PDA

View Full Version : Hey All

Hogfullofblues
October 7th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I stumbled onto Robert's Dolphin Street site which lead me here, and I think I struck gold. Yep, I'm just a fret buzzer with 6 months of self taught experience under my belt, so I doubt I will be able to offer much advice, but will try and contribute anything I can.
Me? I played in working bands in the 70's (but then who that is my age didn't?) but played keyboards then. Ahh, the low tech days of haulin around a few tons of Hammond B3s, Leslies and enough PA equipment to wake the dead. My back has never recovered. Had to give all that up though about the same time the long hair came off. But I always loved music, the blues, and guitar, which was always my favorite sound and instrument. So now I am twanging away for myself and lovin it. The wife and cat have a different opinion, but i guess the 100th time they had to listen to an unrecognizable version of Sweet Home Alabama is to blame.
Thanks in advance for all the help and info here, and sorry in advance for the "guitar for dummies" questions I'm sure to bore you all with.
Thanks, and be talkin with ya,
Hog

tot_Ou_tard
October 7th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Welcom Hog!!!

I've got maybe 3 mos of guitar playin' on ya.

I've got an amph, but I' still get no screamin' solos.

Iago
October 7th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Welcome Hog!!!

so, before somebody else asks... where are you from and what guitar are you playing?? :)

Hogfullofblues
October 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Hey again and thanks for the welcomes!

I'm from Michigan USA, near Detroit, but please don't hold that against me.
I have an Ibanez S520EX, a Vox 30 watt Valvetronic, one cord, one pick, and just got a guitar stand for my birthday so now the guitar has an "official" place in the household. I will be lookin for a single coil strat type as soon as possible, which is probably what I should have bought in the first place, but the Ibanez was a smokin good deal and I didn't know then what I think I know now. I just hope I get another guitar before the Ibanez needs new strings and I have to figure out that whole Floyd Rose thing!

Thanks for askin!
Hog

warren0728
October 7th, 2006, 12:54 PM
welcome hog...i think you will like it here....

ww

Robert
October 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Hey Hogster, big welcome to you! Since you're in Michigan, have you ever checked out Reverend gear? They are located in Warren. They've got some really cool guitars, and they used to make awesome amps and pedals too. I have a Reverend Hellhound, a very nice little amp.

Enjoy the Fret!

warren0728
October 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM
if they are located in warren i would be very wary of them!! :eek:

they do make some pretty cool looking guitars.....never played one though...

ww

Hogfullofblues
October 7th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Hi Robert and thanks for the welcome, your sites, and all you have already taught me without knowing it.

Sheesh, I'm only 5 minutes from Warren but never had a clue that was where Reverend was located. Just goes to show how much I have to learn. I have listened to every clip on Dolphin Street and your sounds and tones are all sweet, so I will be looking into them too!

Thanks again,
Hog

Spudman
October 7th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Welcome Hoggy. Enjoy the forum. No heavy lifting goes on around here so no worries. Glad to have another S series owner aboard.

Hey, hand me that piano.:eek: :)

Nelskie
October 7th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Played in a working band back in the 70's out Michigan way, eh? Let me guess - a lot of Mitch Ryder, Grand Funk, and maybe a little Amboy Dukes? We have all flavors of players here, my friend, so no need to be self-conscious. Welcome aboard.

Mark
October 7th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Welcome Hog!! Those B3's were great sounding but not very mobile. In Santa Barbara back in the 70's we played a club call Blackbeards. I happen to know every one of the steps to thier staircase intimately as we played there many times we actually made a litter type affair out of pipe so we could bolt it together under the B3 and have two handles coming straight off each end of the B3 to carry it around. Again welcome to the Fret!

Hogfullofblues
October 7th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Wow, you all are good! Yes, Nelskie, you hit the nail on the head and only overlooked the MC5. Good for one cover, like the Dukes, and hugely popular locally. In fact, our one (and only) gig of note was when we opened for Rusty Day (x of Cactus) fronting with the Detroit Wheels (x of Mitch Ryder).
Mark, we had the same setup for luggin the Hammond around. I remember copying the idea from from some other band we saw. Never came up with any gizmo for the Leslie, which was actually the worst piece of equipment to haul around thanks to its weight and stocky shape, especially up and down stairs. That beautiful wood finish just got demolished.

Thanks all for the kind words,
Hog

6STRINGS 9LIVES
October 7th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Welcome Hog , sympathize completely with your back , played with a bass player with a double ampeg svt set up , 2 of those 8-10 cabs and a flight of steep stairs put dread on every load in load out ... great bunch around here , hope you post lots ...6S9L

SuperSwede
October 7th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Welcome Hog! Do you still have any gear from the "old" times?

Hogfullofblues
October 8th, 2006, 06:13 AM
No, I sold or traded most of it, and my brother "borrowed" what remained years ago. I did find a Yamaha G240 acoustic in my parents basement that they tell me I stored there that is in quite nice condition after sitting for 30 years (must have been the humidity?). Funny thing is, I don't remember how I came to own it-musta been a trade. In fact, that is the guitar the started me off on this quest.
Now had I kept any of that equipment, or the Lionel train set, or the baseball cards, or my Mad magazine collection, or my coin collection, or the pre '64 Winchester, or the '66 Vette, or the ...
Oh well.

zeusse
October 8th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Hey Hog welcome I'm new here just getting my feet wet too

Tone2TheBone
October 9th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Welcome Hogster...... :)