PDA

View Full Version : SRV all-star tribute

mainestratman
May 9th, 2010, 05:23 AM
You guys have probably heard or seen this, but if you haven't, take a look:

Towards the end, they each take a turn with a "last lick".. gives you an idea of everyone's respective sound..

zRa9HUe1-pM

sunvalleylaw
May 9th, 2010, 07:41 AM
That is a good one. I think it has been posted before, but is always fun to watch. I think one time we had people here trying to identify who was playing by sound only (eyes closed). I love seeing everyone jam, and especially enjoy seeing Bonnie mix it up with the big boys.

mainestratman
May 9th, 2010, 07:43 AM
SVL.. Bonnie is one of the big boys... LOL

Jimi75
May 9th, 2010, 07:51 AM

By the way, the Bonnie Raitt signature Strat was a tremendously great instrument, but yeah Fender stopped building it...

Cool video. Had the DVD.

ZMAN
May 9th, 2010, 08:49 AM
This is the finale from the DVD A tribute to SRV.
It was cut in Austin Texas On May 11, 1995. 15 years ago Wow.

sunvalleylaw
May 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM

Touche'! My wife and I have seen Bonnie many times. A couple times at smaller outdoor shows here in SV, that were just amazing. One time Carole King came out and did a few songs with her, and with Keb Mo who opened for Bonnie. He put on a great show too.

tjcurtin1
May 9th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Big Strato-fest (with the exception of BB)! Was that Jimmy Vaughn out front?

duhvoodooman
May 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Was that Jimmy Vaughn out front?
Absolutely! :dude

Jipes
May 10th, 2010, 02:35 AM
The entire DVD is great and many versions of SRV songs by the different guest are wonderful but my favorites are Cold Shot by Dr John and Pride and Joy by Bonnie Raitt.

Jimmie is one of my favorites guitar player underrated but for sure very talented, he knows how to set up a solid groove behind a singer and his blues chops are really among the best imho

Eric
May 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Big Strato-fest (with the exception of BB)!
No kidding.

No offense to strat lovers out there, but this video is a good example of why I'm not in love with strats. They sound kind of tinny and weak to me most of the time, and it was just one little chirpy tone right after the other in this video.

Not having a lot of in-depth knowledge of various blues players' styles, I walked away from this video most impressed with BB King by far, both in terms of note selection and tone.

tjcurtin1
May 10th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I kind of agree with Eric - while I love that syrupy swampy strat tone - ala SRV - I don't like that sharp biting treble sound that some players favor. My wife has a CD featuring Robert Cray, Albert Collins and Johnny Copeland that I can't bear to listen to because that's the only tone featured, times 3!

mainestratman
May 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Wasn't Collins known as the "Master of the Telecaster"?

tjcurtin1
May 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Wasn't Collins known as the "Master of the Telecaster"?
Yes, and he is playing a tele on this CD - and Copeland is playing something (single coils) I can't identify - but they all have that same very trebly tone, which was what I was getting at - I should have been clearer...

mainestratman
May 10th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Oh.. you were plenty clear, I promise. :-)

One of the songs we're covering is an Albert Collins tune... of course, I'm using my LP, but I wind the bridge pickup tone to 10. It's almost painful.. I might take it the other way.. :-)

tjcurtin1
May 12th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hmmm... I took a closer look at the tiny photos on that cd, and it looks as if Copeland is playing a humbucker guitar (stratish shape), and Collins a tele with a humbucker at the neck. So, two out of three are playing humbucker equipped guitars (of course, Collins might well be playing a single coil bridge pup), but it makes it clear that such bright (even strident) tones are not the exclusive territory of the Strat...

Jipes
May 13th, 2010, 04:56 AM
and it looks as if Copeland is playing a humbucker guitar (stratish shape),

He uses to play a Peavey P-90 guitar

In search of a distinctive sound, Copeland swapped his Stratocaster for a Peavey P-90, which he described as "a good guitar. It's got good wood, it's solid and durable, and it's cheap!" (As Copeland became more successful, Peavey presented him with a white T-60 and a Heritage amp.)

duhvoodooman
May 13th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I don't like that sharp biting treble sound that some players favor.
Quick, get the antidote! Pull out one of Joe Bonamassa's recent CD's for that warm, thick LP tone....