PDA

View Full Version : Gig tonight

Spudman
May 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM
A new "wine and delicacies" joint just opened up in town and 2 months ago they called me and asked if we would come play there. I said to pencil us in but it didn't sound like our type of place. I said I'd get back to them if I was going to take the gig. They called yesterday to check up that we were coming because they had been advertising us for 2 weeks.

Uh oh! :thwap My drummer is in finals this week and he wanted the weekend off anyway so I never confirmed the booking. Now that they called and were really excited to have us I managed to muster the guys to come do it. Which was tough too because the bass player lives an hour away and has an administrative job at a hospital until after 5 pm. The start time was scheduled for 5 pm. They venue said that a later start time was acceptable. They also said they didn't mind if we were a bit loud. So I accepted.

Today I actually step inside the place for the first time to set up and it's like a friggin delicatessen. Why did I know this was going to be the way it was? Probably experience. Needless to say it's going to be a bit of challenge for us because we are NOT a quiet band and a challenge for the venue as well. I'm still going to mic the amps and the kick and snare.:french

Moral of the story - trust your gut, follow up and confirm well ahead of time.
At least we'll get free beer....I hope.:whatever:

duhvoodooman
May 14th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Aw, kwitchyerbellyakin! You're the one who wanted to be a rock star! :poke ;)

Best of luck--you guys'll do great!

Robert
May 14th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hope you get some free wine at least!

sumitomo
May 14th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Spudman would you like some cheese to go with your wine?LOL! Have fun! Sumi:D

M29
May 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Sounds like you had it pegged tater, lean on that experience there ain't nuttin like it...:dude

Spudman
May 14th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Spudman would you like some cheese to go with your wine?LOL! Have fun! Sumi:D

The cheese and wine are gratuitous apparently. But I think I'll stick with beer. :AOK

Spudman
May 14th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Well, I stuck with beer but everyone else besides the band drank a lot of wine. A really lot of wine!

It wasn't a big crowd and nobody was dancing but folks were boogieing in their chairs so that was cool. And...it was the best looking audience I've ever played too. All women and all incredibly attractive. Only one other man in the whole place besides the band. So I have to say it was kind of cool. Certainly different than gigs I've done before. Needless to say I'm really looking forward to Saturday night. Apparently some corporation is bringing in a large party.

Tig
May 14th, 2010, 11:29 PM
You shoulda learned from Elwood.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2230/2102755187_8497c01790_o.jpg

Spudman
May 15th, 2010, 11:34 PM
All the recent talk of Robert's incoming Viking prompted me to take mine to the gig. The guys really liked the sound of it too. With a little distortion going into the amph the whole body of the guitar vibrates nicely against me when I hold a note or chord. That was kind of cool. I think I'll take it next weekend too and see if it can handle more volume. This gig was pretty quiet.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/IMGP4234.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Gigs/IMGP4235.jpg

Tig
May 15th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Well, how did the gig go?
Enjoy any wine? :poke

Spudman
May 16th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Well, how did the gig go?
Enjoy any wine? :poke

No wine for me...they had a ton of really good beer though. :dude Our drummer did partake of the wine throughout the night though.

There is a contraption on the opposite wall from me that houses around 20 bottles of wine and you can put money on something like a debt card and then insert it into this thing and tell it which and how much of the 20 wines you would like. It will then dispense into your glass exactly what you order. It allows sampling of wines before you buy. Kind of cool. It was the fist time I'd seen anything like that.

Katastrophe
May 16th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Any gig is a good gig... er sumthin' like that!

As an aside, that's the first time I've seen the Bugera in a way to be able to compare its size.

It's a bigger amph than I thought. How much does that sucker weigh?

Spudman
May 16th, 2010, 11:36 AM
It's a bigger amph than I thought. How much does that sucker weigh?

Pound wise I'm sure it's listed in the specs somewhere. Relative wise - it feels the same as my Hot Rod Deluxe.

R_of_G
May 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
From the pictures, it looks very much like a place we've been to several times here. However, I'd much rather hear Spud's band than any of the live acts we've been subjected to there, which have mostly been of the "solo singer with acoustic guitar doing terrible covers singing every song as if he were Dave Matthews" variety. I'd much rather hear Spud's band bring the noise. :)

Spudman
May 16th, 2010, 03:08 PM
From the pictures, it looks very much like a place we've been to several times here. However, I'd much rather hear Spud's band than any of the live acts we've been subjected to there, which have mostly been of the "solo singer with acoustic guitar doing terrible covers singing every song as if he were Dave Matthews" variety. I'd much rather hear Spud's band bring the noise. :)

That's what they've been getting in there too. Nobody I would go see either. I was surprised how much the owners liked us and yes we were somewhat loud as they say.:cool: