PDA

View Full Version : What to buy??????

Ger the man
May 13th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Right, I want a LP but am happy to remain a bedroom guitar player (for now anyway). Should I go with an Epi or is worth while going for a Gibson?

Thanks

Katastrophe
May 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM
If you have the opportunity, I would play both and see which one you like.

The Gibby Studio in worn/faded finishes (brown and cherry) are comparable in price to the upper price Epis.

Of course, with the Epi, you'll get more bling than on a faded Gibby studio. So, it all depends on what you want to spend, and what features you want on the guitar.

Good luck on the search, and post as to how it's going!

Heywood Jablomie
May 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Also remember, while not sporting a "Les Paul" sticker on the headstock, there are many nice LP-style guitars from other manufacturers.

Ger the man
May 13th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I just saw a brand called Heritage that make v tasty copies? Are they expensive / any good?

duhvoodooman
May 13th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Consider the higher end Agile AL models (3000's and 3100's especially). Really. My ebony AL-3000 is just an incredible value.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss13.html

I just saw a brand called Heritage that make v tasty copies? Are they expensive / any good?
The Heritage LP's are arguably just as "genuine" Les Pauls as the Gibsons. My understanding is that they are produced in the former Gibson Kalamazoo plant by highly skilled people, many of whom are former Gibson managers and employees. Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Guitars

They have an excellent reputation for quality, and are generally considered on a par with the Gibson instruments. Not cheap, though. Not sure if they're directly comparable in price to the Gibbies, but pretty close, I think.

Heywood Jablomie
May 13th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Yes and yes. Of course, expensive is a subjective term.

Robert
May 13th, 2010, 10:39 AM
The answer, my friend, is a Hagstrom Swede. :AOK

Ger the man
May 13th, 2010, 10:44 AM
The answer, my friend, is a Hagstrom Swede. :AOK

How much? I quite fancy dusenberg too! Decisions..Decisions....:help

Robert
May 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
$665 USD (http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-2274513-10381297?url=http%3A%2F%2Fguitars.musiciansfriend. com%2Fproduct%2FHagstrom-Swede-Electric-Guitar%3Fsku%3D513340&cjsku=513340.002) it looks like. Great guitar! Check my video demo.

mtQpXvGS6PY

Eric
May 13th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I haven't played all of these, but here's what the internet will tell you about these guitars:

Epiphone: A decent guitar that does a decent job of making an LP. Pretty reasonable cost too. Fairly recognizable.
Agile: Great value. Excellent quality, and amazingly well made for sub-$400. Nicer than Epiphone, but with little-to-no name recognition by the general public.
Gibson: The original with the name and the headstock. Provided you find the right one, a very nice instrument. Probably the best resale value of the bunch.
Heritage: Those who know them would probably say they're better than Gibsons (from what I hear). Made by former Gibson employees, they're super-high quality, but not exactly cheap.

Also (for Robert's sake)...
Hagstrom: A good instrument with a plastic resin for the fretboard material. Somewhere in between the first two and last two cost-wise. Nicely appointed SFAIK.

Heywood Jablomie
May 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Doesn't IKEA sell Hagstrom?

Ger the man
May 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
We actually have 2 Hagstrom dealers in Ireland!:happy

ZMAN
May 13th, 2010, 05:33 PM
My advice to you after owning both low end, high end Epie and Gibson Les pauls from Studio to Classic to Standard, I would first say what is your budget? If you can afford 2000 for a Gibson go for it, If your budget os 400 look at Epi or Agile . If you are more comfortable in the 1000 range I would get a used Studio. The used maket is where I would go at any rate. No reason to pay the high dollar rate for a new guitar. There are thousands out there at every level.
But.... don't settle for anything less than what you would be comfortable with.
You will always be second guessing yourself.

oldguy
May 14th, 2010, 04:22 AM
All of the guitars mentioned are generally good quality instruments. I've tried playing the Epi's and Gibson's side by side, but at the mega-stores they are usually so poorly set up it's difficult to evaluate them on their own merit.
If you buy from a local dealer, and buy new, you should have the benefit of a warranty. I own an Agile, great guitar, as good as the Gibson Les Paul Custom I used to own. But to be honest, if there were a Hagstom dealer nearby selling new Swedes w/ warranty I'd buy one. They are stylish, well made, and use good components.
A guitar that fits you and feels good in your hands is what you want.
About 99% of what you wring out of it is in your hands and fingers.

hubberjub
May 14th, 2010, 07:12 AM
As the resident Heritage aficionado I must give them my endorsement. However, they might not be the right guitar for you. If you are looking for something more affordable, I'd keep an eye out for a used Elite (or Elitist) Epiphone. In my opinion, the fit and finish is better than the low end Gibson (faded series) and the standard Epiphone series.

Commodore 64
May 14th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Don't forget Michael Kellys. You never know when one might pop up on CL for 150-$200.

gregsguitars
May 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Play everything within your price range, play with your fingers and ears and NOT your eyes and you will be satisfied.