PDA

View Full Version : Tele neck pickup adjustment - no springs?

tjcurtin1
May 17th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Was trying to adjust the neck pup height in my Squier CV tele and it seems that upward push on the pup is provided by a piece of foam... that is not doing its job, so the pup wants to sink down into the body. Should there be springs on the screws? Can I find springs to fit - found a mounting kit that seems to use surgical tubing - how does that work?

Spudman
May 17th, 2010, 07:09 PM
You can use surgical tubing since many Strats do but in reverse. I don't see why it wouldn't work in your case.

The foam thing is supposed to give a better vibratory platform for the pickup...plus it's a cheap way to mount pickups. I'm not sure about the vibration thing but I know it's cheap. Supposedly the pickup height is programed at the correct height with the proper thickness of foam. The factory thinks this is the ideal height, but like you others don't.

You can pull some springs out of old ball point pens to make adjusting springs or find a bit of rubber tube. Whatever works for you.

tjcurtin1
May 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks, Spud - great idea about the pen springs! I was wondering if there was some particular reason that springs were not good to use, hence the foam...

red
May 18th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Springs are fine. If you're handy enough, an alternative solution is to drill a couple of holes in the pickguard and mount the pickup there, Stratocaster-style.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/pgazzara/NashvilleTele-V-1.jpg

Your call.