PDA

View Full Version : Xbox360:Borderlands

deeaa
May 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Bought this game a week back, since I thought it'd be somewhat similar to Fallout 3, my absolute fave on Xbox, or maybe Half-Life, which was very good also.

Well, turns out it was closer to Half-Life...but a curious kind of allure to it.

At first I was very disappointed with the game. It's basically a very straightforward go-after-a-mission and kill a zillion dog-like beasts and occasional bandits. Basically open environment, but still mostly you go after things as per missions guide.

So, after maybe 3-4 hours I was totally bored with the game. Same-o-same o. If I hadn't been with a flu and with plenty of time to kill, I would have probably quit playing it...but I kept at it since I had nothing else to do.

And...well, it gets a bit more interesting: you get a car, then enemies that are more interesting, and you find you're starting to select the missions you do and the order too. Maybe find one too hard, get back to it later.

Still, pretty straightforward slaughtering...but I was liking it suddenly. And why?

The thing it hooks you with is hoarding instinct. You constantly come accross harder and harder enemies, so you need better and better guns. So you scavenge for them and buy them, trade them...BUT you can only carry a very limited number of them and ammo too. And at some point I realized I was spending a lot of time when I found, say, a new sniper, just in pondering whether it was better to stick with my current 256 firepower plain rifle OR swap to one with only 190 firepower BUT 30% faster reload AND corrosive ammo...it's HOARDING. You get hooked with it, always on the lookout for something better, then ammo extensions for them, and also accumulating your experience points, because then you get these abilities which you can grow in three different 'trees' to become a sniper, or gunslinger, or whatever...

SO...I dunno. I kinda hate it because it lures me with such a trick...why do I fall for the allure of some digital possessions, just to get ready to beat that next boss, find a shield that both regenerates AND has large capacity...

Well, stay away from it if you will...I suspect I'll play it not only thru but also loot for stuff even after, and also get the extension packs...I can only imagine how interesting it could be doing it all online if I had some buddies who also played it...luckily I don't. It could get VERY addictive...