PDA

View Full Version : An offer you can't deny?

Jimi75
May 11th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Everybody of us has a dream instrument, something that seems too far away to reach sometimes. Attention, a dream instruement can have this great ideal value, doesn't mean that it has to be the best guitar or amph in the world.

That offer would be, exchange all of your guitars against this one instrument, assumed that you have some regular nice instruments in your collection, lets say PRS, Fender, Gibson, Suhr etc.

I was made this offer last year by one of the serious and good dealers in the north of Germany. He had a 1966 Fender Stratocaster, sunburst, all original, some minor dings. I played that guitar and it was great, felt awesome, but I have to admit it wasn't the best guitar I have ever played, but the Mojo was unbeatable - think Jimi...

He asked about my collection and he said here's the deal I can offer you, bring me all these guitars (in sum 5 guitars) pay cash 2000 instead of 9800 Euros and you can walk out the shop with the 66.

I had spent some sleepless nights over that decision, but finally decided to stay with the variety. I mean, a real 66, hell, what a great guitar, but this would have meant no Goldie, no backup, at least for a long time...

How about you? Would you do the deal? Would that be an offer you can't deny?

That's the baby:
http://www.wutzdog-guitars.de/uploads/pics/1966_Fender_Stratocaster_Case.jpg

Robert
May 11th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I would have done the same as you did.

Eric
May 11th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I don't have much to trade in the way of street value, but I think I would keep what I have. I know it works, and I'm not much for guitar mojo anyway. I suppose that means this question doesn't really apply to me, but I figure all guitars that you still have are there for a reason. It's a big deal to just turn them all in.

Dauntless
May 11th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I enjoy what I have or I wouldn't have it! :drool

Tig
May 11th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I think you did the best thing.
I'm sure it was tempting, but no matter how good the dealer is, he's gotta make a profit, and it will always be at your expense. Some dealers are more honest than others. The others are what we call "horse traders" in the South.

DrumBob
May 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
If someone offered me a really great '59 Flametop Les Paul Standard for all my guitars, I'd first have it inspected to make sure it wasn't a fake, then, I'd call the psych ward to report him.

Tig
May 11th, 2010, 11:38 AM
...then, I'd call the psych ward to report him.

Before or after the trade? :poke :D

Funny, but I was thinking '59 Les Paul when reading the OP.

sunvalleylaw
May 11th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I am supporting your choice. The variety is more important than the authentic vintageness. (is that a word?).

Eric
May 11th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I am supporting your choice. The variety is more important than the authentic vintageness. (is that a word?).
Of course not -- everybody knows it's "vintagocity."

Brian Krashpad
May 11th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I'm not a Strat guy, so no.

MAXIFUNK
May 11th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I would have kept all my gear as well. I'm not into its old so its cool type of a thing. Unless someone gave/sold me something they cherished but to go out and buy an old axe just because its old is not my thing at all.

Hell for 9800 Euros = 12,445.02 U.S. dollars

I could buy all new both LP's I want & Es-339, T3 & one of each American Deluxe Strat & tele & USA production Charvel with money left over.

Now that would be a collection. LOL!!

Tone2TheBone
May 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
If it was a Fiesta Red '64 I would have done it. ;)

Tibernius
May 11th, 2010, 04:21 PM
1: I'm lucky in that my dream guitar was a white Schecter Tempest, which I managed to find. Not that expensive either, and I didn't have to sell anything for it. (Then again, it's my first pro-level guitar)

2: I'm one of those people who doesn't care how old a guitar is. Sure it adds to the rarity of it, but if you've got a '66 Strat in good condition that costs that much and is pretty much irreplaceable, you're going to be scared of dropping/scratching it, wearing the electronics out, etc. and you'll end up not using it. Either that or you'll wear it out to the point where it'll need that many new parts it won't be a '66 Strat anymore.

3: For ~€10k I could have 5 custom made Dæmoness (http://www.daemonessguitars.co.uk/gallery.php) guitars (or a similar amount from another maker). I could have someone make a guitar that looks, sounds and plays like a '66 Strat, or better yet incorporates any changes to the design I wanted.

So...no. I wouldn't. Sell all of my cheap/beater guitars for a Dæmoness? Possibly. Sell a load of Gibsons/Fenders/ESPs/Schecters etc. for one? No.

ZMAN
May 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I did the same thing with a Muscle car. My dream car was a 69 Camaro Z/28 with low miles and all original. A frriend of mine found one and I bought it. It took just about all of my disposable income at the time and another 69 Z/28 in trade. What I found was that it was something you put in a trophy case.
You can't drive it (play it) for fear you hurt it, or put miles on it.
No, vintage Cars/guitars are for those guys with unlimited funds. We can all have a collection within our budget. To give up everything for one guitar is silly. What you will find is that the "vintage" item does not play well, or usually look good. They are just that, Relics. I have a 1968 original SG and it is very nice but almost crude in it's woodwork and electronics. I love it but I have many guitars that play an look 100 times better, but it is an orginal 1968 SG.

kiteman
May 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
For that kind of money I will keep Carvin very busy. :D

marnold
May 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM
He had a 1966 Fender Stratocaster, sunburst, all original, some minor dings. I played that guitar and it was great, felt awesome, but I have to admit it wasn't the best guitar I have ever played, but the Mojo was unbeatable - think Jimi...
I think this comment sums it up. Mojo is great and all, but even you had to say it wasn't the best you'd ever played. The cost is very high and then you'd be left with one guitar that you'd be very paranoid about. If money was no object that might be one thing.

Of course, I also have no burning desire for a '66 Strat, so it's very easy for me to be dispassionate.