PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a Hagstrom Viking

Robert
May 10th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Yessir! I did! :applause

Could not help myself, because a huge sale came along... temptation wins this time. :)

The guitar will be here in a weeks, I reckon.

I got the sunburst colour! Should be nice and retroish looking.

Like this.

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/images/VI_TSB.jpg

Katastrophe
May 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Wow, Robert, congrats!

With the new Hag, you'll have just about all the sonic bases covered.

MAXIFUNK
May 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Now That I like!!! :applause

M29
May 10th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I like that body shape. Similar to the 335 but with a nice twist. Very nice indeed Robert. Now start warming up them veins for when she arrives.

sunvalleylaw
May 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Cool boss! I know I like mine. Other than a few sharpish fret ends on mine, it is a stunning guitar. I love that sunburst. It was my first choice in color, though I now love my red one. It will be fun to see what you can do with one of those babies. It is amazing what I see people do with a semi hollow, though I tend to use only a small portion of the palette available.

Tig
May 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I love those Vikings. You are creating severe GAS, and it hasn't even arrived!

Robert, after you get tired of training your Viking to play really well,
you can send it my way for it's retirement of leisure and not so well playing.

Blaze
May 10th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Well,these getting old guys marathons are good paying..

First a Class 5 and now this gorgeous Sweedie ,cool purchases Rob ..

Congrats..

Spudman
May 10th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Rob's got some girls working on the side. That's how he can afford the gear. Most successful runners have a harem they pimp out. :cool:

Good thing you have one coming Roberto...because you really need another guitar. :rollover That one looks really nice.

Robert
May 10th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks! Yeah, the running bucks are spent on guitar gear of course!

Spud, don't let my secrets out... ;)

M29
May 10th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Girls what girls...

Jimi75
May 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks! Yeah, the running bucks are spent on guitar gear of course!

Spud, don't let my secrets out... ;)

....just wanted to ask how the hell you are able to......but now I know :crazyguy

Congrats on the new acquisition Rob. I have played this and the slighlty cheaper 6 in a row headstock version. Both guitars are pretty big and cool, although it would take some time for me to get used to the rather unusual neck measurement, it feels totally straight in a way.

Tig
May 10th, 2010, 03:19 PM
[quote=Spudman]Rob's got some girls working on the side. That's how he can afford the gear. Most successful runners have a harem they pimp out. :cool:
[quote]

Yer killin' me here! :rollover A real LOL!

I know bike racin' doesn't come with harems unless you count poduim girls. I remember George Hincapie ended up marrying one from the Tour Day France.
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/roubaix06/hincapie_trek/IMG_9981.jpg

markb
May 10th, 2010, 04:41 PM
You need to play safe around podium girls, as Alberto Contador demonstrates below :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wb8bAl1P-N0/SvmCjbJkFkI/AAAAAAAALA8/aTtTQVRF4IA/s400/contador+helmet.jpg

tjcurtin1
May 10th, 2010, 05:08 PM
At last! A 335 style guitar - I can't WAIT To hear what you do with that beauty, Robert:dude !

Now, tell us about this great sale....?

Duffy
May 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
What is that material that the fretboards are made from?

Is it a type of partice board or resin impregnated mixture of something?

They make some awesome looking guitars, that's for sure.

This fretboard has me wondering exactly what its composition is and how it cranks out.

Feedback appreciated.

markb
May 10th, 2010, 05:32 PM
From Hagstrom:

The fretboard is made from Hagstrom’s own Resinator™ Wood, a composite wood that is homogeneous in nature and is more stable than any standard wood product. It is the perfect fingerboard material in that it eliminates wolf tones or hot spots, and it has an articulate sound like high quality Ebony, but without the problems associated with Ebony.

So it's anybody's guess just what it's made of. Martin are using a kind of Formica product for acoustics and there are all carbon fibre guitars out there (don't leave them in the sun ;)).

I have a Tune bass here with a phenolic resin fingerboard and I'd say the nearest equivalent timber in feel would be ebony. I wonder what Hagstrom's problems with ebony are apart from cost?

Duffy
May 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
You know how you see an old maple fretboard tele and the varnish is worn off and the wood between the frets looks really worn? These guitars have been played a lot. They look like they could be lightly sanded and revarnished to get a cool new look.

I wonder how these new composite fiberboard or manmade wood and resin fretboards will stand up to the test of time and what will be the form of the wear. The old tele's seem to just wear off the varnish and the bare wood turns dirty looking, strats as well. Looks like the wood integrity is still very good, with the grain smoothed over not disintegrated or broken down into fibers and worn off. I could be wrong.

Anyone have an old worn down neck on a maple boarded tele or strat? How is the wood holding up there where the varnish wore off and the wood looks dirty? Is the wood still solid and flat or is it disintegrated, with fibers having worn off and depressions found to be present in these heavily worn areas?

I'm thinking that finger oils will have contributed to the wood where the varish has worn off, to make the wood feel smooth and not disintegrate into loose worn fibers. I doubt that worn indentations are present from extensive long term string bending. I am thinking that a polishing effect has taken place rather than a scraping away action.

Feedback would be appreciated.

The Hagstroms have a different type of board and I would also be interested to know how they wear after "long term" bending, over an obviously long period of time like the old tele's and strats. Or has Hagstrom been using this fretboard only of relatively recent vintage.

t_ross33
May 10th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Awesome, Robert. As you know, those Hags are pretty sweet guitars.

Here's a clip of a couple of Hags in action. The band is a local up and coming group, the lead guitarist/vocalist (center) is my sometime-guitar teacher. Great bunch of guys and a cool country-rock vibe. Enjoy...

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VSE-_fdZJ3w&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VSE-_fdZJ3w&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

sunvalleylaw
May 10th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I have had mine a while now and have play it regularly. I do not see any wear at all. This material has been a Hagstrom thing for a long time, AFIK. Though mine of course is of recent vintage. I do a full review with my opinions elsewhere on the forum. The neck has always felt great to me, though it is altogether a different animal from my 9.5 radius maple board strat. I have no trouble going back and forth between the two though. I think the Hag neck and board is awesome.

Tonz
May 11th, 2010, 05:57 AM
http://www.hagstromguitars.com/features.html

Tig
May 11th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Here's a clip of a couple of Hags in action. The band is a local up and coming group, the lead guitarist/vocalist (center) is my sometime-guitar teacher. Great bunch of guys and a cool country-rock vibe. Enjoy...
[/youtube]

While not the usual kind of music I listen to, that sounded really good. :dude
They have a great stage presence.