PDA

View Full Version : Better with age

syo
May 20th, 2010, 07:11 AM
As I've gotten older I've become a little proccupied with artists and their aging processes. Their physical appearance sure, but especially their musical relevance. I think most artists lose their edge and innovation not long after achieving success. For me, Nick Cave has only gotten better and better. Often with artists that I like who are over 40, their newest releases are to some degree, an excercise in rehashing past glory. But not Nick. He's more relevant than ever.

I wonder, who (after 20+ years on the scene) do you think still "has it"?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/56KHBswxMiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/56KHBswxMiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

R_of_G
May 20th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Tom Waits
Bob Dylan
David Byrne
Elvis Costello

Tig
May 20th, 2010, 09:31 AM
It took a while, but Peter Frampton finally showed his potential in the instrumental "Fingerprints" release a few years ago. His newest release, "Thank You, Mr. Chruchhill" isn't too shabby, either. He has matured as an artist and player rather well.

Here's the studio footage recording with the Funk Brothers.

22sRXjkUi7Q

"Float" from the Fingerprints album.

7g5cCbCc6Jg

P.D. -Warren Haynes keeps getting better and better.

Spudman
May 20th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Roine Stolt is one of those guys. He started with Kaipa in the 1970s. Now listen to the latest Transatlantic album The Whirlwind. That's him 35 years later. He is constantly moving forward. I don't understand how he does it. He's composed so much material in the past yet his new stuff never sounds like the past. Incredible.

oldguy
May 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM
John Fogerty.

Katastrophe
May 20th, 2010, 07:45 PM
For metalheads out there -

Testament - Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson - still making excellent music after 20 + years in the biz.

09rHDabBQfA

Paul Gilbert - Still making the most difficult shred look easy.

ES1RypBww_g

Eric
May 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Paul Gilbert - Still making the most difficult shred look easy.

ES1RypBww_g
I've always liked that tune, which I think is from his Racer X days, yeah?

You know, while I think Paul Gilbert is pretty cool, I must say that I think those painted f holes on his signature Ibanez look incredibly stupid. I can't tell if they're a joke or not...let's just hope they are, though that doesn't change how dumb they look.

bcdon
May 20th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Johnny Cash (RIP).
i1xSt7iganA
o22eIJDtKho

deeaa
May 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM
You know, while I think Paul Gilbert is pretty cool, I must say that I think those painted f holes on his signature Ibanez look incredibly stupid. I can't tell if they're a joke or not...let's just hope they are, though that doesn't change how dumb they look.

+1