PDA

View Full Version : STONE guitar soundclip up!

deeaa
May 16th, 2010, 10:21 AM
So here's the soundclip I promised to make with my stone guitar...

v<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_rC9f4g12fY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_rC9f4g12fY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

tjcurtin1
May 16th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Dee - c'mon, man, get it straight; it's a 'rock' guitar...:poke
(maybe your title was just a translation issue...)

Very interesting to hear that and to consider the resonance issues in comparison to wood, and how that affects the sound of an electric guitar. If it came from your stove, I imagine that it's soapstone; I suppose that even stone has some resonance, though, maybe more so with a soft dense stone like that?.

BTW, you did a darn good job with that build - it sounds great! And talk about unique!

Katastrophe
May 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Well, that was just plain awesome... a hand built rock guitar!

It's interesting to hear how bright it sounded. Great job, Dee!

deeaa
May 16th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Soapstone, yes...I find that the denser and heavier the body, the tighter the low end. Even the ad vox which is quite lacking in tightness of sound feels a lot tighter with this.

I don't really much believe in body resonance having a big effect on electric guitar sound at all, its more bout the solidity. too lax and soft wood or plywood etc. are bad, but most any solid material does quite well in bodies. Make a body out of car suspension parts or other iron pieces and even that works ok.

BUT Yeh, soapstone does make for a good heavy rock guitar...tight!

deeaa
May 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM
btw the settings used are exaactly the same on my previous ad30vt video, which I played with an extrmely lightweight guitar...so you can compare them directly.

deeaa
May 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
You know now that I've played it a little more, I'm quite tempted to build a v.2 of the guitar, but this time use a proper neck instead of home-made, and also make the neck smaller. Hm. I wish I wasn't broke because I just spotted a Steinberg-style tiny-bodied headless guitar on sale for a hundred, it would have made for an excellent candidate for a body swap - could have just made a new body copying the original...

guitarhack
May 17th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Ahem . . .rock on, brother! :dude

M29
May 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Awesome build and interesting sound Dee!!

sumitomo
May 17th, 2010, 08:22 AM
That was a Stoned Gas!Sumi:D:dude

Eric
May 17th, 2010, 09:43 AM
So here's the soundclip I promised to make with my stone guitar...
Interesting. I did compare the two clips and this guitar definitely seems darker and a little tighter with a low thud. Overall less thrashy but also much darker.

Thanks for the clip.

sunvalleylaw
May 17th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hey Deeaa, that is pretty darned cool! I did not know what I expected, but I think it sounds good! As long as the thing is comfortable, I would think there would be a primitive primal satisfaction coming from rocking out on something you carved out of a hunk of rock. Nice! I think you should to a v.2 that is easier to play.

sumitomo
May 18th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Now here's a song you need to learn to play on that guitar.1a3gHYiG6zgSumi:D:crazyguy

deeaa
May 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Heheh...yeah, I was thinking maybe some stoner rock would be appropriate. While stoned, of course, and rock very hard :-) and maybe some Rolling Stones covers too. And hardrock of course.