PDA

View Full Version : Bought a crappy speaker...

deeaa
May 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM
At a whim, I bought me a Harley Benton 1x12" cab today for 40€.

I figure, I tend to have a speaker or two lying around and no cabs to throw 'em in to test, so why not...it's a nice size cab, looks are OK and while it's far from the toughest build, it's quite OK for normal use.

The speaker it came with, a 100W nameless one, quite a bad sounding speaker. It had a pretty thin sound and an annoying buzzy overtone, you know, sort of like when you play into a hi-fi speaker - no warmth at all. I scrapped it instantly and put in a little better one, a Jensen 70W speaker which is kinda dull sounding but not entirely useless.

With the Jensen, I guess it's quite OK now. I should probably try to put in a back panel for the cab, as it's open-back now, and see how that affects the sound.

With the AD30VT I mainly play now at home, the internal 10" Celestion sounds better than this new box. BUT I might replace the Jensen with something around 40W and maybe more like a greenback-style speaker, and I guess what I bought it for is I'd like to maybe sometime use it with my Ceriatone for an easy-to-haul cab instead of the 4x12"...IF I can find a suitable, good-sounding speaker for it that is.