classic chambered, currently and also owned a 2008 Studio with the Chambered body and 490 set. I installed a set of BB1 and BB2s in my Classic. I have a 1990 ES335 with a set of PAFs.
There is a big difference in the output of the 498 compared to the BB, or 57s The 498s are in the 12 to 14 range and the BB2 or 57 Classic plus, or Pafs in the 7 to 9 range.
Don't get me wrong I really like the tone from the 490/498s. I had them in chambered and non chambered Gibson LPs and found the regular standard was more mellow, and the Studio was "brighter" but both have excellent tone.
As compared to a 335 with the PAFs in it, the 335 was somewhere in between.
My Classic with the BBs is an excellent sounding guitar and of course the RS vintage kit makes it a tone monster.
Oh and weight wise the chambered bodies are way more comfortable. The Standard is about 10 lbs and the 335 is pretty heavy as well. I could play the Studio and Classic for hours, but the 335, and Standard for about half that time.
I guess what I found is that when you compare the two, chambered vs non chambered you have to take into consideration the pickup set and electronics. Also set up is critical. My ES335 was a total dog tonally because the intonation was all off. I had a pro set up done and it opened up the guitar. I for one am a big fan of the chambered guitars, and would not hesitate to buy another one.