PDA

View Full Version : Epi Swingster, Just a 5120 clone?

macwell52
May 18th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I just got a new or nearly new Swingster in orange from a shop on eBay selling units stamper 2nd on the back of the peghead. Beautiful guitar. Plays prettywell, too. Has push pot tone controls to switch between series and parallel circuitry to produce a wide variety of tones. Comes equiped with Epis own SwingBuster pickups, which are nice but a bit on the bright side. Looks and priced like the Gretsch 5120. Unlike the Gretsch, the Swingster has a pinned roller bridge, which is a nice feature. No pick guard. The only problem to date is the action,which is set very low and string buzz fron the D and G strings. I thought I could correct by raising the bridge but it came fully extended.The stock bridge might not have the precise radius. Maybe why this is a second. Also the bridge is a bit unstable; the chrome assembly pulls or leans forward. I don't know if this is because it sits high on the threaded posts or it isn't anchored securely. This I am concerned with. I'm thinking about replacing the bridge with a Schaller which might have more stability and the correct14 inch radius.

I do like the feel of the neck, which is maple, shallow C and tappered. The vine inlay and pinstripe binding are beautiful. Could be a nice rockabilly guitar.

oldguy
May 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM
How much did you pay for it?

macwell52
May 19th, 2010, 04:08 AM
$700 including a HSC and shipping. I ordered one from a local shop in March but it kept getting delayed. I canceled the order in May and found it on eBay. The big online outlets all had them, which added to my frustration.

oldguy
May 19th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Sounds like the price was in the ballpark. Have you had a guitar tech look at it to tell if the problem is a setup adjustment?
Welcome to TheFret, btw. Introduce yourself when you have time.

macwell52
May 20th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I plan to get it to a guitar tech soon. The problem is that that the bridge, though pinned, leans forward with the tension of the strings. Additionally, the bridge has to be set as high as possible on the posts to limit string buzz. With the bridge all the up the threaded posts there is still some buzz and it leans forward. I also noticed the neck is as straight a neck as I have seen, no relief at all, which I think might be typical of Epi necks.Thanks for the welcome, Old guy. I'll do a proper introduction soon.

oldguy
May 20th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I plan to get it to a guitar tech soon. The problem is that that the bridge, though pinned, leans forward with the tension of the strings. Additionally, the bridge has to be set as high as possible on the posts to limit string buzz. With the bridge all the up the threaded posts there is still some buzz and it leans forward. I also noticed the neck is as straight a neck as I have seen, no relief at all, which I think might be typical of Epi necks.Thanks for the welcome, Old guy. I'll do a proper introduction soon.

It almost sounds as though the bridge itself was installed wrong. Can you post a picture of it?

The introduction would just be nice to let us know you better. Where you're from, the kind of music you like, your gear, etc. :AOK

macwell52
May 20th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I'm also an old guy. Playing since the late 60s. Got the Swingster to do old Beatles and rockabilly. Own a 1971 D 18 and a Les Paul Deluxe also from early-mid 70s. Bonnie Raitt sig. strat, Classic 50s in surf green, early 90s AVRI tele, 2001 Taylor 714 CE and 90s American Standard. Traynor 15 watt and a 1976 Twin Reverb. I wanted the Swingster for an authentic look and sound. I post some pics soon.

markb
May 20th, 2010, 07:32 PM
First off. Hi, Macwell52!

Inasmuch as any 17" hollow bodied guitar with a Bigsby and "somekindof-tron" looky likeys is a Gretsch copy then I suppose the Swingster is.
Your bridge is leaning because it's too high on the posts. If it can't be brought down I'd have the neck angle checked by a tech ASAP while you still have warranty and maybe the option to return the guitar.

Katastrophe
May 21st, 2010, 06:16 AM
I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that the Swingster is a Joe Pass Emporer with some twangy pickups and a wire handled Bigsby installed.

Yep, from the Epi site: http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=321&CollectionID=1

If you have the bridge set that high and are still getting a lot of buzz, there's a problem. I hope the tech can get it sorted out. If not, a return / replacement is in order!

macwell52
May 21st, 2010, 08:21 AM
I bought this from a shop in Fl that sells 2nds through eBay. No warranty, and I don't think I can return it at this point. I do like it and it is a real looker. It is the Joe Pass box and neck with Epis SwingBuster pups, which are very tron looking, and a Chet wire arm. I didn't mean to imply this is just a 5120 clone. The Swingster can stand on its own.

There is no relief in the neck. My worst concern is that the neck is set too high. My hope is that the by adding some relief to the neck, maybe replacing the nut and the bridge, which may not be an exact 14" radius will solve the problem. One of the reasons I went with Epi over Gretsch is the pinned bridge.

macwell52
June 14th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Still in the honeymoon period. I really like the 14 radius. I am used to the 7.25 - 9.5 on most Fenders. I find playing jazzy chords or finger picking ala Chet much easier with the flatter radius and shorter scale. The buzzing problem seems to change, maybe with the weather or humidity.

I attempted to tighten the jack which was loss and rattling, but I don't think there is a nut on the inside of the guitar. Further tightening pulls the jack throught the body without securing it. The spruce top is thick, soft and pithy, but looks great. Like Fernando says, its much better to look good than to feel good, darling.

progrmr
July 23rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
jeez - sounds like you've had a heck of a time with that guitar. I'll pass on 2nd's thanks :)

Commodore 64
July 24th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Is it not possible to add relief via truss rod adjustment?

macwell52
July 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah, Ebay dealers offer these at reduced price and claim there are no issues. I havn't played a 1st to compare but I'm done with 2nds. And relief can be adjusted at the truss rod. I really like the straight neck, but maybe a small amount of relief will reduce fret buzz. I really like the 14" radius, as well. Makes chording up the neck a breeze. Noticable better than a 12" radius on Gibbys and certain special Fenders. The pickups with the push/pull tone pots take a lot of experimentation to find the tones I want. But no complaints. The flame maple sides and backs are very nice. The spruce top looks good, too. But the spruce doesn't feel as dense or solid as on the top of a good acoustic. If you want an authentic looking and sounding rockabilly kit with a pinned roller bridge, assuming it does not have the same problem as mine, a 14" fret board and a very cool Chet style trem arm, this is your baby. I would gladly pay $100 more for better factory QC from epiphone.