PDA

View Full Version : So, what songs do you enjoy playing...

Katastrophe
May 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM
... as a warm up for practice?

While sitting in front of the TV?

I was goofing around on the gitfiddle yesterday, just playing some scale patterns and noodling.

I noticed what I was playing sounded familiar. Rearranged the fingers a bit... and it was Funk #49! Pulled up YouTube, and was jamming along within 10 minutes. It was a blast to play.

So, are there any songs you've "accidently" fell into learning?

Are there any songs that are just a joy for you to play, no matter how many times you play 'em?

Tig
May 19th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Easy, "Need Your Love So Bad", by Peter Green/Fleetwood Mack. There are so many different lead lines and style you can take, it never gets old.
Backing track:
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/fleetwood_mac/need_your_love_so_bad.htm

I also love the melody of "Some Day My Prince Will Come", and the endless lead or rhythm lines you can come up with. Sweet jazzyness! I forgot where I got the backing track from.

Eric
May 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM
At some point I was futzing with a pentatonic scale and fell into 'Moby Dick' by Led Zep. I find that it keeps my fingers entertained.

There's a Phish song or two that I like to chip away at as well.

street music
May 19th, 2010, 02:21 PM
:thwap You mean this noise is suppose to make a song?

REally, I guess that I enjoy playing Hotel California as much as most any of the songs, I like playing "On A Cloud", Imagine, Yesterday, House of The Rising Sun, or It's My Life.

Tig
May 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I shoulda' mentioned Steely Dan's "Reeling In The Years", but I'm still working on it. A timeless classic to play or listen to.
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/steely_dan/reeling_in_the_years.htm

tremoloman
May 19th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I have this odd habit of learning TV openings/video game themes to shows I really like.

I've accidentally taught myself:

Donkey Kong background/opening music (don't ask!)
MXC Theme (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge)
Pink Panther Theme
Law & Order
Pressure Cooker (Atari 2600 music)
Space Battleship Yamato
The Inspector
The Rockford Files
The Munsters

These songs work well to open with when you come back from a break when playing live.

Eric
May 20th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I shoulda' mentioned Steely Dan's "Reeling In The Years", but I'm still working on it. A timeless classic to play or listen to.
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/steely_dan/reeling_in_the_years.htm
I've been meaning to start chipping away at this one. Maybe the backing track will help. Thanks.

mainestratman
May 20th, 2010, 06:00 AM
There's isn't really any "lead" work in it, but I absolutely LOVE playing "Turning Japanese" as covered by Incubus.

Jimi75
May 20th, 2010, 06:29 AM
SRV - Pride & Joy
It's been my curse for some couple of months now. I pick up the guitar and start to play that song...

Before that it was SRV's version of Mary had a little lamb.

:thwap

oldguy
May 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
"La Grange" and "Nightlife", depending on my mood. One boogies, the other can be played simple and sweet, or use some jazz chords and make it neat.

Katastrophe
May 20th, 2010, 06:33 PM
"La Grange" and "Nightlife", depending on my mood. One boogies, the other can be played simple and sweet, or use some jazz chords and make it neat.

Two great tunes, OG... I sat it with the person who taught me my first chords at my stepsister's wedding, and played little fills to "Nightlife." Great song! Got some great compliments that night, too.

sumitomo
May 20th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I start noodling licks,but I always end up playing a song Con Dios,open chord stuff but it really changes things for me.Sumi:D

Tone2TheBone
May 20th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Beatles songs.

R_of_G
May 21st, 2010, 07:53 AM
Beatles songs.

:applause

I find myself playing them a lot when I'm not thinking of what to play and just playing.

The thing I most often play when I don't know what else to play or am not consciously thinking about it is Albert Ayler's "Our Prayer." It's a beautiful little melodic theme which can be improvised around quite nicely and sets up a lot of cool harmonic elements depending on how you play it. Marc Ribot uses the piece as a short introduction to his versions of Ayler's "Bells" with his groups Spiritual Unity and Shrek.

nickydiaz
May 21st, 2010, 01:11 PM
Paul Butterfields "Lovin' Cup" Love that opening riff. It was also covered by Robbin Ford. He does it way better than me, but it's still fun to play.

tjcurtin1
May 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM
Beatles 'Get Back' - have always loved the riff and solo. Makes an easy warm-up.

bigoldron
May 25th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hold On Loosely - 38 Special, Just Got Paid & LaGrange - ZZ Top, China Grove - Doobie Brothers, Gimme Three Steps - Skynyrd, Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas, Rock and Roll Hootchie Koo - Rick Derringer. When I'm fiddling around, I'll usually wind up playing one or all of these...

sunvalleylaw
May 25th, 2010, 08:30 AM
... as a warm up for practice? Heart of Gold (old standard), Red Haired Boy (bluegrass fiddle tune, great for warming up my right hand) or American Pie (lots of chord changes)

While sitting in front of the TV? Somewhere over the Rainbow or Gravity, maybe a fiddle tune

I was goofing around on the gitfiddle yesterday, just playing some scale patterns and noodling.

I noticed what I was playing sounded familiar. Rearranged the fingers a bit... and it was Funk #49! Pulled up YouTube, and was jamming along within 10 minutes. It was a blast to play.

So, are there any songs you've "accidently" fell into learning? Not really, I am not that good yet.

Are there any songs that are just a joy for you to play, no matter how many times you play 'em? Gravity, Black Magic Woman, Somewhere over the Rainbow (esp. in combination with Wonderful World, If I had a Million Dollars

Hmm, due to lack of playing time, I have been getting locked into too few tunes. I better add some! :AOK