PDA

View Full Version : The new Dominos pizza - good or bad?

tremoloman
May 19th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I see there are no threads in the forum so I figured I'd create one.

As many of you know, Dominos pizza has changed their recipe and and has been hyping the hell out of it since the Super Bowl.

For those of you who have tried it, what do you think?

Spudman
May 19th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I like that the sauce has a little more 'zing' to it. I think I noticed more garlic on the crust too. So it has more flavor than the old Dominos. Otherwise, I still prefer the local delivery pizza (non chain) in my town. They blow Dominos away.

mainestratman
May 20th, 2010, 05:16 AM
We don't have a Domino's up here. But.. adding a few more spices to stuff doesn't not a good pizza make.

We stick to pizza from a semi-local (next town over) convenience store. It's the same pizza I grew up with, and is the absolute best in the world, IMHO. When pizza starts getting "fancy", I start losing interest in it. :-)

Commodore 64
May 20th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I keep forgetting to try it. Usually go local.

sunvalleylaw
May 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I guess I like the sauce better, but the crust still tastes like oversweet doughnut pastry to me. Bleh! We have a lot of local places, and one in particular, that blows it away. Not a big fan.

R_of_G
May 20th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I don't do corporate pizza.

Eric
May 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I don't do corporate pizza.
That seems to be the consensus. I honestly didn't know they had even changed. I don't consciously avoid the big-name ones, but I just never wind up having them.

sumitomo
May 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Wood fired brick over nuff said! Sumi:D

Commodore 64
May 21st, 2010, 03:17 AM
Tried it last night. Better than before, but still not my preferred pizza.

Kazz
May 21st, 2010, 04:25 AM
I agree with C64....much better than before...but I prefer traditional Una style thin cracker crust pizza. However with Dominoes matching Pizza Hut's 10 bucks for any type of pie.....it will do in a pinch

Katastrophe
May 21st, 2010, 06:25 AM
I dig it! I think the new recipe is a huge improvement over the old one. Gotta give Domino's credit for at least making the attempt to listen to their customers.

Of course, a mom/pop pizza shop is going to taste better, but out of the national brands big D has make my pizza choice more difficult. The online order tracker is cool, too!

mainestratman
May 21st, 2010, 07:28 AM
Right this second, I'd love a big ol' pizza... I shouldn't have skipped breakfast...

Tig
May 21st, 2010, 07:41 AM
That seems to be the consensus. I honestly didn't know they had even changed. I don't consciously avoid the big-name ones, but I just never wind up having them.

+1 that. The local Mom-n-Pop pizza place gets our business, even though we don't eat pizza all that much. The boys could live off of pizza and macaroni-n-cheese if we let 'em!

R_of_G
May 21st, 2010, 07:48 AM

I only know of the recipe change because the commercials for it are nearly ubiquitous during sports broadcasts of which I watch far too much during playoff season. :)

MAXIFUNK
May 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM
that's not pizza at all.

tremoloman
May 22nd, 2010, 07:25 AM
Pizza is so subjective. I don't feel there is one "THE BEST" out there. Three are just too many types and styles.

The local family owned pizza joint is normally going to taste better than a chain, but I could take you to some pizza joints around my house that would make you wish you had ordered a Dominos pizza.

Somtimes like thin bar pizza, other times I prefer deep dish.

My favorite right now is one called "Boston Baked Bean" pizza from a local but well respected dive called The Lynwood Cafe in Randolph, MA. Their pizza is so friggen good and there tons of people waiting to get in during dinnertime.

http://www.hiddenboston.com/images/Lynwood.jpg

Boston Baked Bean pizza might sound nasty, but with the brown sugar melting in with the cheese and sauce, it just tastes SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!

sumitomo
May 24th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I'll bet that bean pizza keeps ya warm on a cold night!Sumi:D

drunkinminer
May 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I will never eat their crappy pizza again. The last time I had one of their pizzas it was the worst one I ever had and swore I would never eat there again. I've had frozen pizza that tasted better. Their pizza would have to be much better then the cardboard they tried passing of as pizza before I would try it again.

thearabianmage
May 30th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Over here Domino's is the dog's bollocks, albeit expensive. Dunno bout any change, though. But I usually eat TGF because they're cheaper and do stuffed cheese & jalapeno crust. Pizza. . . drool. . .

omegadot
July 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I used to get Dominoes for free when I worked at dirt track as a kid doing concessions. I didn't even eat it then. I've always thought the crust was terrible. Some love, though, so fair enough.

Like most my favorites are local stars. Place called Matty's pizzeria in Batavia, NY is my perfect pizza. There are a number in the area though. Also quite a few small places that I thought were just terrible. Some small business owners are also out for a cheap buck.