PDA

View Full Version : Couple of new gigs coming up

Robert
May 21st, 2010, 07:25 AM
I'm gigging with Myra again, and this time we are playing a couple of Bonamassa tunes.

We practiced Pack It Up last night. What a killer song! That's awesomely fun to play in a band, I tell ya.

We have 3 gigs coming up in June.

Spudman
May 21st, 2010, 07:38 AM
Cool for you. Getting to play some Joe B would be fun for sure.

We've got a gig this weekend over in Teton Valley. I think it's one of those places with chicken wire around the stage.

Katastrophe
May 21st, 2010, 07:42 AM
Awesome!

So how do you balance two bands, your video demos, practice, Dolphinstreet, running, family life, a day job and The Fret?

I hope you don't mind me asking...

Robert
May 21st, 2010, 07:51 AM
Awesome!

So how do you balance two bands, your video demos, practice, Dolphinstreet, running, family life, a day job and The Fret?

I hope you don't mind me asking...

Err... I don't do it so well. The yard work is suffering a great deal ... :bootyshake

And I'm just not getting enough sleep. Being in 2 bands is too much for me. I just want to get a set list practiced up, and then just do a gig now and then.

Holiday on Monday, can't wait! I'll teach guitar on that day and continue my new blues lesson project... ;)

By the way, we also do Wild About You as recorded by Joe B. I get to play some slide then! :what

Katastrophe
May 21st, 2010, 07:51 AM
Cool for you. Getting to play some Joe B would be fun for sure.

We've got a gig this weekend over in Teton Valley. I think it's one of those places with chicken wire around the stage.

Playing "Stand By Your Man", followed by a police chase through a mall would be appropriate here, methinks.

Jimi75
May 21st, 2010, 08:25 AM
Sound great Robert, playing all June long! :applause
By the way, Joe B. songs are great songs to cover!
We also cover some Joe B tunes.

Brian Krashpad
May 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Break a leg Robert!

I've got a show tonight, will have to clock out soon, shave, and pack the axes (guitars and mandolins) back in the van, it's in the 90's F here today and even parking under the trees that's too hot to leave them outside all day. Need to be downtown by 5, hopefully going on around 6. Praying the rain misses us this week.

Supposed to play tomorrow night too, but there's some cockup at the venue-- another band also has been saying they are playing the same time we are supposed to. Been trying to get it sorted since I found out yesterday. If I end up driving all the way across town (probably 35-40 minutes from Casa Krashpad) with a loaded van only to be told I'm not playing, I will not be a happy camper.

Spudman
May 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
Break a leg Robert!

I've got a show tonight, will have to clock out soon, shave, and pack the axes (guitars and mandolins) back in the van, it's in the 90's F here today and even parking under the trees that's too hot to leave them outside all day. Need to be downtown by 5, hopefully going on around 6. Praying the rain misses us this week.

90 degrees!? I'd kill for that. I just went for a 50 mile bike ride and it's 55 degrees and sprinkling. I have a gig tomorrow too and it's supposed to rain all day and be in the low 40s. At least I'll be able to wear a fashionable long sleeve shirt since it wont be too hot. It's easy to cover the needle tracks that way.

Robert
May 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
Have fun Brian!

I just got word - I'm needed for a country gig tonight! Short notice, but I said yes. Right after work I'm packing up the gear and heading out for an hour drive to play country lead licks all night long... :D

Brian Krashpad
May 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
90 degrees!? I'd kill for that. I just went for a 50 mile bike ride and it's 55 degrees and sprinkling. I have a gig tomorrow too and it's supposed to rain all day and be in the low 40s. At least I'll be able to wear a fashionable long sleeve shirt since it wont be too hot. It's easy to cover the needle tracks that way.

Dude, I'll switch places w/you in NY minute.

The Long Hot Summer began several weeks ago here and won't end until September.

:(

Setting up in 90 degree F heat ain't no fun. Much less playing in it. Thank God we have a beer tab.

Dude, needle tracks? Srsly? You haven't heard of between your toes or in your ear, etc. ?

Arms are SO Seventies.

Brian Krashpad
May 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Have fun Brian!

I just got word - I'm needed for a country gig tonight! Short notice, but I said yes. Right after work I'm packing up the gear and heading out for an hour drive to play country lead licks all night long... :D

Country? Well y'all better scoot, you ol' booger.

Spudman
May 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
Setting up in 90 degree F heat ain't no fun. Much less playing in it. Thank God we have a beer tab.

Dude, needle tracks? Srsly? You haven't heard of between your toes or in your ear, etc. ?

Arms are SO Seventies.
:rollover Chocolate milk came out my nose. I haven't even had chocolate milk.

Okay, I did have a little chocolate milk.

Brian Krashpad
May 22nd, 2010, 05:35 AM
:rollover Chocolate milk came out my nose. I haven't even had chocolate milk.

Okay, I did have a little chocolate milk.

Glad I could help.

I'm a helper.

Btw, got everything set up last night, played one song as a sound check, sounded great.

Boom. Lightning and thunder. We had about 5 minutes before the wet hit, same as a couple weeks ago. Except this time it also HAILED. Yep, li'l pieces of ice on the ground in 90 degree weather.

Tried to set up in the indoor "mall" portion of the shops but the piped-in music was on autopilot for the weekend-- no one knew how to turn it off! :mad

So, at least I got a free beer. Then we dried everything off and loaded out. I hung out with our drummer. Arturo, for awhile before giving him a ride home. He and I went over and had another beer at the Irish place some friends were playing at a few blocks away, but only one of them was there (still early), then wandered over to the community plaza, a US Navy band was playing pop/rock on the outdoor stage. Weird seeing a rock band in dress whites. They were good of course, but also squeeky clean and pretty cheezy. Had some food and a third beer at the same li'l place we'd played outdoors at the preceding Thursday (overlooks the plaza/stage) and said hey to the staff/mgt. Also ran into my bassiste who was a founding member of Crash Pad back in '96, she was watching the plaza band with her husband (also a musician, and a rapper) and their daughter.

By the time I stopped for gas on the way home and dropped off my drummer, it was past 10 p.m.-- almost as late as if we'd played. Tonight we play INDOORS, yay!

Robert--how'd the country gig go?

street music
May 22nd, 2010, 06:32 AM
Guys this is great stuff you get to play gigs all around but doesn't 75 degrees sound nice to you? It has been running 65 to 75 for the last week here, now they are forecasting 80s next week, maybe summer is finally on the way.

Brian Krashpad
May 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Guys this is great stuff you get to play gigs all around but doesn't 75 degrees sound nice to you? It has been running 65 to 75 for the last week here, now they are forecasting 80s next week, maybe summer is finally on the way.

Man, I would LOVE that weather.

The Long Hot Summer started several weeks ago here.

Robert
May 22nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
Well, my gig was interesting...

It was a fundraiser for the foodbank, and when I got there, there was already a lead guitar player on stage! I think the guy (the vocalist) who hired me wanted two guitar players, even though the vocalist already played rhythm guitar.

Anyway, we get there at 7, and I'm asking when do we start the gig. Right away, he said. Okidooki, we set up fast and start playing. The place was gym. What's the crowd like? :D Well, 1, 2, 3, about 4 people in the audience... :(

We play 3 sets and by the end of the night, we're up to maybe 20 people, including a bunch of little kids.

They had a bunch of draw prizes, and the band got tickets for this too. I think they had more prizes than people, so of course everyone in the band got a draw prize when the time came to call the numbers.

I even got good pay for this gig - kinda feel guilty taking the money considering the "thinly spread crowd", the draw prizes and the free food. Oh well, better luck next time I guess?

Brian Krashpad
May 22nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
That sounds cool, Robert! Good onya for taking something short notice like that, especially for a chairity.

The pay/prizes was just karma coming around.