PDA

View Full Version : Japanese food

Robert
May 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM
I love sushi and sashimi, but we don't have any good japanese restaurants in our city.

Right now, there is an EDO Japan being built across the road from my office. It's not too bad for being fast food.

What's your thoughts on favourite Japanese food?

Commodore 64
May 21st, 2010, 11:26 AM
Spicy Scallop Maki
Rainbow Roll
Salmon sushi/sashimi/

bcdon
May 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM
What's your thoughts on favourite Japanese food?

I love sushi (and Japanese food in general)! Vancouver has some of the best sushi places too. Cheap too. Next time you are up here, I'll take you to some of them.

For special occasions, I love http://www.mikurestaurant.com/ which specializes in "Aburi" (flame-seared) dishes. Great with wine!

I also dig their Izakaya restaurants (Japanese pub food) and what's better than a Japadog (http://www.japadog.com/en/) on a nice summer day?

Man, I'm hungry now! :)

sumitomo
May 21st, 2010, 12:25 PM
I like Sushi Sue! Sumi:D

Tig
May 21st, 2010, 12:36 PM
I like Sushi Sue! Sumi:D

No raw fish for me, thanks! Otherwise, I love Japanese food, but why does it cost so much compared to Chinese or Vietnamese food?

The ever flamboyant Tubes...
E_QGolK1oJQ

Robert
May 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM
Expensive? Well, probably because the fish has to be very fresh, compared to the Chinese deep fried stuff which sits on a burner for days.... :whatever:

Don, I saw those Japadog stands when I was in Vancouver, and I noticed the lineups were huge! What the heck is a Japadog? They must be good, judging by the lineups in the streets.

Tig
May 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM
Expensive? Well, probably because the fish has to be very fresh, compared to the Chinese deep fried stuff which sits on a burner for days.... :whatever:

No deep fry for me, either. Stir fry, baby!

bcdon
May 31st, 2010, 07:52 PM
Don, I saw those Japadog stands when I was in Vancouver, and I noticed the lineups were huge! What the heck is a Japadog? They must be good, judging by the lineups in the streets.

It really is good. They have dogs made out of a kind of Japanese pork and even a fish-based sausage which I haven't tried. The dogs are really tasty and have toppings like sea-weed and Japanese mayo. I know it may sound weird but I like it (almost) as much as the Chicago style dogs I used to feast upon back in the Windy City.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aAuoyqG_aqg/SJFx6I_3ssI/AAAAAAAAD1I/p-F8TUzsqSY/s400/japadog.jpg
http://imonlyhereforthefood.com/images/Food/JapaDog/JapaDog-Pender006.jpg

otaypanky
May 31st, 2010, 09:20 PM
I never ate fish as a kid, my family didn't eat it. Then in 1983 I had a customer who was Japanese. He and his wife has a few sushi restaurants. He took me out to eat. I liked Tom a lot, but I wasn't happy about this situation. I had no interest in eating fish, let alone raw fish. He ordered in Japanese so I had no idea what was coming.
Boy, was I surprised ! It was absolutely incredibly delicious!!!
It became my favorite food, a treat for special occasions. But I haven't eaten it for 6 years now since I learned how endangered the big tuna have become. That was one of my favorites

sunvalleylaw
May 31st, 2010, 10:47 PM
I never ate it until I dated my wife. We always have enjoyed it as a special night. In fact, I proposed by having the ring sent out on top of an "after order" after finishing our normal assortment plate. The whole restaurant cheered. :AOK :AOK

otaypanky
June 1st, 2010, 12:47 AM
I never ate it until I dated my wife. We always have enjoyed it as a special night. In fact, I proposed by having the ring sent out on top of an "after order" after finishing our normal assortment plate. The whole restaurant cheered. :AOK :AOK

Smoooooth move :AOK

red
June 1st, 2010, 01:54 AM
Yep, _love_ sushi. Love it. I do have several Japanese restaurants where I live (and a few supermarkets that sell it), but unfortunately they're not cheap at all so I tend to get it once every couple of weeks or less.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with everything Japanese cuisine has to offer (and I'm sure it's much more than sushi) - so that's all I can contribute... :)

marnold
June 1st, 2010, 08:02 AM
Curious that eating sushi seems weird to me, but, as a good German-American, I enjoy few things more than some raw ground beef on pumpernickel with onions and a pinch of salt. You have to have a good butcher who makes it specifically for this purpose.

Of course, living in smallish Midwest towns all my life, the possibility of coming into contact with Japanese food (sushi in particular) is relatively small. Most of what I know about sushi comes from Dr. Steve Brule: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lty7RAHKT9E (They don't allow for embedding.)

thearabianmage
June 1st, 2010, 08:27 AM
Thank the gods for Tesco and Sainsbury's - they sell veg sushi (makazushi and nigirizushi) with some soy sauce and wasabi. Brilliant! :D

FrankenFretter
June 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM
I love sushi! Unagi (bbq'd eel) is my favorite. I haven't been able to eat much since I moved to Oregon, and my fiancee doesn't like sushi. Fortunately they just opened a sushi bar half a block from my house. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I have high hopes!

otaypanky
June 1st, 2010, 09:12 PM
Mmm, smoked eel hand roll !!!

Jimi75
June 2nd, 2010, 03:56 AM
I like Sushi a lot. and to e honest, that's about the only Japanese food I know. I could imagine that the Japanese kitchen has way more to offer. I hate everything thoug that has to do with eating alive animals, whales, brains and stuff.