PDA

View Full Version : Bass rescue - how to make that fretboard shine again?

progrmr
May 14th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Unexpected NGD - BC Rich Warlock NJ series for $200 :) Not a bad deal, but the bass needs some minor work.

I'm cleaning the bass up and the fretboard is pretty dirty. I've been working on it with dry paper towels following up with some lemon oil. Most of the thick crap is off - but the fretboard is pretty dull.

This is an early 2000's model as far as I can tell so it might just be that way but if possible I'd like to make it nice and clean/shiny again.

How can I polish up the fretboard?

MichaelE
May 14th, 2010, 09:09 PM
After you have all of the crud off like you said, you can use a 1500 grit sandpaper to buff it up and then switch to 2000. This is very tedious, time consuming work and the sanding has to be done all the way up to each of the frets so there is no variation in finish when you have completed the task.

You won't likely need anything after you finish this lengthy chore, but you could use a dab of lemon oil to rub in if you like.

mrmudcat
May 14th, 2010, 09:21 PM
After sanding or just for cleaning ,I use gerlitz guitar honey. I dont endorse many products but this is good stuff and pretty reasonably priced:AOK

http://www.gerlitzusa.com/

M29
May 14th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I made up this tool for things like this. Helps get right up to the fret. Always sand with the grain though don't take the easy way out and go across, you will leave visible scratches.
The sand paper is the type that has adhesive on the backside. Most body shop supply houses carry this. Just cut to size, peal off the back and stick it on. When the paper gets clogged pull it off and stick another piece on. Pretty handy. It would be best to cover the frets, you might end up hitting them and all it takes is one swipe and you will have sand scratches in the fret.

http://webpages.charter.net/tankm4/washb4.jpg

mrmudcat
May 14th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Good posts here:applause

One more thing to note this cleaning is not for maple fretboards!!:thwap

progrmr
May 15th, 2010, 06:13 AM
thanks for the tips - I'll get that sand paper when I hit the store for some copper tape to shield the pickup and control cavities. Oh and it is a rosewood fretboard.

Once of the corners on the bottom was pretty severely chipped, can't do much about that. One of the previous owners also didn't realize that they make different strings for floyd rose temelos - removed the string lock inserts on the E/A strings so they could fit the brass end in the saddle! They figured out that they could cut off the brass end for the last 4 strings. New string lock inserts en route from stewmac. Tremelo was a mess too - gunk, dust and corrosion all over it. Took it off and sprayed with warm water for round 1 - going to spend some more time on it today but it already looks better.

So it's all minor stuff - I'm sure it'll be a great player once I finish it and now that it has a proper home, it will be taken care of as it should be lol!