PDA

View Full Version : What to do with low volume output?

Tarin
May 10th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I' trying to fix a friends guitar... it's an 80's Yamaha SE-260 guitar, strat style with 2 humbuckers (coil split) and a Floyd Rose (Yamaha's version).

The problem with the guitar is that it has very low volume, you have to krank the amp quite high to hear a sound... and once yo get to hear it, the sound is awful, no distortion whatsoever even using a high gain Marshall setting on my pedal, just sound muddy and flat.

Since i got to mod my Parker P38 with much success (bypassed the pickups and the piezo system from the powerchip... it's now a passive guitar), i thought i could fix anything on a guitar.
I opened the backplate and noticed nothing wrong at first sight, except for a few wires wich were barely holding on by a thread. resolder them, cleaned the volume and tone pots, cleaned the input jack... put on a new set of strings (old ones were pure rust), adjusted the Floyd, plug it in... nada.

Same results... maybe just a little more volume but with the same muddy-low-volume tone.

Waddaya think? change the pots? pickups?... help?

markb
May 10th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Check the earth (ground) connection. You'll need a meter.

Tarin
May 10th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Mmmmm... a meter right?
Could it be any kind of voltage meter?
I ask cause i know the IT guy at the office has one with lots of knobs and settings.

markb
May 10th, 2010, 08:57 PM
A multimeter set for resistance is what you need. anything above 0 is bad. Test between all earth points on the back of the pots and the wire to the spring claw on the Floyd

Tarin
May 10th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Ok, i'll do that tomorrow and post the results.

Duffy
May 11th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Everybody needs to get a multimeter, in my opinion.

I got my first electronic multimeter back in 1971 when I bought a brand new Yamaha 360 Enduro, black with red pinstriping. Hot bike.

NONE of the TRAINED mechanics could figure out anything electrical or electronic. I had remembered my Dad saying that if "they" can do it, fix cars, I can do it; so I went out and got a multimeter.

Best tool I have ever purchased and has saved me more money than any other tool. Got a Chiltons and a Haynes manual and looked at the wiring diagrams and I was on my way. Fixed almost everything myself.

My nice multimeter recently malfunctioned and I replaced it with a cheap junker, better than none. I use it on all my guitar and amp projects, if just for safety reasons.

I need to upgrade this junk multimeter immediately.

My advice is to get one without delay and learn how to use it at your own pace. Very difficult to screw one up by using it, they are fused.

I check pickup resistance and compare it to the advertized ratings, such as in expensive Seymour Duncan pups. These have been very close to the advertized values. I do all sorts of guitar work with mine. Checking continuity to see if current is flowing "thru" items to the next item is very useful, as well as checking to see if grounds are functional.

More useful than a soldering iron actually, but very complimentary to one another.

If you don't have one, get one; seriously. Don't get just a test light. Get a real multimeter, the nicest one you can afford, within realistic parameters. You will be glad you did. They run off batteries.

Jimi75
May 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
If nothing helps....
http://truersourcesofsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/guitar-smashing1.jpg

otaypanky
May 11th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Pickup height adjustment?

Tarin
May 11th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Pickup height?
Nah, i don't think that's the case here... seems at a normal, standard height compared to my other guitars.

I couldn't get a hold of the IT guy today so, no multimeter untill tomorrow.