PDA

View Full Version : First gig with new band

Robert
May 17th, 2010, 10:26 AM
We played a short little gig last night with our new cover band. It was fun! It's a rock band, and it's fun to get back into this kind of music for me. I've played blues so many years (which I will always love of course) and I find using more gain and crunch tones for that "sustain for days" kind of sound in a live band is cool! It's like being 17 again... I was all into the NWOBHM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_of_British_Heavy_Metal) back then. :cool:

Last night we played tunes by Gary Moore, Led Zeppelin, Styx, INXS, Colin James, Thin Lizzy, etc.

The best thing of it all was that our 16 year old daughter showed up with her boyfriend, and they both came up afterwards and said "that was AWESOME". They are now contemplating getting a band started and I offered my "coaching services" to help them learn a few tunes. :AOK

mainestratman
May 17th, 2010, 11:08 AM
:beer:

Katastrophe
May 17th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with the blues, but sometimes you just gotta let that guitar do the ol' rock n' roll KERRRRRRRANG!

Congrats on the new band, Robert!

Brian Krashpad
May 17th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Bosstastic! Congrats. Especially cool to help out the kids too. Am floating the idea of playing bass in Crash Pad to my daughter.

Dunno if her mom would let her though.

duhvoodooman
May 17th, 2010, 02:34 PM
....and I find using more gain and crunch tones for that "sustain for days" kind of sound in a live band is cool!
Hmmm, you're definitely gonna need a Mega Muff for this stuff! ;)

Tig
May 17th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Sounds like you had a blast!
Speaking of "sounds", you do know you'll have to record a few club performance videos when you get a chance, right? :poke :cool:

Jimi75
May 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the club Rob! NWOBH was our secret power weapon when we were young, we only started forgetting about how good it felt to shred a solo and to rock out loud! Congratz! Enjoy your trip. :dude

sunvalleylaw
May 17th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Way to rock Robert! That is great news and I am glad you are having fun!

SuperSwede
May 18th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Cool! No visits from the cops?

Robert
May 18th, 2010, 07:41 AM
No cops, no. We played at a school, actually. It was fun, and my Line 6 Spider Valve MkII sounded very good for this. I used my Hagstrom Swede the whole time.

This was our first gig ever with this new group. Clips and videos will have to wait until we get practiced up better!

Spudman
May 18th, 2010, 09:19 AM
It's cool that you are getting to play more...and now you can have all the personnel drama too. :)

Eric
May 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Cool, Robert! Glad to hear your first gig went over well.

helliott
May 18th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Good luck in your new endeavour. Hopefully the personnel dramas leave you be for a good long while.

tremoloman
May 19th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hello Robert!

Way to go man! As Dee Snider says... "YOU CAN'T STOP ROCK & ROLL" :)

I've love to hear some clips if someone could tape some at your next gig. I've never heard Robert "rock out" :)

Be sure to do a Rush song and salute your local countrymen. I suggest "Working Man" - it ALWAYS went over big when I played it live.

Keep on rockin'

M29
May 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Congrats Robert and gang!!! Like Kat says "KERRRRRRRANG!" :rar