PDA

View Full Version : Tip for quick wiring a PA

Spudman
May 19th, 2010, 07:14 PM
If you are using rack cases that house your amps and outboard gear separately from your mixer then you have to unplug everything from the mixer to tear down.

I use 2 rack cases with amps, crossover, delay, exciter and EQ,s and then have my 1604 VLZ in a separate case that sits on top of the stacked rack cases. Setups were a pain until I started leaving the TRS and other cables plugged into the units in the racks and just unhooking them from the mixer or wherever. That was still a pain because I had to track down where each lose cable end was connected every time I set up.

I got some thin and short zip ties and bundled groups of cables according to what they were plugged in to and their location. Then I labeled the ends with butcher tape and a black Sharpie so I knew exactly where they plugged in to. Set up is now a breeze and takes very little time.

hubberjub
May 20th, 2010, 06:59 AM
That's not how I do it. When I set up the PA it involves much more drinking, cursing, and realizing that you forgot a speaker cable. There's also the unavoidable, "I don't care if you want more vocals in the monitor. That's what you're getting." conversation.

mainestratman
May 20th, 2010, 07:07 AM
"I don't care if you want more vocals in the monitor. That's what you're getting."

I wish I had a nickel every time I've had to say that...

Spudman
May 20th, 2010, 09:56 AM
That's not how I do it. When I set up the PA it involves much more drinking, cursing, and realizing that you forgot a speaker cable. There's also the unavoidable, "I don't care if you want more vocals in the monitor. That's what you're getting." conversation.

That's the way it used to be but the clubs kept running out of my favorite beer before we even started playing.

BigJD
May 22nd, 2010, 10:44 AM
So this is what I have done. I just plug everything in up front now, so easy a drummer can do it!

Spudman
May 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
So this is what I have done. I just plug everything in up front now, so easy a drummer can do it!
dOOOD! Wrong tape.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411%2BCzJLEsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
A little pricey but worth it
http://audio-video-supply.markertek.com/search?w=console+tape