PDA

View Full Version : Relicing Guitars - For conversation sake???

Mark
October 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM
This is what I posted elsewhere about all this relicing nonsense and it was spurred by this link

http://www.fender.com/blackie/ and this

http://www.coda-music.co.uk/Fender%20Cust%20Shop/Fender%20Blackie.pdf

Im sorry and not to offend anyones taste if its your thing well, OK. BUT that being said this make a new guitar beat it, scratch it, burn it ..whatever so it can look "OLD and VINTAGE" is the biggest load of marketing horsedung I have ever seen. I feel for those who pay a premium for this nonsense. I do have a Clapton Strat and it looks like new and it will age slowly with me and I wont have to pay some craftsman who's time would be better spent building fine guitars rather than gouging hacking a scraping a fine instrument for the sake of turning into a psuedo relic. These are NEW guitars and all the damage in the world wont make them vintage and it wont sound any better for the trouble, all that happens is someone get relieved of thier money for this "percieved service" so people can hang a phoney old looking guitar from their necks. Just food for thought I guess?

Spudman
October 7th, 2006, 03:58 PM
You know...if I find one beat up that I fall in love with then no problem, but I'm certainly not going to intentionally buy a 'new' beat up guitar. That's MY job.:)

Americans are so good a finding market niches. I guess there is enough demand for beat up guitars that they'll just do them at the factory. You know what? It just looks mojo. I hasn't really been through the sweat, the smoke and the booze and tears. I can do that on my own, and I'll keep the finish in good enough condition that 30 years down the road it's worth a lot more than one that was tossed around.

Mark
October 7th, 2006, 04:08 PM
QUOTE: You know...if I find one beat up that I fall in love with then no problem, but I'm certainly not going to intentionally by a 'new' beat up guitar. That's MY job

Thats exactly what I think Im just long winded expressing it. If there is any Mojo at all it will be from those years of blood sweat and tears.

tot_Ou_tard
October 7th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I read the title as re-lice-ing not relic-ing & I was *confused*.

I think buying a relic-ified gitfiddle is like buying jeans with the holes already in the knees.

As Spud said, that's my job.

Mark
October 7th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Well Im certianly not paying to have lice re-installed on my guitar. New for 07 StratoLICE the little buggers will have ya picking and scratching in a very musical way! LMAO

tot_Ou_tard
October 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I always wonder when the relic craze is gonna hit cosmetic surgery.

Young'uns gettin' spare tire implants, wrinkles added, and hair untransplants for that desirable faux patterned baldness look.

Plank_Spanker
October 10th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I've never understood, nor bought into, the "new vintage" thing. I guess it looks "cool".

All of my guitars will age gracefully, the old fashoined way - millions of notes; lots of beer, blood and sweat and all of the road rash that comes from playing tons of gigs.

Josh
October 10th, 2006, 07:00 PM
It's like distressing and preshredding jeans. If you're stupid enough to pay someone else to damage their product before they sell it to you, then by all means, be my guest and send them your money. As for me, I almost cried when I scratched the paint on my guitar the first time. Relic-ing a guitar is just taking the poser factor to the max. I'm pretty confident that relic'd guitars won't hold their value too well either. Imagine what a guitar that looked like it was forty years old when it was new is going to look like in forty years.

Plank_Spanker
October 10th, 2006, 07:12 PM
The poly finishes will definitely not age like nitro finishes. They'll look "new" for a long time......................

I certainly don't have a problem playing a shiny new axe. :D